"So what do they look like?"

FTracer

Mongoose
Was anyone found any pictures showing the various races in Conan's world? I know what they are from reading the books but sometimes it's easier just to show players a picture. In the Conan 0 comic, Cary Nord had some sketches showing off a few races.

I had wrote up what I think the modern day version of the races might look like based on what was in the forums earlier. Perhaps some will someup in Road of Kings.

FTracer said:
Was anyone found any pictures showing the various races in Conan's world? I know what they are from reading the books but sometimes it's easier just to show players a picture. In the Conan 0 comic, Cary Nord had some sketches showing off a few races.

I had wrote up what I think the modern day version of the races might look like based on what was in the forums earlier. Perhaps some will someup in Road of Kings.

Howard wrote some notes (like the essay "The Hyborian Age" and tons of clues: names and so on) on which kind of historical cultures were his Hyborian nations based upon.

This is a most interesting issue (from my pov) and I have always found really helpful (and nice, and interesting, and...) the illustrated military history books by Osprey Publishing (http://www.ospreypublishing.com/)... and have just finished a little (private, for gaming purposes only) compilation on "Hyborian cultures" using their illustrations, mainly those by genial Angus McBride.

Just take anything published by them covering Ancient Times, Classical Age, Dark Ages and Middle Ages and is going to be near perfect!

For instance:
- Shemites would be assyrians or babylonians (except in Eastern Shem, where they become more "arabized".
- Cimmerians = ancient Celts (from Ireland/Britain/Gaul) and Picts (yeah!) from Scotland (just try Osprey's book on Hadrian's Wall!).
- Hyborian lands = European Middle Age (from the dark Ages to 1200 or so). Even Classical Greek/Romans or late Romans from III - V centuries...
- Zamora = ancient Scythia.
- Turan = Persian/Turkish Empire.
- Nordheim = Vikings (only without drakkars!)
- Hyperborea = Ancient Germanic tribes.
- Picts = American woodland Indians (well before any contact with Europeans).
- Stygians = Dynastic Egypt.
- Kush = Historical Meroe & Nubia from Roman times.
- Hyrkania = Huns/Mongols.
- Vendhya = Classical/Moghul India.
- Zingara = islamic Spanish kingdom of Grenada.

Of course, some of these interpretations are VERY subjective...

Again, try these books. I wish I had a lot of money to pay Mr. McBride the illustrations for an special edition of "Osprey - Hyborian Armies"...

Most of the Hyborian races are designed to be recognizable (at least in the 1930s) modern types, except Hyperboreans, Picts, Zamorians and Acheronians are at least partly unlike any historical 'race'.

Fearguis said:
Is that compilation you're talking about in a format you could post somewhere? I'd like to see it.

Yep man. I am giving it the last touches and in a month or so could be freely shared you all know where (well, in that p2p program called ehorse or something similar).

Only that I´m afraid v1.0 is... in Spanish. And .pdf. And 100 Mbs.

But it looks (very) nice, and a translation to english could be done in no time just with the illustrations...

We'll be back to this at due time. Keep in touch.

FTracer said:

If you'll take a thorough look, almost all of the race illustrations from Cary Nord's work were used as source material for the racial illustrations in the core Conan RPG book, down to the tiniest detail.

urdinaran said:
Yeah really, post it bro... :D

Hi, bros & sis... :D

Before the end of June (2004) that compilation (in Spanish) will be released in the emule... Short after that, an abridged version (in English) will follow. The first one already has some translated articles, some original materials... and TONS of images.

The second one, only TONS of images.

Hope you all like and find it useful. A disfrutar, hermanos!!!

Möhbius of Numalia said:
urdinaran said:
Yeah really, post it bro... :D

Hi, bros & sis... :D

Before the end of June (2004) that compilation (in Spanish) will be released in the emule... Short after that, an abridged version (in English) will follow. The first one already has some translated articles, some original materials... and TONS of images.

The second one, only TONS of images.

Hope you all like and find it useful. A disfrutar, hermanos!!!

Soon, it's only days...

Back