Doctor Who/Torchwood

Eryx

Mongoose
Since the thread seems to have vanished somewhere, heres a repeat plea for a decent (non-D20) Doctor Who RPG.

Please!

I lost all my bookmarks the other day..and eventually get back to mongoose...

Where the heck did my original Torchwood thread go????

Hmmm...well if it ever happens...remember it was me who mentioned it first ;)

I don't see the point in removing threads...lots of usefull stuff in old threads..

Shadow Queen said:
how many timelords would you alow?

In my case, just one and the others be companions. Unless of course my players came up with a good character idea.

My campaign (which I'm plotting out in hopes of Mongoose doing a Dr Who game! :D ) is set well before the Time War anyway.

There was a Doctor Who RPG, once. It came out in a normal paperback size format, and was about as popular as a randy dog at a Miss Lovely Legs competition. I can't remember who published it but the game allowed you to play the existing doctors and their companions up to Sylvester McCoy's Doctor and Ace.

I think the problem was that it did not allow much variety for the players. The characters were set in stone and the chances of them actually dying were about zero. My group refused outright to play it and I think I gave it away in the end.

Even with the ressurection of the Dr Who TV series and its rise in popularity the problem remains as to what sort of characters you could play. Apart from the Doctor the Timelords did not go swanning around time and space at will ( apart from a couple of exceptions like Romana ). So if players can't play Timelords that relegates them to being companions, second fiddle to an NPC Doctor.

Torchwood brings more possiblities to light as they mention on that there have been other Torchwood projects than the one in Cardiff. This may not be as universally popular as Dr Who but it allows a game with all the favourite heroes and villians to put in an appearance, while allowing players some freedom in character creation. It could even be Welsh if you like.

Travire, there have been two Doctor Who RPGs. The first one was by FASA. It suggested the existence of the 'Celestial Intervention Agency', a group of Timelords who actively sought out problems in time and space.
There were a number of supplements (Daleks, Cybermen) and several scenarios.

I would snap up a new Who RPG in an instant. There have probably been more threads suggesting such a thing on this section of the boards than any other (of course they have been cleared out, so we get to start again :) ).

Greg Smith said:
Travire, there have been two Doctor Who RPGs. The first one was by FASA. It suggested the existence of the 'Celestial Intervention Agency', a group of Timelords who actively sought out problems in time and space.

The CIA (Celestial Intervention Agency) was mentioned in about two episodes of the series and appeared in several of the novels, and would (as you say) be the perfect platform for the game.

mthomason said:
And a new Dr. Who RPG really does have to be made by Mongoose. Otherwise it'll get Americanised :shock:

Look in Webster's. Americanized means "Made vastly superior."

Travire said:
Torchwood brings more possiblities to light as they mention on that there have been other Torchwood projects than the one in Cardiff. This may not be as universally popular as Dr Who but it allows a game with all the favourite heroes and villians to put in an appearance, while allowing players some freedom in character creation. It could even be Welsh if you like.

Yeah they mentioned about four but two are currently active while the others...well...won't say spoilers or anything here.

Isnt there other groups out there like UNIT and stuff? Quite a few factions really.

I'm going to give this another bump! :)

With Torchwood doing as well as it did (2nd seasong being commissioned and all), and a new series of Dr Who coming up in a few months, I really think this is a license thats worth shelling out for!

A lot of stuff can be done over all the years..

One guy has done a stunning job bringing it already to the tabletop...

Link

http://www.drwhominiatures.co.uk/index.html

All the daleks you need and more..!!!

Back