Psionics Prevention Measures

ottarrus

Emperor Mongoose
So with the 5FW coming up, I've been re-reading Doug Berry's [RIP] excellent 'GT: Ground Forces'.
He posits some great ideas, I have some thoughts on it, and a couple questions for you guys.
[Note that I use the word 'troop' as a generic term for service-sophonts of all services]

Doug's ideas include:
[Note: This training doctrine pertains particularly to the Domain of Deneb forces; Training and standards in other Domains will differ depending on local Threat forces]
-- ALWAYS wear your helmet.. the Unified Armies issue a helmet with psionic shielding
-- Keep explosives secure... keep explosives and detonators separate until just before use, keep your grenades taped, etc.
-- Weapon-lock personal and crew-served weaponry -- the Unified Armies and Imperial Marines issue weapons with a ring that locks the firing mechanism unless the weapon and ring codes match
-- Sleep with your helmet on or in psi-shielded quarters
-- Take your training seriously

IMTU Army and Marines are taught the following Anti-Psionic Doctrine [Again, this doctrine is specific to the Domain of Deneb]:
-- Every Zhodani company includes a minimum of two psions; it could have as many as four.
-- All Zhodani psions are officer-equivalents.
-- Zhodani officer armors look like 'this', their uniforms look like 'this', their insignia is this.
-- Kill the officers first.
-- Just because an officer is psionic does not mean they are a powerful psionic, nor does it mean they are automatically a telepath. There are different kinds of psions just like there are different kinds of trained Imperial soldiers.
-- When capturing a Zhodani officer, get him to the unit medic immediately! Medics are equipped with a drug that blocks psionics.

Now, all of this makes psionic attacks on troops more difficult but does NOT wholly prevent them. The Zhodani and Imperials have had 500 years of conflict to develop strategies, tactics, and training doctrines to develop [the Imperium] and nullify [the Consulate] a host of preventative measures. While the Imperium doesn't understand psionics to the same level that the Zhodani Consular forces do, they are aware that psionic power is a finite resource in the precise same way a troop's fitness is. However well trained a troop might be, they reach a physical limit where rest is required. It is the same with psions.

But Mongoose Traveller is showing more and more use of bionics and cybernetics. Those pose a couple questions...
-- Is there such a thing as a cybernetic psionic shield implant? Does it work well with other implants? I can see arguments for both sides on that one.
-- How about telekinetic manipulation of bionic or cybernetic limbs?
-- What other preventative measures to you think Imperial troops would/could/should make?

My personal background is that I served in the US Army in the 80's in Germany. At that time tensions between NATO and the Warsaw Pact were boiling. I have read that the Able Archer incident [of which I was a minor, peripheral participant] was the closest we came to nuclear war since the Cuban Missile Crisis, which happened before I was born. Because of this, we were *extensively* trained in NBC [Nuclear/Biological/Chemical] prevention measures. We never went to the field in just our uniforms, we always wore our NBC suits at minimum, for example, and every field problem included a gas attack drill at least once a day. For me that meant I was wearing three layers... uniform, Nomex anti-burn vehicle crew coverall, and an NBC suit over that. I can't imagine what it would have been like to wear a full Tier 3 vest with all the plates installed over that... [The PASGT vest and helmet were just coming into issue then].
Because of all this, I equate anti-psionic training with those experiences. Our training basically said, 'Yes, they will use these tactics. Yes, that'll make it harder. But this is what you can do to limit the danger. This is what you can do if you're a victim of it. And this can be dealt with if you remember your training.'

Last edited:
I really like your parallel between NBC and anti-psion training.
(And, boy, did those noddy suits make you sweat in hot weather!)

You're making me wish I put in some Psionic or anti-psi augments and things. Maybe the 5FW might include some, like perhaps:
  • Null skull - an anti psionic 'metal' plate in the head: TL 14, Cr 50000. Not compatible with psionic ability, but functions like a psi helmet.
  • Augment option: Psi Control: the ability to control a cybernetic limb or other 'controllable' augment, detached or attached, via telepathic control - sort of like a Psionic Interface (AoCSV1, p278) +Cr10000, +50% of the augment. Not compatible with TL16 Invisitech.

And an experimental prototype: Brain Grenade, TL16, Cr2000, 1kg: Anti-psionic grenade, Blast 9, disrupts psionic powers for 2D rounds. Fails to detonate on a D3 roll of 1. Available as a thrown or RAM grenade. 1D impact damage to target.

You'd think the Zhos would catch on to 'shoot the officers first' pretty quick, and at least for frontline units the surviving officers would adopt the uniform of regulars troops and tone down any rank insignia.

You're making me wish I put in some Psionic or anti-psi augments and things. Maybe the 5FW might include some, like perhaps:
  • Null skull - an anti psionic 'metal' plate in the head: TL 14, Cr 50000. Not compatible with psionic ability, but functions like a psi helmet.
  • Augment option: Psi Control: the ability to control a cybernetic limb or other 'controllable' augment, detached or attached, via telepathic control - sort of like a Psionic Interface (AoCSV1, p278) +Cr10000, +50% of the augment. Not compatible with TL16 Invisitech.

And an experimental prototype: Brain Grenade, TL16, Cr2000, 1kg: Anti-psionic grenade, Blast 9, disrupts psionic powers for 2D rounds. Fails to detonate on a D3 roll of 1. Available as a thrown or RAM grenade. 1D impact damage to target.

You'd think the Zhos would catch on to 'shoot the officers first' pretty quick, and at least for frontline units the surviving officers would adopt the uniform of regulars troops and tone down any rank insignia.
Zhodani have Battle Dress, too. And access to warbots.

They'd send in warbots first. You'd see those coming. Then while your guys are trying to take out the warbots, that's when the Nobles Jaunte in behind the defenders. You'll know when the Nobles are about to Jaunte in - the warbots will stop firing at your guys. That'll give you one round to react, but of course if you turn to face the Zhodani, you're forgetting the warbots which will move up to your position like lightning.

They also have psions with Clairvoyance to spot your defenders and where they are clustered, plus also the Clairvoyants boarding your ship will be able to sense any danger that comes their way, sentient or not. They can drop in wearing Battle Dress and drop a stun grenade into the midst of your crew if they're just wearing jump suits and flak jackets, or Jaunte in wearing a vacc suit, lob a knockout gas grenade and wait.

Sorry, guys, but psi or no psi, you'll be pretty much screwed if the Zhodani are determined to bring you in.

Zhodani have Battle Dress, too. And access to warbots.

They'd send in warbots first. You'd see those coming. Then while your guys are trying to take out the warbots, that's when the Nobles Jaunte in behind the defenders. You'll know when the Nobles are about to Jaunte in - the warbots will stop firing at your guys. That'll give you one round to react, but of course if you turn to face the Zhodani, you're forgetting the warbots which will move up to your position like lightning.

They also have psions with Clairvoyance to spot your defenders and where they are clustered, plus also the Clairvoyants boarding your ship will be able to sense any danger that comes their way, sentient or not. They can drop in wearing Battle Dress and drop a stun grenade into the midst of your crew if they're just wearing jump suits and flak jackets, or Jaunte in wearing a vacc suit, lob a knockout gas grenade and wait.

Sorry, guys, but psi or no psi, you'll be pretty much screwed if the Zhodani are determined to bring you in.
OK, I'm gonna assume that 'Jaunte' means 'teleport', right?

Let me deal with your points one at a time.
1. Just as with the Imperium, most combat troops are Consular Army not Consular Guard. The Guard is the equivalent of the Imperial Marine Force in training and mission assignments, but most Lift Infantry Divisions will be staffed by Army troops.
2. The Consulate can no more afford to equip their entire ground military force with Battle Dress than the Imperium can. The Consular Army is equipped much like the Unified Armies... Combat Armor with ACRs /Gauss rifles and laser rifles with a couple PGMPs per company as support guns.
3. In point of fact, the Consulate's 'mature TL 13 middle TL 14 economy' can afford to equip BD troops LESS than the Imperium can due to poorer efficiencies of scale.
4. Teleport troops are usually Consular Guard Commandos, NOT Army troops. See below for how I view them...
5. Most Lift Infantry Brigades have a staff of strong Clairvoyants to detect enemy movements, but at the mass troop level the Zho's only move as fast as Imperial troops. Deceptive tactics work against clairvoyants just like they work against anyone else. The clairvoyant has to know what and where to try and sense, or else those PSI points are wasted in searching for nothing. That's easy at the company level and damned near impossible on a divisional front.
6. Psionics are a quantified power skill-set, NOT magic. While the 3-I doesn't understand psionics to the same extent as the Zho's, they know full well that that skill-set has limits, just like any other skill does, and Imperial troops are trained accordingly.
7. This doesn't mean that psionics are not a factor... they are THE defining factor of the Frontier Wars. The Zho's can do many things 'naturally' through psionics that the Imperium has to bust its ass to do via technology. Their command and control is excellent, for example, because orders are far, FAR less nebulous when transmitted via psionics. Not only does the recipient get the order, but they get a definitive idea of the commander's intentions [aka 'what orders are meant to achieve'].

As for Zhodani Consular Guard Commandos [aka the teleporters], let's look at the nature of psionics and Zhodani society.
1. Psions form somewhere between 15-20% of Zhodani society, Nobles and Intendants together. Sources vary on the exact percentage.
2. ALL leadership functions, from corporate regional sales manager to Navy fleet commander to Supreme Council members, come from that same pool of social leaders.
3. Children inherit the social status of their parents, no matter their personal abilities. Just as with any monarchy, the heir can sometimes be an idiot or physically weak or have some other deficiency... but they are still the heir. And the lack of PSI ability has no effect on INT or EDU. There are probably lots of Zho nobles who are lousy psions but otherwise perfectly able administrators, politicians, or officers.
4. Psionics are just as random for the Zhodani as they are for any other group of Humaniti. There are hereditary nobles who have a PSI of C but have children with a PSI of 4. Just because someone is a 'trained psion' does NOT make a 'trained *powerful* psion'.
5. Therefore, the Consulate has to screen officers just as carefully as the Third Imperium does.
6. Zhodani society sets artificial caps on leadership roles based on social position. No matter how talented, a Prole will never rise above Sergeant Major and an Intendant will never rise above Colonel in a technical branch. Only Nobles get battalion or greater commands and skilled career officers are just as rare in the Zhodani Consulate as they are in the Third Imperium. Something else to mention... Zhodani society limits the education of Proles to their SOC statistic. Therefore a Prole will never rise to be qualified for command.

So how does all this relate to Zhodani Consular Commandos?
1. Teleportation is the rarest psionic talent. As all too many Traveller PCs have found out, it really does suck to have to have the Teleportation talent when you have a PSI of 4...
2. It costs a *minimum* of 4 PSI points to teleport a person with 10kg of gear to Distant range [Distant is between 501 and 5000 m]... and a minimum of 4 PSI to get him back safely. This specifically does NOT include armors. To do this the psion must make a 10+ roll vs their PSI statistic TWICE.
3. While some earlier editions offer Zhodani the ability to 'port with armors, MgT2e does NOT. The Aliens of Charted Space 1 chapter on the Zhodani mentions nothing at all about teleportation. This means we default to the Core Rulebook [pg 234].
4. If we really want to be picky about it, that means the Zho commandos are NOT armored in Battle Dress.
Now, I'm like you... I think it's a lot more fun if the Zho commandos can teleport with Battle Dress. So instead of saying 'no you can't' let's say 'yes, but it's more difficult'. The skill roll is already pretty high [it requires at least one dose of Psi-Double drug just to do], so let's just add the to PSI power point cost. Adding +2 power points makes that whole evolution 10 freaking PSI points.
5. There are VERY few teleporters with that many psionic points naturally. And there are far, FAR fewer teleporters with that many PSI points who also possess the physical and mental traits necessary to be commando. It's generally accepted that the average Zhodani Consular Guard commando trooper has training roughly equivilent to that of the average line infantry Imperial Marine. Call that 'good but not great'. An Imperial Marine Commando or Sylean Ranger is far and away a better out-and-out soldier insofar as fieldcraft, patrolling, and marksmanship is concerned.

Taking all this into account, IMHO, the Consular Commandos are NOT commonplace troops and they don't pop up all over the place every time the Zho's get into a firefight. IMTU each Zhodani Corps [that is, between two and five Lift Infantry Divisions] has a Commando Groupment available to it [a short battalion of, say, 300 highly trained troops armed with the very best the Consulate can produce].

What's more, as GT: Ground Troops points out, there are countermeasures that Imperial commanders can use. Booby trapping clearings, for example, with mines or something as simple as wire and thereby forcing commando forces to 'port in individually instead of as a formed unit is just one example. Battalion staff and up in the Domain of Deneb routinely wear psionic shields at all times, so 'sensing' Imperial plans is more by luck than anything else.

Last edited:
MgT2 CSC does have the PSI commando battledress that is specifically meant to teleport in. It ignores the extra PSI cost and increases the vertical limits for teleporting.

The best weapon against Zhodani psions is to be as brutally honest as they are. They are not expecting the baz to lay all the cards on the table.
The FFW will be as much a war of misunderstanding as of attrition.
I just wish there'll be a book on diplomacy in the Traveller 'verse.

MgT2 CSC does have the PSI commando battledress that is specifically meant to teleport in. It ignores the extra PSI cost and increases the vertical limits for teleporting.
The one thing that sets Traveller apart from Star Trek/Wars, what sets the Expanse apart from Babylon 5 is that the basic laws of the universe still count. Gravity still works the same way, as does chemistry, biology, and physics. There are comparatively few 'whoopee' technologies in Traveller as compared to other milieus, and I'm really loath to interfere with that. I can see a suit that manages the temperature changes in teleportation, but I'm just not sure I'm down with Battle Dress that 'madjicklie' allows teleportation when the rules specifically say that isn't normally possible. What's more, the description doesn't even explain how that would work, even in buzzwords. Essentially, 'magic rocks just do it'.
Psionics is an inherently biological power. The Control and Interact talents in ACS 1 are Special talents, which means they're even rarer than Teleportation. I can understand psionic switches. That's just a simple on/off, yes/no binary manipulation. But teleportation armor is an entirely different and more complex jab at physics with even less of a justification than the explanation of Jumpspace.
I'm not altogether sure Psi-Armors would exist IMTU because of all that. And if they do, it would be more in the line of augmenting the Protection of the armors rather than teleporting with it. I really do think that my 'increase the PSI point cost' solution is more in keeping with the intended spirit of the Traveller rules.
But, as with all things, YTUMV.

When in doubt see what the original intention was:
Any character may carry a load equal to his strength characteristic, in kilograms. Weapons and other materials are given weights in grams or kilograms. Load is calculated by totaling the weight of all relevant items. Clothing, personal armor, and minor items such as holsters, scabbards, and belts are not counted.

TELEPORTATION
Teleportation is a talent which allows effectively instantaneous movement from
one point to another point, especially without regard to intervening matter. Psionic
teleportation is limited to the movement of the teleporting character’s body and (for
highly skilled teleports) his or her clothing and weapons.

Personal teleportation, without clothing or weapons, is a level 5 skill, requiring
only the range cost (for teleportation) to be performed.
Personal teleportation, clothed, but without any personal load or weapons, is a
level 7 skill,
requiring only the range cost (for teleportation) to be performed. A weapon
of up to 1000 grams weight, if worn so as to be a part of clothing holstered, or
sheathed) may be carried.
Personal teleportation, clothed, and carrying a physical load of weapons and
accessories or items, not to exceed the character’s strength in kilograms, is a level 9
ability.
Such activity requires the expenditure of the range cost in psionic strength
points.
personal armour counts as cloths...

So a Zho commando can teleport in BD with a Psi of 7, with a Psi of 9 can carry an additional load equal to their Str (should that be Psi Str I wonder...)

@Sigtrygg
That is the LBB rules on teleportation... the 'original intent'.
But the upcoming Mongoose Fifth Frontier War is being written with the MgT2022 Rulebook. This is what that source says about teleportation:
The entire discussion on Teleportation from Mongoose Traveller Core Rulebook pg. 234:
[The Aliens of Charted Space 1 chapter on the Zhodani says nothing at all about teleporting]

Teleportation
Teleportation is a talent that allows effectively
instantaneous movement from one point to another
point, without regard to intervening matter. Psionic
teleportation is limited to the movement of the
teleported Traveller’s body and (for highly skilled
teleports) their clothing and equipment.
Check: Average (8+) Teleportation check (1D
seconds, PSI)
Reach: Distant
PSI Cost: 2
To teleport with clothing (but not armour) and up to
10kg of equipment, the Teleportation check is increased
to Difficult (10+) and costs an additional 2 PSI.
To teleport with clothing (but not armour) and up
to 500kg of equipment, the Teleportation check is
increased to Very Difficult (12+) and costs an additional
4 PSI.
Teleportation always involves the movement of one’s
body to another location. Independent items or other
individuals may not be moved. Teleportation involves
certain requirements in order to be accurate and to
ensure obedience of the laws of physics.
Pre-knowledge of Destination: A Traveller must
always have a mental image of their destination
before teleporting. This mental image is acquired
by personally visiting the location first (this includes
viewing it from a distance), having the mental image
implanted in one’s mind (via telepathy) by another
person who has visited the destination or by viewing
the location through clairvoyance.
Energy and Momentum: Teleportation involves
serious restrictions on movement in order to ensure
the conservation of energy and momentum, two
laws of physics that can cause teleporting Travellers
serious issues.
On planetary surfaces, teleportation is restricted to
jumps of no more than Very Distant ranges. Jumps
beyond visual range involve disorientation for a period
of 2D – Effect of Teleportation check x 10 seconds.
This restriction results from the law of conservation of
momentum; on a rotating planet, two locations will have
different rotational speeds and directions. A jump from a
point on the Earth’s equator to its antipode would result
in a total velocity difference between the Traveller and
their surroundings of over 3,300 kilometres per hour.
Changes in altitude (actually all movement to locations
of differing gravitational potential) will result in potential
energy changes, manifesting themselves as alterations
in body temperature. A jump of one kilometre straight
down will result in an internal temperature increase of
2.5oC; this is sufficient to cause extreme fever, brain
damage and even death. A jump upwards will cool
the body by the same amount, with equally serious
results. To be safe, a jump may not involve an elevation
change of more than 400 metres and multiple jumps
should not involve a cumulative elevation change or
more than 600 metres in one hour. These problems
may be circumvented somewhat through the use of
technological devices such as energy compensators,
heated suits and other means. Travellers may feel
driven to invent such materials, commission their
invention or seek them out from those who already
have them.

Please note that the Teleportation talent specifically says 'but not armor'. So, we have three mechanical solutions to get around that:
a] ignore it
b] make teleportation with armor mechanically harder and more limited
c] devise a technological solution.
I advocate Solution B because I feel that it is more in keeping with the spirit of the game, but YTUMV. I also feel that the psionic battle dress in CSC2023 that allows teleportation for just base point cost is simply too much of a gimme. It feels like a TL 16 technology instead of TL 13.

Okay, so officially, rules lawyers can get in the sea.

Teleportation Suit (TL12): This device can be integrated into a suit of armour or worn as a formhugging body-suit. It rapidly cools or warms the body after a teleport, minimising the damage from sudden energy gains or losses.

Psi-Enhanced Battle Dress: This suit is interwoven with highly specialised crystalline fibres and conduits that pick up on the latent psionic abilities of the operator. The mental energies created and manipulated by the conduits create an invisible telekinetic field inside the plating of the suit, protecting them from attack. The operator adds half (rounded up) their PSI score to the Protection score of the armour while worn.

Psi-Commando Battle Dress: Similar to the psi-enhanced battle dress, the psi-commando suit retains the invisible telekinetic shield and features enhancements that include active psionic interfaces and superior heating and cooling systems designed to aid teleportation abilities. The operator adds half (rounded up) their PSI to the Protection score of the armour. In addition, the psi-commando battle dress counts as part of the operator’s own body when teleporting (thus not increasing the PSI cost of Teleportation) and doubles the vertical distances that may be teleported, as described on page 234 of the Traveller Core Rulebook.

Funny, how tech keeps turning up which destroys the basic RAW found in the core rulebook. Almost as if the universe is a strange place, guided by some invisible hand, some sort of sentient moderator type who sets the adventures and places non-player characters in the Travellers' path.

What's scariest is that somebody not a million miles away from here may be preparing to include the following in an official canon Traveller book some time.

Item TL Effect Kg Cost
Inhibitor Drug Antidote 9 Neutralises all forms of Psi-Inhibitor and Null Drug — Cr100

Please note that the Teleportation talent specifically says 'but not armor'. So, we have three mechanical solutions to get around that:
a] ignore it
b] make teleportation with armor mechanically harder and more limited
c] devise a technological solution.
I advocate Solution B because I feel that it is more in keeping with the spirit of the game, but YTUMV. I also feel that the psionic battle dress in CSC2023 that allows teleportation for just base point cost is simply too much of a gimme. It feels like a TL 16 technology instead of TL 13.
But we are now talking about the Zhodani in the Mongoose Traveller ATU.

In the OTU of yore Zhodani commandos could teleport with BD at Psi 7.

If the MgT TL ATU wants to maintain this setting element having changed their rules as written then they appear to have gone with C.

This restriction results from the law of conservation of momentum; on a rotating planet, two locations will have different rotational speeds and directions. A jump from a point on the Earth’s equator to its antipode would result in a total velocity difference between the Traveller and their surroundings of over 3,300 kilometres per hour.
So, if I understand correctly : if a psion wants to teleport from 1 ship to another, the psion's ship must match vector with the target ship (otherwise, the psion might boil or freeze himself to death)... Even if the rule mentions rotating planets, conservation of momentum would also apply for starships.
That limits teleport-boarders to disabled ships (ships that can't accelerate or perform evasive maneuvers).

So, if I understand correctly : if a psion wants to teleport from 1 ship to another, the psion's ship must match vector with the target ship (otherwise, the psion might boil or freeze himself to death)... Even if the rule mentions rotating planets, conservation of momentum would also apply for starships.
That limits teleport-boarders to disabled ships (ships that can't accelerate or perform evasive maneuvers).
IMTU, teleporters have to match speeds, match vectors, and be within teleportation range. And not many ship-to-ship fights get within 5000m unless somebody's engines are buggered. It's a Very Bad Thing if you visualize one location, but that location has moved 50m between your visualization and the time you activate your power. Ship-to-ship teleports on moving ships is a VERY dangerous thing.

I appreciate and thank everyone for all the comments.
My purpose for starting this thread was to demonstrate that psionics, while a significant determinate factor, isn't the be-all and end-all in warfare with the Third Imperium that many Traveller players might think it to be. If it were, the Zho's would have won the 1st FW and driven the Imperium back to a line of Aramis, Rhylenor, Mora, and Trin's Veil subsectors. I'm trying to show that psionics, like any other doctrine, can be recognized, trained for and dealt with. Psionics can be a nightmare at the company level, but up at the divisional and higher levels, it's just one of many factors that can be allowed for.

I'm also trying to show that different Unified Armies will have different training for different opponents. While all Unified Armies troops are trained in warfighting as a matter of course, different domains tend to specialize against their particular Threat forces. Deneb Domain troops are trained to deal with psionics and Vargr raiding. Sol Domain troops are trained to deal with terrorism and propaganda/memetic offensives. Core Domain likely trains hard in peacekeeping, police actions, and interventions, and so on.

Also, I want to point out that wafer knowledge, sleep learning, and other science fiction learning techniques are all fine, well, and good, but if you're gonna move three Army Corps from Corridor Sector to bolster the Regina front, those troops are gonna need several months of field exercises to turn the schooling into muscle memory. And you can't do that on a transport ship or in low berth in transit.

Last edited:
Back