B5 Novels & Graphic Novels by Mongoose?

personally i never found the b5 books to be any good, on ther own.

do they do have some use in covering storys that is only just metsioned in the show. that the books give in great detail. unfortunatly the books themselfs usaly arent written very well, even if the story told is good

My personal take on this, if anyone cares, is so what? If the novels are good, than they will be worth buying. If they are poor, than they aren't, whether JMS approved the outline or not. Besides, the only two areas that I think that his oversight is essential to are the Telepath War and the resolution of Crusade, both of which JMS has indicated he will keep to himself for some future (and highly unlikely) project. Beyond that, I was underwhelmed by both LotR and the unpublished Crusade scripts, so I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to see him muck with his own canon that much more. Since I am also of the opinion that the Babylon 5 universe is effectively dead outside of game products and tie-in novels, I think that canon will take care of itself as it is unlikely that there will be much new super-duper official product anytime soon.

Most importantly to me, his Mongoose bashing was in extremely poor taste and innapropriate for a public forum. Sadly, this kind of arrogant lashing out has become commonplace from JMS and has really diminished my respect for the man.

Matt

Actually, JMS never said anything at all, except when answering direct questions whether in person or online. I don't think that constitutes 'bashing'. JMS stated his point of view. Mr. Sprange has stated his. And now they seem to have taken it to email, as it should be.

Jan

I thought that any information that is published by Mongoose was approved by JMS, either for the ACTA game or B5 RPG. Is that not the case? Also, does this explain why the link to the B5 RPG is missing from the Mongoose website?

It would be unfortunate if there was a rift between JMS and Mongoose. JMS seems to be on hold with further B5 material, and Mongoose seems to be keeping the universe alive with all of their material for the games. I for one, hope they come to an understanding, as the B5 universe could rival Star Trek and Star Wars with source material, if there is opportunity to publish it.

I thought JMS inputs to the forum from time to time, so I hope he'll weigh in. It would be good for him to support Mongoose, as they are representative of the small business, that actually cares about the consumer.

Brother Theo

Brother Theo said:
I thought that any information that is published by Mongoose was approved by JMS, either for the ACTA game or B5 RPG. Is that not the case? Also, does this explain why the link to the B5 RPG is missing from the Mongoose website?

Brother Theo

I can't speak for the situation now but I can speak a bit about the AoG days. Gallery proofs went to Babylonian Productions and were reviewed over by some of the staff (Fionna in many cases). However, JMS generally didn't see them as the back and forth was a few levels below him. It was also generally understood that the material was considered canon by Babylonian Productions so long as JMS didn't disagree with it at any point. IOW, regardless of what was published he would write what he wanted to in the universe without regard for secondary materials. In personal conversations I was told that he generally didn't read the materials or express much interest with them himself. As a tiny example, it was directed that EF didn't have specific Marines, rather GROPOS covered the infantry. In the recently killed B5 movie, one of the primary characters was to be an EF Marine.

My understanding was that JMS was largely unconcerned with the secondary materials and might use them for reference but would not feel bound to them at all for future projects. Which seems fair, as it's his universe and his overall vision. There was also a general push for the secondary licenses to try and stay consistent with one another and with official B5 projects from before.

Matt

My understanding was that JMS was largely unconcerned with the secondary materials and might use them for reference but would not feel bound to them at all for future projects. Which seems fair, as it's his universe and his overall vision. There was also a general push for the secondary licenses to try and stay consistent with one another and with official B5 projects from before.

Matt[/quote]

I guess that is fair, but it would be nice if the B5 universe was consistant. I remember asking the question about consistancy to one of the Del Rey editors at a Star Trek convention, and she mentioned that they gave the writers full discretion, which accounts for the lack of continuity in supplemental materials and stories in that universe. On the other end of the scale is the Lucas regime, which controls all aspects. But, he does allow for fans to make films and other materials.

All that being said, I really appreciate what Mongoose has done with the B5 materials for both games. It really has widened the mythology of JMS's universe. I hope he appreciates it also, as the origins of B5 weren't for the almighty dollar, but for a modern mythology. Just my humble opinion.

Brother Theo

Brother Theo said:
All that being said, I really appreciate what Mongoose has done with the B5 materials for both games. It really has widened the mythology of JMS's universe. I hope he appreciates it also, as the origins of B5 weren't for the almighty dollar, but for a modern mythology. Just my humble opinion.

Brother Theo

Honestly, that would be my take home message. My experience has been that continuity in game products is almost entirely due to the efforts of the staff at the company. As a B5 fan, I'm very grateful that AoG and Mongoose have really put the effort and thought into keeping this stuff as good as it is. The Babylon Project people can fall off a bridge. . .

Matt

I'd agree with that on continuity. I think its more of how dedicated AOG was and Mongoose is than anything WB, JMS or Babylon Productions does. I remember with AOG they made comments about Fiona being the contact person for JMS to review things. I know in one of AOG game books JMS wrote a very nice foreward on how they were keeping the B5 name alive.
To be honest with you I started watching B5 during the 2nd season. The best part of B5 to me is the Narn - Centauri war. So I think AOG's game and now Mongooses material has more of what I like about B5 than the tv series had. Season 2 & 3 along with In the Beginning are the best of B5 for me. Crusade was ok, Legend of the Rangers just plane old sucked!!! Those rangers must've been at the bottom of their class. They didn't even rate a whitestar.... :lol:

I'll tuck this in at the end of this thread, as a kind of preview bonus to the most loyal of B5 fans.

We'll make a big announcement of this later. However, as a sneak peek to the forthcoming novel range, I have just spent the afternoon discussing plot lines with one of the novelists - a certain Miss Claudia Christian. We have a cracking story from her planned and I, for one, can't wait to see it in print!

msprange said:
I'll tuck this in at the end of this thread, as a kind of preview bonus to the most loyal of B5 fans.

We'll make a big announcement of this later. However, as a sneak peek to the forthcoming novel range, I have just spent the afternoon discussing plot lines with one of the novelists - a certain Miss Claudia Christian. We have a cracking story from her planned and I, for one, can't wait to see it in print!

NICELY DONE!! :D

Brother Theo

msprange said:

Please tell me there will be a luanch with the author in attendance! Or signed copies available!

This is excellent news!

LBH
(Drooling in anticipation (well into a bucket actually :lol: )

Sounds interesting to me but the only thing most other fans will care is continuity of the B5 timeline.

lastbesthope said:
Please tell me there will be a luanch with the author in attendance! Or signed copies available!

Actually, I think I can do better than that. Keep your diary free late February/early March.

I met Claudia Christian at Origins a few years back. Origins is a gaming convention here in the US. Asked her if she wanted to go out for drinks that evening at the motel bar. She smiled and said she'd have to see wasn't sure when she had to get up in the morning to catch her flight. Needless to say she didn't show up. :D Several of my friends where there when I asked and hung out at the bar to see if she would really come down from her room. So now we all claim (me mostly) she would have came down for a drink or two if she just didn't have to get up so early for her flight out... :D

msprange said:

can´t wait to see it

Back