Forth any one interested?

BuShips said:
OK, here is fluff for why the Forth use bipedal machines.

In the dim past of their history, an alien spaceship crashed on the Forth home world. As this was obviously from a very advanced culture, the ancestors of the Forth tried to understand the message that it was sending them.

They sorted through the contents of the spaceship, and found the creature's bodies puzzlingly different in that their biology was bipedal. They noticed that there were larger devices that were made to fit as extensions of the creatures legs (found in a cargo area) that extended and enhanced the mobility of the creatures. A cult soon grew around these strange alien beings, none of whom survived the landing.

Knowing that the spacecraft was from a superior Race, the early Forth tried to emulate this efficient biological design into their later transportation machines once they went through their industrial age. When the level of technology of the Forth allowed the production of advanced war machines, they too were patterned off of the ancient bipedal design. The first views of an Arachnid Warrior gave them the added idea of a four-legged machine for added stability.

What the Races that later met the Forth did not know and would never find out was that what gave the Forth their mobility and their inspiration to reach out to the universe was the equivalent of
a circus transport with stilt-walkers aboard. This alone set the Forth on a path to gain technological ascendance to threaten the other sentient inhabitants of space.

The universe is not without a sense of humor and irony, it seems. :wink:
:roll: :lol:

lt.harper said:
BuShips said:

In the dim past of their history, an alien spaceship crashed on the Forth home world. As this was obviously from a very advanced culture, the ancestors of the Forth tried to understand the message that it was sending them.

They sorted through the contents of the spaceship, and found the creature's bodies puzzlingly different in that their biology was bipedal. They noticed that there were larger devices that were made to fit as extensions of the creatures legs (found in a cargo area) that extended and enhanced the mobility of the creatures. A cult soon grew around these strange alien beings, none of whom survived the landing.

Knowing that the spacecraft was from a superior Race, the early Forth tried to emulate this efficient biological design into their later transportation machines once they went through their industrial age. When the level of technology of the Forth allowed the production of advanced war machines, they too were patterned off of the ancient bipedal design. The first views of an Arachnid Warrior gave them the added idea of a four-legged machine for added stability.

What the Races that later met the Forth did not know and would never find out was that what gave the Forth their mobility and their inspiration to reach out to the universe was the equivalent of
a circus transport with stilt-walkers aboard. This alone set the Forth on a path to gain technological ascendance to threaten the other sentient inhabitants of space.

Ah, you got it, even with my punctuation errors. Indeed, you are a member of a sentient Race. :wink:

BuShips said:
lt.harper said:
BuShips said:

Ah, you got it, even with my punctuation errors. Indeed, you are a member of a sentient Race. :wink:
Oh, the irony, that an advance race got the idea of walkers from a simple pare of stilts.

Actually, they're named after a popular children's show from 10 years ago (when the current troops were all kids): Macross, Fourth Wave. The show involved a generation ship being sent out to create a safe home for humanity, with the original battle cry of "Go Fourth Wave!" degenerating to "Go Forth!" by the end of the journey. As a Macross descendant it had fancy Mecha of various types, of course, which is why troopers started calling Forth war machines the Fourth Wave or Forth.

lt.harper said:
Hhhmmm, interesting. but i never heard of fourth wave, i do however know about macross wich is realy Robotech.

Um, Macross, Fouth Wave doesn't exist (yet!). This is a SF game, so the Sky Marshalls of the future haven't even been born yet. 'sa joke, dude... :wink:

Hiromoon said:
Anyway, the SST v1.0 army book for the Forth was going to explain how they got the name of Forth.

Ah, so that earlier post was not just idle speculation? I know, I know: "You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment."

Xorrandor said:
Hiromoon said:
Anyway, the SST v1.0 army book for the Forth was going to explain how they got the name of Forth.

Ah, so that earlier post was not just idle speculation? I know, I know: "You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment."

He cannot even comment that he cannot comment. :lol:

I must squeeze my head in here and comment.

I do not care whether you like the name or not.

It is VERY lame.

I am not having a go at whoever came up with it, but that is how I feel about it. I am sorry if I offend anyone, but am not trying to flame or cause flame or be flamed.

If you are offended then fire away.

Now, on to my point:
The name is lame, the planet excuse is lame.
Which leades me to an important question:
How did Sony or the Heinlein estate agree to it?
I just gotta know. I heard the Heinlein estate said a machine race was a 'no no' from someone (sorry I forgot you) in this thread or a recent one (I cannot recall), so I assume they have a say on what becomes a race, regarding look, idea, and name.

Now, fire away with responses.

*Hides under a desk*

Gwhad a very lame attempt with that alright, but Tyranids does sound cooler than fourth(?). It was a mix between Tyarnnosaurus and Arachnid I believe. They say it was the planet they were first discovered though. Note that tyranids have reptiliian and insectopid qualities.

GW addmitted lately the real reason (I think in White Dwarf Codex designers notes) that the name really came from Tyanosaurus due to the size and appearance of some of the models.

Mage said:
I do not care whether you like the name or not.

It is VERY lame.

It's a name. A Skinny by any other name would still smell as bad. At least they didn't make it an unpronounceable consonant soup or something. I'm afraid I just don't feel strongly enough about "Forth" to call it VERY anything, lame or otherwise.

Back