Lone Wolf Fantasy Battle rules

A

Anonymous

I have read in a Project Aon´s newsletter that there was a project related to this, and I would like to know if Mongoose is planning to develop any mass battle system based on Lone Wolf, army lists, and so on…

Thank you for your time, and sorry about may English level.

It would be rather fun, wouldn't it?

Who else would like to see such a thing?

Or, more to the point, which of you who bought the RPG would _not_ buy into a miniatures game? And by miniatures game, I mean ranked units of unpainted plastic and metal figures, likely 28mm. . .

I have the book (of-course) and every sourcebook so far,but I'm not a huge fan of mini-battle-games...but on the other hand...I know that just about everyone else is likely going to like the idea...so ya go for it if you can talk the backers into it :D

Hey,

I wouldn't buy such a game; I find miniatures generally pointless in my rpg sessions, and therefore never buy any or feel the need to (although I do agree that there are some fantastic-looking minis and converted minis out there, more akin to works of art). As for wargaming of any kind, I find that only marginally more interesting than watching paint dry. Definitely not my cuppa.

cheers!
Colin

I think I would endorse this type of venture, as I'm a fan of wargames to start with.

The newsletter the original poster was talking about is one of the LW club newsletters from the mid-90's, where Joe was mentioning that he was in the process of developing a Lone Wolf wargame, and had some miniatures ready too, IIRC. Obviously nothing came out of that, and the project must have died. But a revival of that project would greatly spark my interest! :D

Oooo! On the one hand I have too many unpainted minis and the likelyhood of actually playing it more then a few times would be small. :? But it's Lone Wolf and I gotta own it! :)

So that's a definite maybe from me. :D

msprange said:
It would be rather fun, wouldn't it?

Who else would like to see such a thing?

Or, more to the point, which of you who bought the RPG would _not_ buy into a miniatures game? And by miniatures game, I mean ranked units of unpainted plastic and metal figures, likely 28mm. . .

Wow.. I'd love to see this. It might even persuade me to finish off my Helm's Deep scenery boards just to see if Giaks could succeed where the Uruk-Hai failed :D

I went to check the newsletters, and it seems the original LW Fantasy Battles game was supposed to be released in April of 1994.

Check out Gwynian the Sage's words of wisdom from this newsletter here:

http://www.projectaon.org/~simon/Newsletter_26.pdf

It seems it was supposed to be a 15mm game.

Then, in 1995, there was an update saying the game would be released the next year (1996).

http://www.projectaon.org/~simon/Newsletter_30.pdf

I'm not sure. I love wargames, but they can be expensive beasts, and as I have a Warhammer army (or three) on the go at the moment...

I'd love to say yes, but it would depend on the price and the rules. If it were a skirmish game, no. A mass battles game, possibly.

I said it before in another thread and I say it again now: Mongoose should try to acquire the rights for the old AD&D Battlesystem and redo it (something like "Battlesystem D20"). That would be great! :D

A most definite yes from me. :)

Just think how much fun it would be to be able to refight the Battle Of Raunon, the sacking of Toran, the seige of the Kai Monestary or the battle of Cetza. It would also provide a great opportunity to provide a more indepth militrary background to the major protagonists and and put together scenarios exploring some of the major battles from the books or history.

I would say Battle game rather than skirmish as you could get away with using the LW rules as they stand for playing out small skirmishes providing both players had a go at each side.

Would it be right to assume that the LW minis are selling well then... :D

I'd buy them, if they're plastic. I like miniatures, but the cost prevents me from having a growing collection. Plastic is cheaper and in many ways more desirable to me, as dropping them doesn't break them. How many people out there have a bunch of great miniatures with broken swords?

Yeah, I'll buy them. :)

Nerethel

No!
I'm definitely not interested in minis...
I prefer RpG imagination than minis battle calculation and I don't use the minis in a RpG.

I think that the best option would be expanding Mighty Armies into Magnamund setting, like was spoken in this forum some months ago, in SHIPS thread:

"While we are dreaming I would really like to see Mighty Magnamund Armies Box sets:

Darklord
Drakkarim
Vassagonian
Plague Lords of Ruel
Stornlands Mercenaries
Sommelending
Lencian
Durenor

£15 Mighty Magnamund Armies in a box now you are talking.

Mighty Magnamund Navies.

6 to 8 small scale warships dice rules everything you need to play all in one box £15!"

I think 15 mm would be the best scale for great battles, not another warhammer, pleaseee.

I intend to buy every RPG supplement to Lone Wolf plus all of the minis like those who are already out, but I would not buy any wargame minis, except as a Mighty Armies Magnamund Box set (one good and one evil).

I'd be happy with some Mighty army boxed sets but not just two. I'd like to see for a start.

Darklords(Giaks,helghast, doomwolves, kraan)
Drakkarim.
Sommelending.
Vassagonian.

One advantage is that you could model some of the bigger beasties like Kraan realistically

In addition to the boxed sets and blisters I'd like to see a stand alone rule book expanding the rules adding scenarios for famous battles, rules for allied play and campaigns. This is something I was working on any way when I still had a life here is a first draft that I did for the Sommelending army.

Sommelending Army

Unit Speed Fighting Support Special AP
Baron 6” +6 +2 GeneralTactician 6

Crystal Star Magician 3” +3 +1 Spell caster 5

Knights Triumphant 6” +4 +2 4

Toranese Archers 3” +2 +1 Shooting II Long Ranged 4

AnksavenHalberdiers 3” +3 +1 2

TysoSpearmen 3” +2 +2 2

Kai Lords 4” +4 +2 Mobile Scout Shooting II 5

Border Rangers 6” +3 +1 Mobile Shooting II 4

I've been painting up my LW minis and I'm going to have to change my mind. I would love to be able to use them in a battle game so I'm up for something in the same scale.

The minis produced so far are so nice it would be a real pity not to get to use them in a battle game. One question though would you envision a set of rules using minis on round bases? Obviously if you decide to use square bases for the battle rules any minis that I have based would be unusable or would require rebasing and I don't fancy that! :lol:

Winter Wolf said:
The minis produced so far are so nice it would be a real pity not to get to use them in a battle game. One question though would you envision a set of rules using minis on round bases? Obviously if you decide to use square bases for the battle rules any minis that I have based would be unusable or would require rebasing and I don't fancy that! :lol:

The LOTR strategy battle game by GW uses round bases for its miniatures and it works quite well. The main problem with that game, however, is when large numbers of troops come into play, as the amount of dice-rolling can get astronomical, since there are no units but instead dozens or even hundreds of individual soldiers in play. At least they introduced rules for volleys.

Back