This is Free Trader Beowulf - A Complete History of Traveller on PDF & Pre-Order!

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
A complete real world history of the Traveller RPG, written by the creator of Designers & Dragons, is now available on PDF and pre-order!

You can grab your own copy right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/products/this-is-free-trader-beowulf

This is free trader beowulf book cover.jpg

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone … Mayday, Mayday.

A box emblazoned with those words went on sale for the first time on July 22, 1977, at the Origins III Game Fair, heralding the advent of the Traveller roleplaying game from GDW. It wasn’t the first science-fiction roleplaying game, but through its innovative design and through the development of its evocative universe of Charted Space, it would become the longest running SFRPG in the industry.

However, its path would not be simple. After Traveller reached its early apogee just four years in, it would face decades of increasing problems, raising many questions. Why did GDW decided to shatter their Imperium? What led them to seek outside help to produce the second edition of the game? Why did they abandon the Traveller game system with their next revision? How could such a popular publisher face bankruptcy just two decades on? Similarly, what happened to Imperium Games, QuikLink Interactive, and others who followed in GDW’s footsteps as the inheritors of the Traveller legacy? And finally, how did Mongoose Publishing reach into the past and bring Traveller back to its position as the industry’s best-loved SFRPG?

This volume answers those questions and more. It tracks Traveller from its inspirations in the early ’70s, though its initial publication, and across seven distinct editions of its original 2d6 gaming system. It reveals the stories of Traveller’s three major publishers; GDW, Imperium Games, and Mongoose, as well many licensees. Most importantly, it tells how Traveller fell into increasing darkness before descending into a Long Night, and how it rose again as a phoenix.

From the author of Designers & Dragons, which told the story of the entire roleplaying industry, comes the intimate history of a single roleplaying game, culled from hundreds of primary sources and interviews.

A Designers & Dragons System History

Well, there's my weekend reading sorted! I've been looking forward to this since it was announced.

J

Be back in a couple of hours...

first scan through I like the layout, graphic design , and artwork.

Just flagging here that the PDF has the same issues with missing graphics on OSX that previous books have had - though I see these are being fixed, as with FFW.

J

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 13.45.43.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 13.45.43.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 8
Ok, I have read the lot.
I really like
the adventure locations maps
state of the industry
what could have been
It is well written, researched and referenced.

Some thoughts came to mind while reading the whole hot mess that was MegaTraveller - with hindsight Mongoose could take a stab at doing the Rebellion era properly, do the PC scale stuff first...

similarly I think there is room for revisiting the Reformtion Coalition setting of TNE and doing that story to completion.

Question not aswered - why was 79 High Guard ship design and combat rewritten almost immediately?

First read nit picks.
Dedications - Hans Rancke has a truncated surname, it should be Hans Rancke-Madsen
77 Traveller did not lack an experience system, it lacked an XP point system. This erroneous statement is repeated later in the book.
The Imperium as a setting is first mentioned in LBB4 not LBB5.
The JTAS Annic Nova adventure mentions "imperial"

is it an Americanism to use the word conceit when the word concept is a better fit?

Last edited:
Going full on pedantic on an mostly irrelevant filename issue: It's great that the day and month are included in the file name (although it also implies that we could expect a revision before the end of the month?) but it would sort better if the format was Year-Month-Day.

And now I'll actually open the file and start reading it...

Page 26, Shannon refers to the Irish Science Fiction Writer E. C. Tubb when explaining the British spelling of Traveller. Wasn't Tubb English? Born and died in London, though there may be some Irish connection I'm not aware of?

J

Page 26, Shannon refers to the Irish Science Fiction Writer E. C. Tubb when explaining the British spelling of Traveller. Wasn't Tubb English? Born and died in London, though there may be some Irish connection I'm not aware of?

J
Neither ISFDB, the SF Encyclopedia, nor the Library of Congress authority file are aware of any Irishness on his part.

To quickly confirm, the file’s visual and other problems are very much apparent on my Mac.

Please could you notify when the files have been updated?

Ta.

EDIT: And also just to say that my account has gone into another stupid loop phase where it asks if I am a robot and tells me my password is incorrect....again. So it looks like I won’t be downloading an updated file any time soon....

Last edited:
Would it be possible to provide a .pdf consisting solely of the checklists? I know I can cons one up myself but I ass-u-me more people than just me would like one.

Would it be possible to provide a .pdf consisting solely of the checklists? I know I can cons one up myself but I ass-u-me more people than just me would like one.
Agreed! It would be handy for checking what is missing from my horde collection.

J
Huh. I bet I pulled that from the interview explaining the name without double-checking it. Thanks.

And thanks to Sigtrygg for other nitpicks. (In particular, saying something is "first" is often such a rathole that I usually know well enough to avoid it.)

Huh. I bet I pulled that from the interview explaining the name without double-checking it. Thanks.

And thanks to Sigtrygg for other nitpicks. (In particular, saying something is "first" is often such a rathole that I usually know well enough to avoid it.)
Ha. It looks like I did indeed know better. I don't say High Guard is the first, unless I'm missing another reference than what's on page 41, I just mention it because of its interesting description of the a centralized Imperium as an assumed setting.

I'm going to have to think about experience. This is a very limited training system in Book 2 but with its four-year terms it's so impractical that I doubt it was ever used. But some language tweaks could better explain that.

And I hadn't realized that Hans had picked up a hyphenate later in life. I'll definitely send that over for a correction. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back