Was anyone found any pictures showing the various races in Conan's world? I know what they are from reading the books but sometimes it's easier just to show players a picture. In the Conan 0 comic, Cary Nord had some sketches showing off a few races.
I had wrote up what I think the modern day version of the races might look like based on what was in the forums earlier. Perhaps some will someup in Road of Kings.
Howard wrote some notes (like the essay "The Hyborian Age" and tons of clues: names and so on) on which kind of historical cultures were his Hyborian nations based upon.
This is a most interesting issue (from my pov) and I have always found really helpful (and nice, and interesting, and...) the illustrated military history books by Osprey Publishing (http://www.ospreypublishing.com/
)... and have just finished a little (private, for gaming purposes only) compilation on "Hyborian cultures" using their illustrations, mainly those by genial Angus McBride.
Just take anything published by them covering Ancient Times, Classical Age, Dark Ages and Middle Ages and is going to be near perfect!
- Shemites would be assyrians or babylonians (except in Eastern Shem, where they become more "arabized".
- Cimmerians = ancient Celts (from Ireland/Britain/Gaul) and Picts (yeah!) from Scotland (just try Osprey's book on Hadrian's Wall!).
- Hyborian lands = European Middle Age (from the dark Ages to 1200 or so). Even Classical Greek/Romans or late Romans from III - V centuries...
- Zamora = ancient Scythia.
- Turan = Persian/Turkish Empire.
- Nordheim = Vikings (only without drakkars!)
- Hyperborea = Ancient Germanic tribes.
- Picts = American woodland Indians (well before any contact with Europeans).
- Stygians = Dynastic Egypt.
- Kush = Historical Meroe & Nubia from Roman times.
- Hyrkania = Huns/Mongols.
- Vendhya = Classical/Moghul India.
- Zingara = islamic Spanish kingdom of Grenada.
Of course, some of these interpretations are VERY subjective...
Again, try these books. I wish I had a lot of money to pay Mr. McBride the illustrations for an special edition of "Osprey - Hyborian Armies"...