Idea - Fighters Semi-Precise

Morpheus1975

Mongoose
Give all fighters semi-precise so if a fighter flight rolls and get a few sixes here are two verisons of this idea.

Fighter - 4AD
Rolls 1 Five or Six - 1 Critical Hit
Rolls 2 Fives or Sixes - 1 Critical Hit
Rolls 3 Fives or Sixes - 2 Critical Hits
Rolls 4 Fives or Sixes - 2 Critical Hits

In Other Words - Rounding Up -> # Sixes/2

Total Number of Sixes Rolled/2 (Round Down) = # Crits

This give a little punch to all the fighters but does not overdo it because the chances of a single flight getting 4 fives or sixes on 4 dice is 1/3^4 or 1 to 81. The chances of them getting a single crit are higher but still fairly low.

Personally I prefer option 2 because rounding down give fighters and edge but not a very hard one.

Option one gives them some serious bite.

Sorry, I'm confused...this reads to me as if you're simply reducing the number of crits fighters can score. Have I missed something, or is this what you're trying to acheive?

Ah, I see.

Actually, combined with fighters firing first I'd say no, definitely not. I can see far too many ships getting critted out of the game by fighters without being able to defend themselves as it is.

If fighters don't shoot first, here's a counter proposal - fighters count precise (well, some dedicated anti-ship fighters do, such as Frazis and T-Bolts) BUT they ignore any critical dice roll above a '4', either for location or effect. So any '5' or '6', i.e crew or vital system crit, is ignored and is just treated as a 1damage, 1 crew solid hit. A 4-4 roll would cause power fluctuations as normal, but a 4-5 or 4-6 is, again just treated as a normal hit.

It's a bit simpler, and it avoids the 'one fighter mission kills the battleship' scenario.

Err... I have managed to get 1 single game with the 'forum discussed' fighter rules (which are hopefully the same as Armageddon and some giant spoof)

I'd like to think I'll play a lot more before deciding they need 'fixing'. Again.

my alternate idea for fighter crits is to have a seperate table for them, after all what are fighters usually sent after in any space setting? engines and weapons, plus hitting the hull tends to damage crew so the table would be like this:

1-3 engines crit
4-5 weapons crit
6 crew crit

this means they cant get the reactor or the vital systems as these are mostly buried deep within the hull of ships (apart from the bridge on some) and would be more realistic of what fighters actually do.

Has anyone taken a look at if the general crit tables need to be revised rather then complaining about how precise is too powerful?

I find the critical hit table to be OK, possibly modifying it a little in places, e.g reducing turns, knocking ship traits off-line and the like. But I have no problems with it as it stands.

How about fighters have -1, -2 or -3 to their crit result roll? Or as Ripple has suggested roll D3 for crit result? This would limit their severity.

There have been a couple of discussion on the crit tables. Some folks love them and some folks hate them.

I guess I am in the hate them camp as I do not like the x-6 crits at all.

We are finding more and more that a 'speed 0' is instant death against certain races that take assault ships (brakiri being the best known) to battle or Dilgar.

The 4-6 no fire crit is rarely fixed before the battle is decided one way or the other.

And of course the 6-5/6-6 crits are the end of any ship raid or below. Even with single damage weapons these tend to be enough with the damage that spawned the crit.

Most battles are won and lost on the critical table from what I have seen rather than on manuever. This is often unsatisfing. I would have prefered to see a few changes like engines 5 being lose a turn rather than lose specials, I mean how does that affect my ability to concentrate fire? I would rather see the speed zero's be adrift, move forward at half speed minus crits no turns. I am okay with the reactor hit, still think it should drift but that one can mess with specials. The no fire one I would rather see be half AD all weapons, round down. The no damage control I do not like, maybe if a single crit couldn't invalidate my whole ship but it can.

Anyway, tangent...do not like precise of any kind for fighters. With the new rule we are even discussion fighters onl rolling a D3 on the crit charts to keep the 'golden beebee' from becoming a game killer. The new rule made fighters a threat to anything their own size in my opinion. Get enough fighters together and they weill kill things.

Ripple

Hey, what about Reaverman’s Redundancy? I like his idea easy quick fix to some of the crit’s hits problems!!

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20821

Arcadia

Redundancy is a great idea.
I also like criticals though, we still have the ole 6-6 explode crit in our modified table.

Ripple said:
There have been a couple of discussion on the crit tables. Some folks love them and some folks hate them.

I guess I am in the hate them camp as I do not like the x-6 crits at all.

We are finding more and more that a 'speed 0' is instant death against certain races that take assault ships (brakiri being the best known) to battle or Dilgar.

The 4-6 no fire crit is rarely fixed before the battle is decided one way or the other.

And of course the 6-5/6-6 crits are the end of any ship raid or below. Even with single damage weapons these tend to be enough with the damage that spawned the crit.

Most battles are won and lost on the critical table from what I have seen rather than on manuever. This is often unsatisfing. I would have prefered to see a few changes like engines 5 being lose a turn rather than lose specials, I mean how does that affect my ability to concentrate fire? I would rather see the speed zero's be adrift, move forward at half speed minus crits no turns. I am okay with the reactor hit, still think it should drift but that one can mess with specials. The no fire one I would rather see be half AD all weapons, round down. The no damage control I do not like, maybe if a single crit couldn't invalidate my whole ship but it can.

Ripple, I have opened a new topic for us to continue this discussion.

Back