Who actually rules a planet?

Separation of powers.

In this case, the judicial would be concerned with crimes against the Imperium, rather than shoplifting at the corner Seven Eleven.

As I said before, you can make up whatever you want. Because there is absolutely nothing of significance written about what Barons and Counts do, if anything, and even less about how the Imperium gets revenue and acquires the land it gives away in all these fiefs.

Imperial government starts at the subsector. That is explicitly stated multiple times, including in Agents of the Imperium's final pages. Barons, Marquises, and Counts don't govern anything, unless you consider the advisory role of the membership in the regional and Imperial Moots to be "governing."

Per T5, fiefs are scattered over multiple worlds if you are more than a knight. Baronets and Barons have theirs scattered over multiple worlds in the same system. Marquis and Viscounts have fiefs across multiple systems in the same subsector. Counts and Dukes can have their fiefs scattered all around the sector. For whatever that's worth.

1. You have to wonder what's the political utility of nobility.

2. Using William the Conqueror's model, fiefs are spread out to prevent centralization of power bases.

3. Also, as I mentioned before, it's easier to pay off people with money, especially if you're the one's printing it.

4. Perhaps, the Catholic Church's hierarchy is a closer match, as they are spiritual leaders.

5. Sometimes, they also wield active secular authority.

There is a lot of elaboration that could be done on this topic.

We there is an Imperium government structure which is constituted by nobles, and is organized by subsector and sector. It has authority in starports, and over Imperium military installations and scout bases, and in space between planets. Except that planetary governments also seem to have some authority within their systems. If a murder occurs in in orbit of an inhabited planet, under what laws is the accused tried? If it occurs on another planet in the same system? Given that players do sometimes end up involved in matters that might or might not be murders, it could be important....

Then there are the nobles. They have fiefs, but are these extra territorial to the planets they are on? If so, are they under Imperial law, or under direct private governance? Perhaps, like medieval fiefs they have some kind of patchwork governance. I would be surprised if Imperial don't have a lot of authority in their own fiefs - so perhaps a degree of extraterritoriality - usually waived so as to keep good relations with the locals (as diplomatic immunity usually is), but it could be exercised if there is an important reason to do so. The nobles would need a staff - I would guess they have both a personal staff for their personal affairs - perhaps hereditary bonds of service - and also an Imperial government staff, overseeing the military, taxation, diplomatic and other matters. One can imagine someone unfairly accused of a crime might make a run for the Imperial noble's fiefdom, hoping to evade local law - and, if there is reason to give asylum - it could put the Imperial noble in a difficult political bind.

I think governance of subsectors and sectors would be separate from the fiefdoms, so paid for by taxes from the planetary governments, providing military, antipiracy patrols and ensuring free trade. Free trade is a lot more complicated than one might think. There are matters that it would need to handle, which relate to free trade, such as safety in shipping (if everyone has their own safety standards, governments start to use this as a way to interfere with commerce - if you can't stop the cheap goods coming in, you can stop the ships they are on). This gets into licensing of starfaring crew etc. Still, the government could be fairly limited, to standard setting. But what if it needs to deal out justice too (i.e. outside planetary government jurisdiction)? Then it needs a more developed legal system.

There might be conflicts of interest between what an Imperial noble's fiefdom's interest is , and the needs of subsector governance, which could result in interesting politics, possibly open, or possibly via hidden corruption.

It seems like the Imperium is a complex, multi-level polity with various centers of power. In this context, who rules a planet? is an interesting question without a straightforward answer.

1. I'm pretty sure it's governance by exception.

2. Planetary micromanagement is probably counterproductive.

3. As long as taxes are paid and Imperium laws are not broken, there's no need to intercede.

4. That's why I think that Imperium nobility is there more to have an Imperium representative that can be appealed to in that regard.

5. If an Imperium citizen is killed or involved in a major crime, whose residence is off planet, then they might get involved.

5. If an Imperium citizen is killed or involved in a major crime, whose residence is off planet, then they might get involved.
These kinds of disputes are likely to happen a lot: major crimes are one aspect, but legal disputes involving large sums of money are also going to come up. This could be managed through extradition agreements between planets in the first instance, and choice of governing law in contracts in the second - which could result in disagreements between planetary legal systems. The Imperium could either stay out of it, or act as an arbiter of last resort: either way is plausible.

These kinds of disputes are likely to happen a lot: major crimes are one aspect, but legal disputes involving large sums of money are also going to come up. This could be managed through extradition agreements between planets in the first instance, and choice of governing law in contracts in the second - which could result in disagreements between planetary legal systems. The Imperium could either stay out of it, or act as an arbiter of last resort: either way is plausible.
I would think this is where the sub sector and sector nobility titles come into play. Arbiters to negotiate the jurisdiction/settlements between systems.

If counts are multiple systems, they're more likely to be cooperative with each other.

Despite the apparent financial costs of Travelling, quite a number turn up from distant quadrants, so they're more likely to appeal to the local Imperium representative, or at least, his representatives.

As I said before, you can make up whatever you want. Because there is absolutely nothing of significance written about what Barons and Counts do, if anything, and even less about how the Imperium gets revenue and acquires the land it gives away in all these fiefs.
Did Chris leave that out of the Third Imperium book? I know there are some writings from MegaTraveller days, and in GURPS Nobles. Most recently (Mongoose Third Imperium aside) in Imperiallines 7, published by FFE via DriveThru.

Imperial government starts at the subsector. That is explicitly stated multiple times, including in Agents of the Imperium's final pages. Barons, Marquises, and Counts don't govern anything, unless you consider the advisory role of the membership in the regional and Imperial Moots to be "governing."
The Imperial Moot is indeed a governing body, in its own way. If a sector or Domain also hold local Moots and you are a member, you are part of the policy setting body for Imperial governance in that region.

The Third Imperium has some fluff about sub Duke level nobles hanging around and pestering the actual government to be pro trade without being too annoying about it.

"The role of the noble is to maintain an aloof presence, be a caretaker for the Emperor but not one who interferes in the daily governance of worlds other than to ensure that the flow of trade is unimpeded and citizens do not violate Imperial law. Should the latter occur, the noble has little direct power to influence a preferable outcome."

As far as the Moot goes, yeah, they advise the Dukes and the Emperor, respectively. They don't have any control over the planets of the Imperium and they aren't really a legislative body. Their job is to convince the actual civil servants to do things they like and not do things they don't like. But they don't actually get to tell anyone what to do directly.

Back