Forth any one interested?

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
I wasn't criticizing you for not liking the name at all!!!!

I was merely commenting about people grinding on and on about it . . . .

I think it probably more a case that people are fed up of wanting steak and only being given sizzle.

Or funny grey dudes with tails . . . . .

Naa thats to much of a mouthful, Puddleducks is far better.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
'Skinnie' or 'Bug' are hardly better names really.

Errr they came with the book..... it would be a rather rum deal to make a wargame based on a novel and then ignore the race names given in the book.

Although to be honest, Skinnie could well have just been a derogatory name used by the MI to describe a race with a different name, as its more a description than anything else. In the same way that towelhead is used as a derogatory name to describe anyone from the Middle East.

cordas said:
Errr they came with the book..... it would be a rather rum deal to make a wargame based on a novel and then ignore the race names given in the book.

Well DUH!

That was a little condescending of you AND you completely missed my point.

I actually am quite interested in the Forth, I think they might need a bit more work still (The actual design of the race is even more half arsed than the name!) but the concept is sound.

Like Cordas though a hell of alot is gonna depend on the price.
If mongoose are going to be charging around £20 per figure then I might well end up using Macross model kits, same sort of price, but I actually get to build it and paint it :D and Zentradi are so huge that even at 1/120 they're gonna look the right size, plus an army of officer pods would just look so damn cool!
Also, Im assuming that if I change the ruling of the unlimited reaction upgrade to react to being shot at I can use them in SST v1 as well (might need a couple of other tweaks too) which is a bonus, from what I've seen and heard the Evo rules are a bit to cut down for me... but I'll probably still pick the book up if theres anything that interests me in there.

So a conditional yeah to my interest, but right now its more fueled by my love of giant fighting robots than anything Mongoose have shown thus far :?

Sounds to me like we should start a thread of what we should not call new races.

I'll get the ball rollling:
Polesmokers (Wrong on so many levels)
Jaundesians
Kleb

:lol:
The thing is though, Im not sure we'd have this much problem if they were called the Kleb :D
At least then you don't get the impression the naming process went something like:
'What should we call the fourth race for SST?'
'Um... Im not sure, lets call the the 4th for now till we can think of something better'
Several months latter '... um... maybe if we dropped the U?'

So for that reason my suggestion for what not what to call the next race is the Fifth/Fith/Fif/Phif/etc

Shinies? Shinies? That sounds like whoever suggested that name had just spent the prior weekend watching the entire Firefly DVD, heh. :lol:

Come on, there is nothing wrong with the "Forth". That could just be what humans call them because their real name is ten thousand letters long and is impossible to pronounce. I know. I've tried. Oops, that's been done before? Hmm. Well, what about calling them the "Oompa Loompans" then. I like that. :wink: Here is what the Forth really look like, once you get them out of their machines. It's a great fluff reason just why they all climb into metal shells and seal themselves up, right? Those deadly machines of destruction are much better visions of how to be taken seriously when trying to secure their borders. :twisted:

Besides, this also explains the name "Forth". You see, it's not the name for the Race, as it's their own name for the competition-winning design entry for deadly machines of destruction. The "forth" entry was the winner. The third entry was an exact copy of the Oscar Meyer wiener-mobile and the records of the other entries were purged just after the competition was completed. BTW, the wiener-mobile was the entry of the Oompa-Loompan who managed the computer records department. He was also known for not spelling very well. :wink:

OompaLoompas.jpg

emperorpenguin said:
the point is why criticise someoe who says they don't like the name, and it is lame

But is it mandatory to bring it up in every darn thread out there? Why bring up more hostility just for sake of it. It's not like the name is going to change...

cordas said:
Lieutenant Rasczak said:

But in both case name is equally uninspiring. So if Forth causes problems in name so should those...

tneva82 said:
cordas said:
Lieutenant Rasczak said:

But in both case name is equally uninspiring. So if Forth causes problems in name so should those...

Well they where called the Arachnids, as they have never comunicated with Humanity (or at least not in the time frame that the book deals with) it would be humans who named them, as for bugs it was slang used by the MI.

You also have to consider when the novel was written, it was quite a while ago and being an influentail Sci Fi novel it has inspired many copy cats. That is part of the difference.... the other being MGP had to use what Heinlein used for those races, when it comes to adding their own races they have a clean sheet to call them whatever they want as there is no precedent that they must follow.

I don't have anything against walker mechs being in a game for flavor, but I'd rather play a large group of size 1 grunts with rifles and missile launchers, or a varied mix of chittering Arachnids. I'm basically not excited with the 4th's army concept. I never caught the Battletech fever that went around in my area. And for a guy who owns a lot of 28mm alien races from many games I'm just now realizing I don't have any figures in the "Greys" category. I wonder why?? Maybe subconsciously I'm scarred by the details of my alien abduction.. :lol:

That's not to say that I wouldn't perhaps buy a few when they come out, if they look really good. I'm just very doubtful that I'd be inspired to collect them to the extent I've collected MI, Arachnids, and eventually Skinnies. :)

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
Its just a fricking name Lol!

!

Skinnie and Bug are visual nicknames, they work perfectly for a race where you cannot communicate. Similar to the "Chigs" of SAAB.

You encounter a race of huge spider like critters and call them "bugs" or tall, thin beings and call them "skinnies".

What I don't like is how under any circumstances you can meet a third race and call them "Fo(u)rth". It's not visually descriptive, it doesn't fit with the established pattern, it is just poor imagination.
The name was originally settled on way back as the "Fourth race", then the "u" was dropped and it became "oh that's where we met them".

It really should have been a descriptive name to fit with "Skinnie" or "Bug"

tneva82 said:
emperorpenguin said:
the point is why criticise someoe who says they don't like the name, and it is lame

But is it mandatory to bring it up in every darn thread out there? Why bring up more hostility just for sake of it. It's not like the name is going to change...

How the hell am I bringing it up in every darn thread!? :x I almost never even post in SST since the game went into hibernation, and I certainly don't talk about SST in ACTA or BFEvo, less of the hyperbole please tneva

Anally retentive claptrap.

If you (and thats a general you, not directed at you specifically before you get tetchy) don't like something its really REALLY easy to justify something.

ITS JUST A FRICKING NAME!

Lieutenant Rasczak said:

If you (and thats a general you, not directed at you specifically before you get tetchy) don't like something its really REALLY easy to justify something.

so was squats......

and Marion Morrisson.....

and Persia......

names change. Sometimes they are bloody awful

you realy can't expect people to not talk about something they dislike,

FFS talk about something of some import.

Rules, the Miniatures, artwork, etc.

Its just a name mate, and no big deal at all.

If they had a name that was a swear word (of sorts), or was a copyright infringement I could understand it.

But grinding on and on about it because its a bit dull or unimpressive is really REALLY lame Lol!

you do realise what this thread is about? :roll: and if you hadn't decided to get all annoyed over my dislike of the name this wouldn't have "grinded on". I'm not grinding on, you are because you have an inability to let other people voice an opinion. I'd not have bothered replying to this thread beyond that very first post had you not decided to jump in boots first.

Let it go, you cannot and should not get to dictate what gets talked about so please stop it

If I wish to talk about something and I am not being abusive and not harming anyone then where is the problem? :roll:

EDIT: there are many, many topics in ACTA that I am sick of the sight of, but I will NEVER tell someone to stop talking about them because everyone is entitled to their say. I suggest you do what I do and ignore that which you find to be "done to death"

Lieutenant Rasczak said:

Jesus dude could you actually just once accept that people might have a differing opinion and leave it at that?
I respect you and all that but you are damned intollerant of people having opininions on things you consider settled :roll:

If you think the fourth race in a wargame being called the Forth is cool thats absolutly fine!
But others are just as entitled to think its an incredibly half arsed name, and to discuss it in a topic about the Forth (Especially since all weve been shown is a couple of pages of fluff). If the name, race design, and history are all lacking all they to fall back on is being giant robots, which is certainly something worthy of a topic on the SST forum!
If all you can add to the conversation is a request that we stop discussing it, maybe you should follow your own advice?

Come to think of it, the Forth are only the third race the Federation have encountered according to the fluff, so thats even worse lol...

Back