Sword Worlds

Richard

Mongoose
I'm the happy owner of the old GURPs Sword Worlds supplement. It is of particular interest at the moment as my players are zooming around in the vicinity. The GURPs supplement was, as were almost all their Traveller products, fantastic value. GURPs Sword Worlds was thorough, full of excellent setting material and adventure ideas. (Assuming you're happy enough to go along with the idea of a retro viking society thousands of years into the future!).

Is the new Mongoose supplement compatible with this and does it add anything new?

props for GURPS Swordworlds! It was (as is the norm for most GUPRS supplements) very thorough and well thought out.
I hope the Mongoose guys can do it justice.

I would be extremely surprised if there was much overlap. The GURPS Sword Worlds book add a lot of information, and that is all "owned" by SJG. I figure Mongoose would be walking on some potentially thin ice to use the added material. So, I would very much expect the Mongoose Sword Worlds to be very different than GURPS Sword Worlds.

Which would be extremely unfortunate. GURPS Sword Worlds was excellent. I cannot stress enough how good of a book it actually is.

I think (from the player/potential buyer perspective) this is most unfortunate. By insisting time and again on the same settings instead of fleshing out new stretches of the OTU we only get contradictions and canon will become even more messed up.

We are talking about a rules-free, setting-only book dealing with the same part of the Traveller Universe than a GURPS Traveller supplement which itself is permanently available as a PDF file. Why dedicate resources and time (because the MGT is limited in time IIRC) while there are so many aspects of the OTU still to be documented officially?

Sorry for the rant. Early morning venting I guess...

Mongoose are following their stratergy, and are looking at the good bits of Traveller and re-doing them.

The Sword Worlds are one of the good bits. It's in the Spinward Marches, there is a lot of good back ground material and there are still posibilities. So they can re-do it from a solid base.

It fits in with their other works, Darrians, Zhos, Vargr and Aslan. All spinward races and all fiting around the Spinward Marches.

And adds to their alread published works and adventures, Crowded Hours, Spinward Marches, Spinward Encounters, Trip Wire, Reft Sector, Secrets of the Aincents.

With the result is that it should sell well.

Best regards,

Ewan

You only have to look at the Darriens supplement and you can see they are improving on what has already been published.

I like the comparison to Scandinavia. I am thinking of playing their relationship to the Darrians very much like how Sweden was at war with the rest of the region at one time.
I also have Iran as the Zho and the US as the Third Empire. Non-WW Germany is the Solomani sphere atm.

YMMV of course, and feel free to correct me :)

Meh, I have a list of UWPs and random adventure tables along with some heavily biased Darrian-based propoga... I mean real life facts about the Sword Worlds :lol:

No, in all seriousness the preview looked good. Very Space-Viking in their look, language and attitude by the seem of it. I have an adventure planned where my Darrian crew head to the Highport of Gram itself posing as Exile mercs to get passage to Imperial Space.

Lets hope the cruise control dont ask how a group of Exiles got their hands on a near brand-new Imperial vessel :roll: :lol:

Just recieved my order today.

The book looks great but I have to read Age of Treason first.

I do have one question though.

Are the vehicles in the book designed with the new vehicle design system or the old one?

Once again great looking book.

Back