Doctor Who/Torchwood

No-one in the Uk over the age of 20 ever forgot the blue police box, 'Exterminate', and the scarf, despite the show being off the air for 17 years.

One year is quiet a short break for Doctor Who fans.

Yeah, this isn't the 'break' we hadd last time, which was a precursor to the show's cancellation. We're getting three specials too so it's not bad at all. Also it gives Mr T a break to recharge his entheusiasm for the character.

Cheers
Mark

MarkNorfolk said:
Yeah, this isn't the 'break' we hadd last time, which was a precursor to the show's cancellation. We're getting three specials too so it's not bad at all. Also it gives Mr T a break to recharge his entheusiasm for the character.

I see it as having something to look forward to every few months. I'm sitting here being stoked for this year's Chrimbo special since the main series ended and that's been pretty much constant since then.

When's Torchwood Season 2 starting, btw?

Season 1 of Torchwood starts this weekend on BBA-America.

TIVO is already set! 8)

Several US papers have given it good review too. The local TV Critic said "It is the best new show starting in September". Since September is the beginning of the new season in the US, I don't know if this is high praise for Torchwood or poor praise for the upcoming new shows in the US. (probably a bit of both). :wink:

Yep Cubicle 7 is making the Doctor Who game and its starting playtesting very soon, I should know Im the playtest coordinator for Cubicle 7.

Rog.

Following" the critically acclaimed season three finale, the BBC has announced that Catherine Tate is set to return to the Tardis for the complete 13 week run of series 4 of Doctor Who, reprising her role as Donna from the 2006 Christmas special. Freema Agyeman, who won praise for her portrayal of Martha Jones in series 3, is also set to return mid series four. "

Okay I'm a little confused. If there are only 3 specials for 2008 and Season 5 is 2009 then where is the 13 week Season 4 with Tate fitting into all this?

Ranger66 said:
Okay I'm a little confused. If there are only 3 specials for 2008 and Season 5 is 2009 then where is the 13 week Season 4 with Tate fitting into all this?

There's a full 13 episodes this year, 3 specials in 2009 and 13 eps in 2010.

Bewildered Badger said:
No chance of the 'Goose producing a Who RPG. It's just been reported that a company called Cubicle 7 has got the license.

So is it just for Doctor Who or does it include Torchwood?

The current plan is that there will be three Bank Holiday specials for 2009, and possibly a Christmas special. As recording three (or four) specials takes up less time than fourteen 45 regular episodes, this still allows Tennant time to go do serious actor type stuff*.
A full series will be shown in 2010. RTD has suggested that this approach, occasional 'gap years' to relive the pressure on the crew and actors, may be common in future years. Whilst less Doctor Who in some years seems like a bad thing, it may secure long term production.

*It has been claimed in some quarters that Chris Ecclestone wanted to do more serious actor stuff.
He's now playing Destro in the upcoming GI Joe movie.

Doctor Who Game Coming

Eidos has confirmed that it is preparing to announce a release date for a video game based on the long-running BBC series Doctor Who, according to gamer site videogaming247. Details on the game are still under wraps, but it is known that the company has the rights to the franchise and has been developing a game for the PC, PS2 and DS platforms.

A source told the site that work has started on the title and an announcement of a potential release date is forthcoming. Nothing else is known of the game thus far, the site said.

Eryx said:
I did download Time Lord last night and had a read but I thought it was awful. Far too basic for my tastes, sadly.

I've been using Timelord to run Dr Who adventures for several years now. I've found it handles the genre really well; it will handle UNIT games (and probably Torchwood :- I haven't written one for them yet). The rules are easy, intuitive and don't require constant lookups; but easily capture the 'feel' of the Whoniverse. I've written or adapted 17+ adventures and run about a dozen, all of which have been well- received.
One thing though - I've found the genre is better suited to episodic 'one-off' adventures played over 1-3 sessions, rather than a continuing campaign. It is possible for the PC's to get killed (quite often through overconfidence or belief in their "immunity"); if this happens (and it has) then the curtain comes down and the next session starts with new PC's

Back