Kzinti & Drones - Input Welcomed

scoutdad said:
As for starbases, I'm still thinking on this. But since you're probably never going to be taking on a SB solo and reinforcement are always somewhere close by so there won't be an unlimited numbero f turns avaialble, do we even need to limit the number of ships that can drone a SB? And if so, why not go with double the standard number?

Starbases can be very tough nuts to crack indeed. If you caught it totally undefended it's a hard thing to kill. With a decent defending fleet? Ow, ow.

In F&E a battle round is equivalent to a "scenario", and there it can take 10+ rounds, usually more, to take out a Starbase if there is any decent defending fleet at all.

Assume it takes 10 rounds to destroy. So translated to ACTA:SF, that's equal to scoring a step of damage = to about 10% of the SB's hit points... :shock: Hope you brought alot of ships, and even rotating the cripples out and putting in fresh ships every 8 turn "scenario", it's going to take you a lot of casualties and time.

Can you chuck waves of asteroids at them from beyond weapons range or are their defences good enough to stop massdrivers and the like?

There is something in the SFU timeline about the Klingons trying to guide a asteroid into a planet - so its likely an option to do it to a Starbase - if its weapons can't take out the rock that is. If they can't, you can even use the rock as a portable shield to get close even if you don't want to ram it into the station.

Hi

I have to say, ....

The Feds won one and the Kzinti won one, and both were close. In both cases, the drones were bad, but not overwhelming and the Kzinti were still required to get up close an personal.

This bold statement has me worried as a long time fan of Kzinti.

When playing a fleet and race that relies on drones as it's PRIMARY weapon... i DONT want to have to get up close and personal. The whole point of the Kzinti is to stay at extreme range and bombard your opponent with an overwhelming number of drones... its what they do, its "there thing"!

Please dont take this away!

How is a ship like the Kirov every going to be worried by 3 ships worth of drones a turn?

sanguisaevum said:
When playing a fleet and race that relies on drones as it's PRIMARY weapon... i DONT want to have to get up close and personal. The whole point of the Kzinti is to stay at extreme range and bombard your opponent with an overwhelming number of drones... its what they do, its "there thing"!
Actually, in SFB, their long range drones strikes are used primarily to set up a chance to close and strike from point blank range where their plethora of Ph-3s can combine nicely with point blank drone launches. Of course, this won't translate perfectly to ACTA as many of the benefits of that point blank attack (tractor beam preventing a wild weasel, knocking out defensive weaponry before the drone launch, etc.) don't really apply to ACTA.

In SFB terms, the full "fleet launches at one ship" would rarely happen. It's too easy, in SFB, to either use transporter bombs to kill them incoming or to wild weasel and kill a whole turns worth of drones without any firepower expenditure.

I guess my point is that this principle of drones being the ultimate long range weapon is more than foreign to us SFB players. Disruptors are the best "long range dancing weapon" in SFB, hence the term "Klingon Sabre Dance."

Hmm...

But this is not SFB, and i have never played SFB.

This is ACTA: SF, and i am concerned about the Kzinti in THIS game, not SFB.

My experience of the Kzinti comes from the PC versions of the game (They have a different name, it begins with "M" due to licensing issues, but its essentially the same race)

In that Game, this race is "sold" as a drone heavy, stand-of fleet. And they play that way. The idea is to slowly wear your opponents defences down with relentless wave after wave of drones. If you are good enough, and can survive long enough, eventually they are overwhelmed as there drone defences begin to collapse.

In ACTA: SF, the Kzinti are once again "sold" as a race relying on drones... now even before they are out, there is talk of taking that focus away.

I say it again, the whole APPEAL of the Kzinti is the relentless waves of drones that an opponent must deal with.

Is is "Their Thing"

What i mean is, When I think of each race, I have a "theme" or "general picture" of what they are "about" so to speak.

Fed - Solid all round ships, "Phaser Boats" with a solid Photon punch up front.
Klink - Agile ships, Sabre dancing with disrupters, darting in and out.
Roms - Stealth and Plasma, set up that killer shot and mutilate your target.
Gorn - Overwhelming fire-power but slow and clumsy.
Kzinti - Long range drone bombardment, if you catch them there toast, but lord the DRONES!

These "impressions" are what i gathered from the fluff (both pre existing, and acta rule book / website)

I cant be the only one who views the races like this can i?

By taking the focus away from their reliance on drones, your taking their "thing" away. I don't want my Kzinti to be "like klingons" and sabre dancing with disrupters, i want them to be like Kzinti! and overwhelming there foes with wave after wave of drones! THATS what the "fluff" indicates they do!

Mass drivers and rocks. Well a Starbase isn’t totally imboile, just not warp capable. It still has station keeping drives so can slide sideways a bit to avoid incoming ballistic or near C stuff.

The whole point of saying again and again till folks listened that the Drones (not the Kzinti but any Drone heavy force) needed looking at was to stop them being the unstoppable supper weapon. Why should the Drone races be able to crush a Starbase without taking a single lose in return. The rules should give everyone a chance not turn into a Drone love fest were everyone fields Kzinti or Feds and then only three or four types of ship.

Starbases are the corner stones of an empires power, taking one down should be a massive undertaking. If any passing 6 Drone ships can destroy one why bother building them use much cheaper bases instead.

sanguisaevum said:
Hmm...

But this is not SFB, and I have never played SFB.

This is ACTA: SF, and I am concerned about the Kzinti in THIS game, not SFB.

In that Game, this race is "sold" as a drone heavy, stand-of fleet. And they play that way. The idea is to slowly wear your opponent’s defences down with relentless wave after wave of drones. If you are good enough, and can survive long enough, eventually they are overwhelmed as there drone defences begin to collapse.

In ACTA: SF, the Kzinti are once again "sold" as a race relying on drones... now even before they are out, there is talk of taking that focus away.

I say it again, the whole APPEAL of the Kzinti is the relentless waves of drones that an opponent must deal with.

It is "Their Thing"

By taking the focus away from there reliance on drones, your taking that away. I don't want my Kzinti to be "like Klingon’s" and sabre dancing with disrupters, i want them to be like Kzinti! and overwhelming there foes with wave after wave of drones! THATS what the "fluff" indicates they do!

Hello there.

The problem is that as written in the rules any Drone heavy fleet, not just the Kzinti is overpowered. The problem is that Drones could not be stopped by any ship other than the target unless the special order “Intensify Defensive Fire” was used. You get one special order a turn and since reloading your own weapons and repairing shields or internal damage is also a special order you end up unable to do anything apart from die.

No one has made the Kzinti fleet useless, no one has made them close to point blank range to fight, they still focus on heavy Drone attacks.

A Kzinti fleet retains the ability to hit two enemy ships with 12 Drones each, every turn. That is still a lot of firepower but its not the overpowering ability of the Kzinti (and others) to crush an enemy from the starting line on turn one.

Kzinti have Drones and Disruptors, they can fight at 24” perfectly well. A Kirov isn’t going to be that bothered by Drones, it’s a heavy Battle Cruiser, a pocket Dreadnaught designed for the crushing embrace of battle. Its everyone else that has a problem.

As the rules stood a Drone heavy fleet firing 30+ Drones a turn killed one or two enemy ships, no return fire, no defences, just dead ships. Sounds like a fun game had by all, no?

The Kzinti retain those relentless waves of Drones, only now it is just about possible to deal with them rather than the finger of death that appears over a ship and a great voice that says “That one” and lo the ship dies, torn apart often without a chance.

The Kzinti are not now worthless, they remain a viable fleet, use some tactics, combine those 12 Drone salvos with other weapons and you can still win. If you wanted to hang back out of range and crush your enemy without him being able to do anything in return then I’m sorry, you are going to be disappointed. But speaking as one of the people getting slaughtered one ship at a time from fast moving Drone fleets that can kill me ship by ship without me getting a return shot in or spending an entire battle playing hug the asteroids I prefer some fun in my games.

Try the Kzinti under the new rules, you can still face every enemy apart from the Disruptor races while staying back. Yes the Feds have good Drone defences, it makes a Kzinti-Fed battle a challenge, you also get Kzinti-Gorn battles that are much more one sided. It mostly balances out, some races are harder, some easier. Overall every fleet is viable.

Well mostly, my poor Gorn cruisers :cry:

IMO, being drone-heavy and being a stand-off fleet are not necessarily synonymous.

The Kzintis are, and should remain a drone heavy fleet. However, the primary tactic should be sitting at medium range, combining their drones (to pick off ships and, most importantly, tie up enemy firepower) and other weapons to wear down the enemy before closing in for the kill.

That is what I think of when I hear "drone fleet."

Unfortunately, the current Kzintis have the same problem that SFB Klingons have in fleet battles - they have a long range bracket in which no other race can compete with them and in which they have the ability to destroy 1-2 ships per turn.

And by "Up close and personal", I did not mean they had to close to point blank range.
Instead, they were required to get within disruptor range, which at least allowed the Federation to return fire.

And as a 30+ year SFB player, I can say and unequivocably, that even in SFB - drones are not the primary damage causing weapon in the Kzinti arsenal. They are more often than not used to force manuevering in a desired direction or to tie up phasers.
Very rarely are drones launched with the expectation of scoring a hit (or hits), or at least not until the steady stream of drones and long range disruptor fire have weakened the enemy to the point where a Kzinti captain is willing to move in close and take out the enemy for good!

andypalmer said:
IMO, being drone-heavy and being a stand-off fleet are not necessarily synonymous.

The Kzintis are, and should remain a drone heavy fleet. However, the primary tactic should be sitting at medium range, combining their drones (to pick off ships and, most importantly, tie up enemy firepower) and other weapons to wear down the enemy before closing in for the kill.

Unfortunately, the current Kzintis have the same problem that SFB Klingons have in fleet battles - they have a long range bracket in which no other race can compete with them and in which they have the ability to destroy 1-2 ships per turn.

I agree. So why not reduce drone range to 24 then? Sure it's less than their "maximum range", but there's precedent for that - disruptors on cruisers should reach 30", photons should have "proximity mode" which also reaches 30 hexes.

36" is more than the drone can realistically travel in a turn anyways. 24" would be a good compromise between "medium speed drones available in the Middle years of the General War, and fast drones available in the Late years".

24" forces drone users to close to use their weapons.

msprange said:
5. Scouts will be appearing in the Journal, and so we could take the opportunity to enhance the Scout trait to do something with drones - however, this would mean everyone would always take a scout in their fleet, and we don't want that.

Wiil scouts have the SFB useful ability to break the lock on of Drones ?

As for the solution it is good; normally a Kzinti ship would only have six drones in flight. As they fire and hit immediately in ACTA you can, in essence, have about twelve drones in flight.

For the Kzintis that don't like it you could always allow them to purchase ATG (active terminal guidance) tokens. They cost 30 points, are one shot devices that allow the ship using it to fire even if a target already has three ships on it.

The primary tactic should be sitting at medium range, combining their drones (to pick off ships and, most importantly, tie up enemy firepower) and other weapons to wear down the enemy before closing in for the kill.

Then your interpretation of a "Drone Fleet" is VERY different from the group of people i game with (as well as most people i talk to who dont game, but are are familiar with the Kzinti as a racial concept), as well as bieng very different from the the impression that "fluff" in the rule book, and ACTA website indicates.

My point is, with regards to ACTA, they are presented as a race that use Drones as a PRIMARY damaging weapon. With other weapon systems used in a supporting role.

Forget SFB, i frankly couldn't care how they are used in that game, i only care about the Kzinti that have been sold to me as a nACTA race that uses Drones as there primary source of damage.

If i wanted to close and use drones in a secondary role, and rely more on disrupters and Phasers to do damage, i would have chosen Klingons.

Those of you who picked Kligons as your prefered race, you probably did so because you liked the general way the fleet plays, you like the klingon sabre dance, and you like how the fleet sounds in the fluff.

Would you like for that "identity" to be taken away, and you be forced to play the fleet in a way that does not represent that very "fluff" that helped you chose them in the first place?

Look, dont get me wrong, i am ALL for balance, really i am, i want the game to work just as much as you do... if the current iteration of drones was broken, then sure it needs addressing. But i DO NOT want to see the Kzinti using drones the same way as other races, they should be dealing damage with them, not using them as secondary heavy weapons.

It is LITERALLY their defining trait acording to all the fluff i have read on them (and the reason i chose them). DRONES, MORE DRONES THAN YOU CAN COPE WITH!

I see Drones as the Shield Strippers for the Phaser's and Disruptors or Photon Torps.

Drones have against them a good set of defensive layers. Evasive Action SA, Fast Ships, Phasers, Anti-Drone and Tractor Beams.

Why not allow Scout to Jam Drones. It works like Redirect Fire. It targets 1 ship which if successful will half the AD of Drones avaliable from that ship.

Also put me down for the limit of 3 ships (or 12 AD Maximum) :).

Reducing the range to 24 might be an option for handling the slower drones of the Middle Years, if ACtA:SF ever goes "back" to that era.

(An era in which Kzinti ships had far fewer disruptors, and really had to rely on their drones, I might add.)

Alternatively, if Main Era drones were to be reduced in range, I would hope it be in a fashion that makes a proportional reduction for would-be Middle Years drones a more natural fit; down to 16 from 24, to follow on from Bill's example.

sanguisaevum. Having drones as their primary damage causing heavy weapon and being able to use those weapons effectively outside the weapons range of your opponents are two completely different things.

By their nature, however, as with all seeking weapons, they have damage potential that can be reduced by opponent actions. When fighting in medium-long range (18-24") I would expect the Kzintis to put more AD of drones out there than other weapons. However, by their nature, those AD can be reduced by opponent actions which may result in more damage being caused by the non-drone weapons. However, in doing this, the opponent is doing things which reduce their own effectiveness (special actions, using offensive phasers defensively, etc.). That is the nature of the Kzintis - they throw so many drones at you that you are forced to take measures to reduce them, which in turn makes the Kzintis as a whole more effective (they take less damage, set up better for next turn, etc.).

sanguisaevum said:
The primary tactic should be sitting at medium range, combining their drones (to pick off ships and, most importantly, tie up enemy firepower) and other weapons to wear down the enemy before closing in for the kill.

Then your interpretation of a "Drone Fleet" is VERY different from the group of people I game with (as well as most people I talk to who don’t game, but are familiar with the Kzinti as a racial concept), as well as being very different from the impression that "fluff" in the rule book, and ACTA website indicates.

My point is, with regards to ACTA, they are presented as a race that use Drones as a PRIMARY damaging weapon. With other weapon systems used in a supporting role.

Would you like for that "identity" to be taken away, and you be forced to play the fleet in a way that does not represent that very "fluff" that helped you chose them in the first place?

Look, don’t get me wrong, I am ALL for balance, really I am, I want the game to work just as much as you do... if the current iteration of drones was broken, then sure it needs addressing. But I DO NOT want to see the Kzinti using drones the same way as other races, they should be dealing damage with them, not using them as secondary heavy weapons.

It is LITERALLY their defining trait according to all the fluff i have read on them (and the reason I chose them). DRONES, MORE DRONES THAN YOU CAN COPE WITH!

I’m sorry you are not happy with the change to Drones but you seem to think that the Kzinti are now suddenly powerless. They are most definitely not.

The Kzinti remain the primary long range fleet, Fed cheddar DWDs aside.

A 6 ship Kzinti fleet in a 1000 point battle is going to be throwing 24 Drone each and every turn, no reloads, never running out of ammo. With the Data net rules that is two lots of 12AD. 12 AD against a DD or FF is basically a dead ship, on there own they are going to be stopping 4 or 5. 7 or 8 hit, lets say just 7 hit so that’s only 25 damage. For most DD sized ships that is the shield down and internals. For the smaller ones it is half dead, from 36” away. Even cruisers are going to be taking 6 Drones or so doing 21 damage. That is most of a cruiser sized shield gone again from 36”.

Your Kzinti fleet can basically, from three feet away across the mat take down the shields of two ships on turn one. Turn two unless those ships go IDF or hide they are going to be taking a lot of internals even if they Shield boost. A big DD with 20 shields will be crippled or dead on turn 2 even with shield boosting. That is two smaller enemy ships dead on turn 2 from 36” away.

The Kzinti are still very much a powerful long range fleet and more than capable of beating anyone except a fairly cheddar Fed fleet, they can smash a Plasma fleet or make for a very boring game of hide under the cloak or behind the Asteroids.

The Kzinti are very much doing damage with drones.

You say that you want a fleet that does more Drones than your enemy can cope with. Well 3 ship groups are that already. Without the support of several other ships all doing IDF no ship smaller than a BCH or DN can cope with 12 Drones a turn (Fed cheddar aside) but we cannot balance Drone users against the fact that the Fed are too tough against Drones, its everyone else that needs to be given a chance.

DRONES, MORE DRONES THAN YOU CAN COPE WITH!

That is the problem. Those of us who are not flying Kzinti or cheddar Fed fleets actually like to play the game as well, we sort of like to be able to move and fight without being destroyed by a Kzinti FF fleet that is racing round the map edges like greyhounds and destroying our ships one by one while we are defenceless. We don’t want to be playing a game where we cannot reload our weapons if we fire them because we are doing IDF every single turn just to have a slight chance of surviving.

The Kzinti remain a capable and powerful fleet. They can fight and win against everyone except the Fed cheese brigade. But without changing the Drone Rules and re costing DWDs (you listening Matt :lol: ) all you would ever see anywhere would be Drone heavy Fed and Kzinti fleets. They would have conquered the universe because no one could stand against them.

Try a few games and see, they are not useless, they just need some tactics and a bit of effort to win, all that has been taken away from them is the ability to auto win on turn one against most enemy fleets without the enemy even responding. It makes for far more balanced battles, is that not the whole point of the game?

If you still feel that because Drones have been changed and you can no longer smash another player from outside of his range while he has no chance to return fire that you can no longer play the game then you are, of course, free to house rule your own games in any way you like. But please don’t get upset that most of the rest of us don’t want our battle reports to start with “Turn one we moved and I lost my (insert ship type here)”.

Clanger.

Drones are an extremely versatile weapon. You can use them to deflect Phaser fire, force an enemy fleet to waste special actions with IDF, smash shields to allow other weapons in or wait till other weapons have dropped the shields and pummel the hulls for extra criticals. They give any fleet the ability to combine firepower at a huge range even in small numbers.

They can be used in a wide variety of ways and are still extremely powerful on Drone heavy fleets like the Kzinti.

As for scouts. They could either increase or decrease. Depends on how they work.

Adding a ship to a data net basically adds 4 Drones which is another 14 Damage to the target which is fairly powerful. Protecting a ship doesn’t really work since you declare in before firing so the ship simply doesn’t get fired at. Maybe some sort of limited area jamming but that’s getting complex again.

Re Reducing the range. Adds complexity, or perhaps you can simply add an extra cost for the 36" Drones paid per launcher. Not sure its needed as most fleets (Apart from my poor Gorn :cry: ) have plenty of ways to defend themselves above and beyond just phasers. Leaving them at 36" makes them a distinct and long range weapon, dropping the range impacts both Low and High Drone fleets and will cause a cascade of wailing from the Kzinti players who are already unhappy they can no longer slaughter people with impunity.

sanguisaevum said:
It is LITERALLY their defining trait acording to all the fluff i have read on them (and the reason i chose them). DRONES, MORE DRONES THAN YOU CAN COPE WITH!

So we have some Kzinti and Fed DWD fleet players, both of whom lack the capacity to be bored with tacticless die rolling, and every other fleet is abandoned?

The game was issued, it needed tweaks, that is in process.

Also note that without changes to drones, the Fed DWD fleet can, with minimal effort, rip any Kzinti fleet apart unless the Kzinti close to disruptor/phaser range.

Good games constantly evolve and ACTA-SF and ACTA in general is no different. I am 100% certain there will be other changes with most involving the perpetual quest for balance. In the interim, I'm buying a Kzinti fleet now (or rather, right after at least one of my Klingon or Romulan fleet boxes show) because with the change, they offer a more interesting game than the previous die rolling exercise.

I'm more and more in favour of the '3 ship limit' when it comes to drones. People are suggesting to the designers ways in which drone fleets are still quite viable without being the "I WIN" button they are right now. The cloaking device has limitations for similar reasons. A game with one or two superweapons which everyone uses because to do otherwise is suicide really does make for a boring game.

Tactics in a wargame, who'd have thought that would happen? :p

Quick note on this...

A new errata (all integrated, a couple of new bits and pieces) goes up tomorrow. We are going to put the three ship limit in for drones, on the understanding that if any issues become apparent, we'll whip it out pronto!

Back