Kzinti & Drones - Input Welcomed

AndyPalmer

You don't disapoint me, I have played both with and against SFB Kzinti, I have had 30+ Drones a turn on the mat and had to work hard to get more than a few of them on target. With high end games involving CVAs and drone fighters its not uncommon to have 100+ in flight at once. Those 100 Drones don't automaticaly hit. With defending ships, fighters and excorts few of them will hit but they keep the whole fleet busy shooting them down.

Yes Drones in ACTA are A main weapon for the Kzinti. But they are not THE weapon, something that in any fleet becomes overpowering.

ACTA is a different set of rules to SFB/FC. Drones cannot be shot down by any ship on the hex mat as they race towards the target. The change in Drone rules in ACTA to make it simpler and to remove mat clutter made them significantly overpowered. A fleet cannot defend against Drones fired against a single ship without using the one and only special action and even then its 50%.

As it stands a Kzinti fleet can reach out 36” from turn one and slam 12AD into two or more enemy ships. As I have already mentioned this is going to put roughly six dice of damage onto the targets shields Assuming not Fed or ADDs empty), say 21 damage. In a small fleet of 6 ships that is the ability to do 21 damage to two enemy ships that are within three feet, each and every turn. No reloads, no running out of ammo. This is the toned down version.

The feds with Photons throwing 12 of them from a three ship group will most likely hit with 6 of them doing 24 damage within 7” or doing 16 with 4 hits out to 15”. Then they have to reload. Yes Photons can punch through the shields but in comparison Drones are more powerful even with the three ship limit.

Three plasma ships can dump vastly more Plasma within 8” and then wander off to reload. There is however a significant gap between three feet and 8”.

Kzinti are not suddenly powerless, the entire fleet has not been nerfed. They can no longer destroy an enemy ship of cruiser size or below at a silly range once a turn without needing to fire any Disruptors or Phasers. They can still kill enemy ships, it just takes several turns and some tactics and planning. Is that such a bad thing?

With regard to SFB/FC. Yes Drones work differently there, yes the Kzinti and Feds and Klingon’s use them there. The Kzinti have a lot of Drones, everyone else have a lot of Phasers, the actual number of Drones that get through is not that high but every Drone that doesn’t get though is soaking up Phasers, ADDs, Drones, ECM, Shuttles etc that are not being used against the Kzinti fleet. Try a game of SFB/FC where the Kzinti Drones teleport to the target ship preventing any other ship firing on them unless they give up reloading heavy weapons, putting extra power into shields etc to represent the IDF command.

Sgt_G said:
The limit needs to be four, not three, ships launching drones at a single target because of the Fed BCG, unless the rules for that ship are revisitied. As it stands now, the BCG has 4AD of drones, which converts to Anti-Drone 4, and it has to run out of anti-drone ammo for ALL four racks to run it dry, otherwise it resets back to Anti-Drone 4 the next turn. If there is a three-ship limit allowed to fire at a BCG, it can -NEVER- totally run out of ammo in a single turn. If the limit is four ships firing, then there is a (slim) chance that the BCG could roll a "1" defending against all four waves of drones and run dry.

We (well ADB and Matt mainly but us in home games) have to look at the game as a whole and any unintended consequences of any change. Yes the Fed BCH is a problem, so is the Fed DN but you rarely see a Flat Top DN, why is that, perhaps because the BCH is a hugely capable ship way too cheap of its capabilities.

A fleet of 4 BCHs is immune to Drones; it also cannot fire any of its own since they are all in ADD mode. This leaves your 6 Kzinti ships facing 16 Photons and a lot of Phasers on fairly tough ships. You have denied them 16AD of Drones while they are negating the effectiveness of 24AD of your Drones, not a good deal but it still makes for a winnable fight. It still leaves the Kzinti fleet with 21-24 Disruptors that have a longer range and better chance to hit along with the limited number of Phasers the Kzinti have. With two more ships to Init sink and better ranges can the Kzinti still win even this fight, yes they can. The Kzinti fleet is not suddenly worthless, it just takes some work to win now.

Changing to 4 ship data nets just because a single (well DWDs as well) ship is proof against Drones impacts every ship in the game. Putting 16AD of Drones onto a cruiser is going to hit with about 10 of them (not counting ADD) unless the enemy fleet is using IDF. Another 4 AD is adding another 14 damage, that’s 35 damage after defensive fire from the target cruiser. That is a full strength shield down in one go plus internal damage. A few cruisers can boost shields and not take internals but everyone else is going to be badly hurt. On the second turn the ship then gets hit for the same again and dies. We are back to needing to IDF to stop the Drone heavy fleets from chewing up our ships from far outside range of return fire.

A three ship limit allows the bigger cruisers to go defensive, use ALL Phasers, tractors etc and take moderate damage, the smaller ships are damaged or crippled in one go. All those Phasers used on the Drones are not being used against you which reduces the enemy’s firepower significantly as well.

Just because the Drones are not doing massive damage does not make them useless, the three ship groups are still capable of hurting anyone and so force tactical changes on the enemy fleet. Do they risk firing Phasers with the heavy weapons or do they hold them back for Drone defence.

Changing the limit will have a big negative impact on every single ship in the game in order to counter one overpowered ship. Perhaps the cost of the Fed BCH should be looked at instead.

archon96 said:
same concept applies in today's military, you'd think with such a huge open sky that aircraft wouldn't have to worry about such things as being struck by an artillery round flying through the air.

This reminds me of a Tornado simulator I once spent way too many hours on. It mission planner was highly detailed (I think the core of it was used by the RAF at one point).

When planning a four ship attack on, say, an airfield, you could split the flight up so they came in on the target from four different directions but you had to plot not only tgheir positions so they did not fly into one another, but also (because they flew so low) where the bomb blasts would be and when.

I've just been reading about RAF spotter planes on D-Day being knocked out of the sky by the shells from the ships that they've been spotting for. :shock:

Changing the limit to four won't affect the BCH or DWD. Assuming you roll for ADD and roll a one each time for the first three, you simply use those Phaser 3's and tractors on the fourth.

I don't think you evaluate the change based on two Fed ships, both likely to get repointed, but rather in terms of the 1 ADD/drone ships or worse, one of the plasma fleets. The Gorn and Romulans will still get hurt at three but, pending trial play, still might be competitive at a three limit.

I'm not an SFB/FC person but my understanding is that drones, due to flight time and defensive measures, have about a 5% hit rate. While the mechanic may be quite different than SFB/FC, the overall effectiveness of drones in ACTA seems to still be considerably higher than in either SFB or FC even with the three ship limit in place.

Looking at the Salvage Cruiser with six drones at 150, I still think if someone really wants a ridiculous drone fleet, six of those for 900 points will do fine.

So, how will any drone race, especially the Kzintis, handle a star base now? 12 AD of drones per turn isn't even a nuisance to a SB, so now the Kzintis have to close to damage it, which just means they lose multiple ships per turn to phaser-IVs?

The more I think of this, the more I think we're trying to solve the wrong problem.

If drones were only range 18", would people still complain about their ability to get the combined throw-weight in drone ADs that they have? I doubt it. The root issue here is drones have a 36" range with no detriment to effectiveness or accuracy due to range, making AD that are balanced for close range (the listed drone AD values), unbalanced at long range.

That, IMO, is the root issue that needs to be resolved with a rule change and there are numerous ways to solve it.

1. Drones fired at > 18" range do so with 50% AD. This represents some destroyed due to terrain, fire from other ships, jammed control signals, etc.

2. Drones fired at > 18" do not hit until the end of the turn. All ships friendly to the target ship and within 6" of it (at the end of the turn) may fire ADDs and defensive phasers at the drones targeted at that ship prior to resolving the drone attack.

3. When a ship fires drones at > 18", its drone racks must rearm for one turn before firing again. This represents that the drone control channels are used for a longer period of time.

Let's please make sure we are fixing the right problem.

The Starbase issue ought to be separate. The simple fix, within the current fix, is to allow two squadrons to fire on a Starbase, they are BIG.

andypalmer said:
So, how will any drone race, especially the Kzintis, handle a star base now? 12 AD of drones per turn isn't even a nuisance to a SB, so now the Kzintis have to close to damage it, which just means they lose multiple ships per turn to phaser-IVs?

Well. On opposite you could ask how was starbase supposed to deal with kzinzi's before? How much 36" guns starbases carry?

If you are immobile you either need to outrange your enemy or have nothing to worry about enemy at the range they outrange you. Otherwise you're toast by default.

i would think to counter the range issue that star bases would also have a heavy drone and ADD load out. they should be able to punish you on the way in.

archon96 said:
i would think to counter the range issue that star bases would also have a heavy drone and ADD load out. they should be able to punish you on the way in.

Except the Gorn and Romulans don't use drones...

archon96 said:

Well. Do the star bases carry lots of drones? Enough to win drone chucking contest vs equal amount of kzinzi's? Because obviously if star base can't out-drone the kzinzi then kzinzi's will simply sit back at 36" range and hammer the star base to oblivion. Why approach to range of star bases big guns when it's not needed...

And unlike ships star base can't force the issue by advancing toward the offending drone chuckers.

If star base can't outrange it's opponent it's dead meat. Whether you are up against drones or phasers. You _must_ be able to go toe to toe at same ranges or you are toast.

gorn and rommies do have plasma d which i believe can be used as add and im not sure if they would run out of ammo. also considering a disruptor has a 24 inch range id almost guess that a phaser 4 should probably be a 36 or 38 range. that would force you to move up if you getting pelted by a BFG, also starbases prob have lots of suicide shuttles and fighters. i dont have my book in front of me at the moment. im also of the insane belief that a battleship should carry at least 1 phaser 4 in an f arc, but thats just crazy talk.

I would expect an Starbase, of any race, to easily deal with 12 AD worth of drones. I would expect the Starbase of a "West Coast" empire to be able to handle much more than that.

Phaser-IVs have an SFB range of 100 hexes, which is longer than a typical drone can fly (32 x 3 = 96).

If the station rules in the rulebook are accurate a Phaser IV has a range of 24"

and everyone gets drones on their stations - but I think that may or may not get errated.

A ship mounted Phaser IV would be cool - either a really big ship or a dedicated monitor style warship to help deal with installations :)

Starbase

Shields 60
Damage (hull 80, cargo 144) probably 150ish
Masses of shuttle, marines etc.
Phaser – 4s 12AD, Race heavy weapon 12AD, Drones 6AD if Drone users, Tractors 12

Feds (Photons 12AD, Drones 6AD, ADD 2AD (probably count as Drones), Phaser – 3 8AD, Tractors 12)
That’s 8 G-racks so stopping 42 Drones, Phasers stopping 16 Drones and Tractors stopping 6 more plus 6Dice of shield boost. So that’s a grand total of 70 Drones a turn of it goes fully defensive.

Somehow I don’t think you are going to be beating one in a drone fight.

To take out a Starbase you need to close and use heavy weapons, or bring in the maulers which were designed for base assaults. A Drone limit for firing on Starbases, not really a factor unless you have 20+ Kzinti ships and no defending ships.

You want to take a Starbase you need to get in close and smash it with ship weapons and expect to take loses doing so.

The Klingon’s have 2 ADD (maybe more) and 6 Drones plus 12AD of Disruptors instead of photons so they are much easier to take with Drone assaults, they only stop 46 Drones a turn (I suspect here that Starbases will have never ending ADDs, it’s a bit hard to justify something with hundreds of thousands of tons of cargo space running out of ADD ammo after just one attack turn.

The plasma races on the other hand get a whole 2 D-racks (be still my beating heart). Though since they have 6 Plasma- Rs and 6 Plasma – Fs it’s going to be more painful to get up close with them.

You can set a higher Drone limit on Bases, its not like they move to make them hard targets. But what is that limit going to be, the only effective way to take a Fed Starbase by Drone assault is with a 3000 point fleet of Kzintis and unless the Starbases is that expensive there is going to be a defending fleet as well.

The non Plasma Non Drone races are just as tough. The Hydrans have no drones but they do have 6 Phaser-Gs, that’s 24 Drones stopped right there. The Lyran have 6 ESGs which are going to be as effective against Drones as an ADD. A Plasma Starbase is only going to be stopping 34 a turn unless they get more D-Racks since the D-racks need to be reloaded when they run out at which point they are down to only 28 Drones a turn shot down not counting the defending fleet.

played a few Kzinti versus Fed games. 1,000 points each.
One using my suggested 6 ship limit and one using the majority proposed 3 ship limit.

When allowing 6 ships to fire drones, the Kzinti were still extreme powerful.
Most ofhte larger Fed ships could fight off a round of attacks, but then had little or no offensive firepower remaining. The smaller Federation shipsOTOH could not. If teamed up in paors and one using IDF, it could protect the other ship, but then the Kzinti player simply shifted fire to the one using IDF and ignored the other. Boosting shields and Take Evasive action helped, but then there was no chance at using a different special action.
The Kzinit one both games. One quite handily and one with only a bit more difficulty.

In two games with 3 ship limits, the results were way different.
The Feds won one and the Kzinti won one, and both were close. In both cases, the drones were bad, but not overwhelming and the Kzinti were still required to get up close an personal.

I hereby shift my vote to 3 ship limits and am keeping an open mind about allowing scouts to increase this number.

As for starbases, I'm still thinking on this. But since you're probably never going to be taking on a SB solo and reinforcement are always somewhere close by so there won't be an unlimited numbero f turns avaialble, do we even need to limit the number of ships that can drone a SB? And if so, why not go with double the standard number?

I'm not sure there is any demand among players for a game of 'shoot the starbase' or that those models will be available until the year 202? Outside of campaigns, would it ever come up? I can't see a Starbase assault as a tournament scenario or the kind of thing for which great demand exists for playing 'one of' type games.

Either way, I'm sure they will be subject to specific rules

archon96 said:
thank you scout dad, any chance youve had time to roll some gorn love. :lol:
Not yet, but I've put together a 1,000 point fleet that I want to knock around a bit before the NashCon tournament. I'm thinking of taking it there.

McKinstry said:
I'm not sure there is any demand among players for a game of 'shoot the starbase' or that those models will be available until the year 202? Outside of campaigns, would it ever come up? I can't see a Starbase assault as a tournament scenario or the kind of thing for which great demand exists for playing 'one of' type games.

Either way, I'm sure they will be subject to specific rules

Well model ought to be available this year and just 'cause they might not be used in tournaments much isn't reason to not get the rules right from the get-go...

Scoutdad Welcome aboard the 3 ship team :lol: . Oh and be sure to post how you do with a Gorn fleet, you may be joining another forum sub team soon :roll:

In terms of stats they are going to be based on FC so that’s what I mentioned earlier.

Doubling the limit to 6 ships against a Starbase does nothing unless all 6 are Drone bombardment ships. Any Starbase even the plasma ones can stand off 24 Drones easily so just having 6 Kzinti ships firing does nothing.

In terms of never fighting one, isn’t that the theme of the huge battle with 50+ ships Scoutdad was on about?

As for taking down a Starbase. Think of them as castles (they are basically heavily defended focal points for entire areas so the analogy is good). You can take the castle by storm or by siege.

Storm them and take them out fast but loses are going to be painful. Or cut them off from supply, use pickets to take out any ships trying to reach them with supplies and warships close by to deal with any attacks by the ships trapped there. Once the Starbase becomes weakened due to lack of stores and supplies, then move in and take it.

Historicaly this happened to a Fed Starbase in the general war, it was cut off and isolated in this way.

Back