Canonical Traveller Starports in Fiction

Spirit of 1977

Cosmic Mongoose
I'm interested in examples of starports in any kind of science fiction that are good examples of canonical Traveller starports. I'll give two examples, one not quite right and one nearly perfect, that hopefully explain what I mean.

Most Star Trek starbases seems to be close to Class A or B starports, depending upon whether they have starship shipyards. For example, the Enterprise seemed to undergo its refit in the 1st movie at an annex of a starbase. I'm aware that there are dedicated shipyards in Star Trek (e.g., the one on Mars whose name escapes me). But I also think of Class A-B starports as having significant commerce, entertainment, and lodging, like a really good international airport. That seems to be lacking in Star Trek starports, though there was a Strange New Worlds episode that suggested Starbase 1 is a huge ecosystem.

In contrast, Mos Eisley is a straight up canonical Class C starport in my view. Docking, informal commerce, dive bars, illicit nooks and crannies. Perfect.

You are free to disagree with these examples, but I'm more interested in other examples you have from your favorite fiction. I'm looking to broaden my knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

C. J. Cherryh's Union/Alliance/Compact books are loaded with highports - before humans discovered jump [1] most inhabited systems contained nothing interesting but a station, many of which got mothballed post-FTL. All have lots of transient accommodation, because the first thing a spacer wants to do when they make port is to get a room that's not on their ship. (If they're merchanters, the next thing they do is find a bar and look for this stop's pickup.)

Over on Compact side, the Pride of Chanur got a major FTL upgrade at a mahen'do'sat station, so definite shipyard facilities there.

(Cherryh's stations use a very precarious sounding way of docking ships...)

[1] Which works very differently from Trav's jump.

Most Star Trek starbases seems to be close to Class A or B starports, depending upon whether they have starship shipyards. For example, the Enterprise seemed to undergo its refit in the 1st movie at an annex of a starbase. I'm aware that there are dedicated shipyards in Star Trek (e.g., the one on Mars whose name escapes me). But I also think of Class A-B starports as having significant commerce, entertainment, and lodging, like a really good international airport. That seems to be lacking in Star Trek starports, though there was a Strange New Worlds episode that suggested Starbase 1 is a huge ecosystem.

I am not sure I would agree with this, as a Star Base in Star Trek (Original Series) would be more analogous to a Traveller combination Naval/Scout Base, whereas a Traveller Starport is a Civilian commercial port (which may have a Naval or Scout Base attached in some cases). This is why the commerce, entertainment, and lodging are lacking at the Starfleet Star Base facilities.

In ST:TMP the NCC-1701 was undergoing refit at the orbital facility of Star Fleet's San Francisco Construction Yards. (BTW the Mars facility is the Utopia Planitia Yards. )

In contrast, Mos Eisley is a straight up canonical Class C starport in my view. Docking, informal commerce, dive bars, illicit nooks and crannies. Perfect.

Agreed on Mos Eisley.

The Dumarest novels give examples of Class D and E starports in the books, but that is probably not what you are asking about.

I don't actually recall a starport in Space Viking.

I do recall quite a number of wilderness landings, and one hidden base.

B5 is a good example. I definitely like the concept of secret or out of the way permanent populations that most travellers never see. Good plot device for a starport centered scenario: the PCs need the aid of one of these groups to accomplish a goal, or such a group needs the PC's help.

Lets not forget Babylong 5! Most definitely a Class-A Starport
I'm reminded now of Mongoose B5's Starport book, where they presented seven different facilities (Human, Minbari, Centauri, Narn, Drazi, Brakiri, Abbai).

I know something like this has been suggested before, but it would be fun to have a Traveller version (maybe eight ports, two each for A, B, C, and D class, and representing different polities)...

There is this book that touches on different starports:
Also there's GURPS Traveller: Starports, which has a nice sestina by John M. Ford.

There is this book that touches on different starports:
Which I love! Good reminder; I suppose I'm just greedy for more 😁

I'd love more examples of Class D starports in literature and video. Gritty, dirty, lawless, dangerous. Would Outland (1981) qualify? What else?

Outland gives me more of the feel of a Class G Spaceport.
You know how a Class E starport is basically a notation on the chart saying "this is probably a good place to land"? Well, the installation in Saturn 3 is marked "seriously, don't land anywhere near here".

Back