Doctor Who/Torchwood

Ulkesh said:
Travire said:
Torchwood brings more possiblities to light as they mention on that there have been other Torchwood projects than the one in Cardiff. This may not be as universally popular as Dr Who but it allows a game with all the favourite heroes and villians to put in an appearance, while allowing players some freedom in character creation. It could even be Welsh if you like.

Yeah they mentioned about four but two are currently active while the others...well...won't say spoilers or anything here.

Isnt there other groups out there like UNIT and stuff? Quite a few factions really.

Well, by its very nature UNIT is a worldwide organisation, albeit one that seems dependent on the military of each individual host nation. I could imagine though that several countries would also have there own extra-terrestial investigation groups, there own versions of Torchwood. These could be either state or privately sponsored. Imagine an RPG where, as well as trying to protect the Earth from aliens, you also have to collect artefacts for your boss, Mr. Henry Van Statten!

I think maybe a Torchwood RPG would offer a lot more scope than a Dr Who RPG. Personally, I thought the last series of Dr Who was pants compared to the first one. Nothing wrong with David Tennant, I just thought some of the storylines were appalling.

The only real sinner was Fear Her, a replay of Idiot's Lantern and proof that most newsreaders can't act. Too much sentimantality piled on at the end too. "Keep 'em peeled, Lewis" and "edible ball bearings" were the only good bits. Love and Monsters was a good diviation caused by having to include a Christmas special in the normal schedule, but I hopw they don't need to do that again.

Spycraft might a good basis for a Torchwood or UNIT based game. My only experience with it was at a 'con but the covert operations element seems appropriate. Plus the equipment pick system good be used for alien gear.

Cheers
Mark

I'm sure UNIT will be explored in more detail. They've been really good at not leaving too many loose ends. What about an RPG based on the Sarah Jane Adventures? We could all be pre-teen neighbors. :D

Ideally a Who rpg system would be broad enough that it could be used to replicate Doctor Who, Torchwood, UNIT, and even the Sarah Jane Adventures, perhaps with appropiate supplements. Perhaps it could even be used for totally new ideas within the Whoniverse.
Now, what about 'Absolom Daak: Dalek Killer'...

So, to sum up the rpg needs to be....

A military game with players either being soldiers, scientists and girly assistants combatting an alien invasion (UNIT)

A investitagive game with players being operatives who track down (and use) alien gear while fighting off aliens. While having sex and swearing.
(Torchwood)

A time travel adventure game with a powerful main character and lesser support characters. (Doctor Who).

A investitagive game with players being children. (Sarah Jane Adventures). With a robot dog (K9 and Company, "more fun than a dog, cuter than a robot").

A sci-fi hackfest (Absolom Daak).

.....and most important, seemlessly merge all of the above into an unbroken single whole. Shouldn't be too hard.

Cheers
Mark

You know how subscribers to the Lone Wolf books will be getting a free Sommerswerd, and there'll be a Denn'Bokk with that Babylon 5 series. Well, buy the Doctor Who rpg, and you'll recieve a free, top of the line, wheelbarrow, so you can carry it home.

The version that no one can remeber was called Time Lord and was published by BBC books in the early to mid nineties, not long after the end of the series and probably aimed at the people buying the 'New Adventures' books. It is, sadly, too constricted and the character gen was a bit vague. Personally it could heve been done better and I'd like to have a look at the FASA version for comparison.

I remember that - a rpg in a paperback book. It was, technically speaking, rubbish. The FASA version must of been better even though I never owned it.

Cheers
Mark

I have both.

Timelord had a few nice ideas (skills like Capacious Pockets and Screaming) but on the whole it was over-simple and didn't really get into the problems of running a Doctor Who game. The scenario in the book was bogged down in minutia as well. It is currently availbale for free on the net, though.

FASA's game suffereed the other way. It is probably the only skill system that I know that involved Roman numerals (which was confusing). The combat system was needlessly overcomplicated (having been ported across from FASA's Star Trek). It did address how to set up a game - a Timelord PC with companions, working for the Celestial Intervention Agency - essentially wondering through time & space sorting out problems. It has some great scenarios and a few reasonable supplements.

Any new Doctor Who game should aim for somewhere between the two.

No idea if it was dropped for Dr Who, but Spycraft 2.0 could work pretty well. Torchwood would probably be more suited for the system, but I figure that Conspiracy X (original and Unisystem-version) could work also, and not require that much modding. Hell, Angel would work also; they've both got whiny immortals for a start...

Spycraft would suit the torchwood/UNIT type stories. A modern CoC might be better for Sarah Jane. For Doctor Who itself - Who knows? :D

Cheers
Mark

CoC also works perfectly for the Pertwee era :)

A modified set of RQ rules would fit pretty darned well.

I should of course also mention OGL Horror.

Back