If i was dictator of the galaxy and going design V2.0 ACTA

Wulf Corbett said:
Locutus9956 said:
Well simply put, if anyone tries to wiggle out of rules on grounds that flimsy I would perscribe a healthy course of bludgeoning to death with the rulebook :p
It's too lightweight. Use a Brikorta, it's what they're for.

Wulf

don't you mean a Brivoki?

Locutus9956 said:
Well to be honest EP I might have been one of the people giving that stick, but I I was it was on the grounds that it would be too big a change to the game for an update, but if were looking at a whole new edition (as is the case) then thats a completely different story. Hell I could even get on board with the idea of using D10s in this instance :p The only issue with both of these is that you have to compleltely redising the fleet lists and that will probably lead to more cases like the arma sag and sfos whitestar etc. But its a small price to pay for a better game overall!

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups as they said in Under Siege 2!
I said it was for a 2nd ed at that time! :p

Well then it probably wasnt me then :p I cant remember that far back but I would have objected if you said it was for an update but not if youd said it was for 2nd ed :p.

And personally Id say that the film Under Siege 2 itself was the mother of all f**kups but I digress.... (the first one on the other hand was cool :p)

Burger said:
philogara said:
Curious then as to why Sheridan bothers to inquire as to the sensors used. If he knows EA don't have anything capable (and given his interest in "black" projects, he might know somehting of such a ground breaking nature), why ask the question?
For the benefit of the audience.

Heh, probably true. Although, if I may bring up actual science: a sensor system is going to be limited by it's antenna array. The size of that will be drastically larger on an immobile space station, as opposed to a Hyperion cruiser. Of course, if he were inquiring about that, the answer given on screen wouldn't have been correct...

ObOnTopic: I don't actually mind the PL system, except where it gets exponential at the high end. There is a _big_ jump between Battle and War (and presumably Armageddon, although I don't own that). This could be solved by a coarse point system (Patrol ships are 1, Skirmish ships are 2, Raid 4, Battle 8, etc), or by introducing an intermediate level or two (2 War points buys 3 BatWar level ships).

And yes, having holes in any given fleet list makes sense to me. The only requirement is that everyone have a jump-capable ship (unless they're immensely low tech), and that everyone have a few straight combat ships (because this is a war game and we want to make things go boom).

I prefer d10 as well, but would be very surprised if things went that way.

I'd prefer d10 too, if it was all originally planned that way. But I'd prefer to keep it like it is than to have the hassle of changing, all the playtesting and bugfixing, broken ships and rules issues it would create. It would basically be a new game completely.

Locutus9956 said:
Agree completely Burger but then, isnt that sort of the point of a completely new edition as opposed to a rules update?
IMO it'd be even more than a new edition. It'd be a new game. Not ACTA 2.0, but LoTR 1.0 or something ;)

Locutus9956 said:
Agree completely Burger but then, isnt that sort of the point of a completely new edition as opposed to a rules update?
Not really, with D10 mechanics virtually NOTHING could remain as it is. IT wouldn't be a new edition, it'd be a whole new game. As though the Mongoose B5 RPG suddenly became powered by GURPS...

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Locutus9956 said:
Not really, with D10 mechanics virtually NOTHING could remain as it is. IT wouldn't be a new edition, it'd be a whole new game. As though the Mongoose B5 RPG suddenly became powered by GURPS...

Wulf
If the system was the same eg weapon bonus/minus + roll = hull then a hit is scored. Thats the same mechanic. The only things that would be changing would be hull and the trait numbers, these would be tweaks more than anything.Some hull 6 ships will be hull 10 while others hull 9 There would be no need to change hits and the weapons AD or DD,TD.

The reason i hate dogfights is fighters just end static in the middle of the board they should be zooming around. Dogfights aren't static things anyway. If fighters had a trait that modifies the targets dodge like dogfight score then there is a difference between anti ship and anti fighter. It's also another reason fighters don't really get do anything. How often does Sky Serpent actually get to shoot? get into firing position and then get engaged in a dogfight if even you got near a ship.
If you could decide whether you were going shoot at the fighters trying to intercept you or at the ship. What happens at the moment fighters get tied up in the middle of the board then whoever wins doesn't have enough fighters to do anything with them.

Alexb83 said:
That sounds about right :) But thinking from his PoV - he's new to the station, he doesn't know if it is fitted with some uber-sensor suite that isn't on mainline warships. He's trying to explain why they can detect the Minbari whereas its normally impossible - he finds out that they've got normal EA sensors, so he deduces the Minbari must have their stealth fields turned off.

And it would make sense that a rather massive installation might have more advanced and capable systems due to increased power and lessened space concerns... Although apparently they went cheap on those aprts as they did so much else.

I notice some peeps still seem to think fighters do nothing, I have to ask If I am playing it wrong? my Frazi ALWAYS get to shoot some cap ships, both when they shot last, and now they shoot first? conversely, playing against the boneheads, I have been attacked by Nials an aweful lot, I may have misinterpreted the rules, but there you go

How many fighters can attack? Frazi's get to attck cause no one actually takes fighters against, how did the nials get through your e-mines? Probably playin with another race silly question.
In a EA vs Cent game they both cancel each other out whats left is ineffectual. Ever seen a Drazi fighter attack?
Then you r also probably playin fighters right by coming in a arc that they would rather shoot at a cap. Without the dogfight, fighters can chase each round or ignore each and try hurt caps. I find the game is a lot better without them but then thats just my opinion. But then the way we play fighters are great at taking out ships engines, weapons and various other sticky out bits due giving precise but only do d3,d6 on our modded crit chart. I probably go on a bit much but our group think we have got the game far superior to what the current rules are. Opinion again.
If you were going to base things off the show, fighters are shooting ships while others are trying shoot them. They seem to whiz past each other and engage the ships more than each other.
Also think fighters are too slow. Vorchan and Whitestars are faster than anything else. Shouldn't fighters still be able to catch them even with APTE?

Burger said:
emperorpenguin said:
same reason why Ivanova hadn't heard about his famous way of destroying the Black Star
I always thought that she had heard the official story, but wanted to hear him tell it directly. In case ISN left out any... details ;)
She was probably too busy mourning the death of her brother to pay much attention at the time. Later on she probably had more immeadiate concerns (like the Minbari steadily munching through EA space).

Karhedron said:
Burger said:
emperorpenguin said:
same reason why Ivanova hadn't heard about his famous way of destroying the Black Star
I always thought that she had heard the official story, but wanted to hear him tell it directly. In case ISN left out any... details ;)
She was probably too busy mourning the death of her brother to pay much attention at the time. Later on she probably had more immeadiate concerns (like the Minbari steadily munching through EA space).
He died on the line, didn't he? The Black Star was considerably earlier than that.

Burger said:
Karhedron said:
He died on the line, didn't he? The Black Star was considerably earlier than that.

Nope. He was the pilot who chased down the Minbari decoy, which drew Sheridan's group into the Black Star's ambush.

Xorrandor said:
Burger said:
Karhedron said:

Nope. He was the pilot who chased down the Minbari decoy, which drew Sheridan's group into the Black Star's ambush.
Oh right... well she'd definitely have heard the story then, her brother was involved with the EA's only victory of the war!!!

would like to see all fleets have access to anything that is a balancing mechanic.

Ie scouts and carriers which are used as balancing mechanics for stealth and fighter issues. They can be vastly different (delphi, oracle, shiarie and vaarl are all vastly different and not just different flavors).

the carrier is the fleet carrier traits ability to have regenerating fighters. Given fighers capabilities under Arm. this can really tip things.

Drazi vs Minbari is a very poor fight right now, mainly because the balance factors for stealth that were added to the game are not availbable to the Drazi (fighter in StF die early given the fighter design and the drazi do not come with many that can get in range, no scout).

Give Vree either shield or dodge or stealth or something to keep them competative. The low damage numbers/hull just mean they rarely survive the field unless in heavy terrain.

Abbai would get the shields idea. Interceptors that affect beams too would be fine. It just fits the fluff better, not sure what if anything they would need to change to balance. Raise the speed of the Kotha so that it could keep up with the fleet on APtE and provide support. Still weak and all just able to stay with the fleet as it tries to survive closing.

Liked an idea timeslip had of one crit per weapon system. Allows the precise/multidamage weapons to still be effective without the sudden explosions of a good die roll we see almost every game around here. Also like the idea of no multipiling damage from DD/TD weapons but then allowing multiple crits seems needed. Torn on that, just would like the game to be slightly less crit dependant/have patrol/skirmish ships be slightly more survivable when they take a crit and the big boys not made irrelevant by a handful of crits when its three quarters intact otherwise.

Ripple

Back