Cults of Glorantha Errata REALLY NEEDED

Voriof said:
...and a point of POW that he can use once before going back to the temple. Which is, frankly, a pretty steep price for the benefit. I'm half-convinced there should be a way to expand that POW pool for priests and the like through expenditure of HP.

I have written a ruleset for this (basically, you use your pool for your cult Divine Magic and Dedicated POW for associate cult Divine Magic). It has been submitted to S&P but it has not appeared yet.

At this point, if Chris Longhurst has not planned to publish it in a [very] short time, it is better to put it on the Wiki. Hello, Chris, what should I do? :wink:

zozotroll said:
My only big complaint about CoG2 is the Crsh spell. It used to be veery cool. Now it is no more powerful than bludgeon, it is not reusable, and you have to go back to the temple and pay and pray to get it back. Bludgeon is much superior, and I just dont get why that happened.

I'm starting to think that Mongoose really wants to push rune magic and runes as the prestige mechanic that sets MRQ apart from all others. I can see no other reason why they have refused to even acknowledge needing a physical rune to cast what used to be battle magic is completely wrong.

Sorry it is.

Runes don't work not just for Glorantha but also for the Million Spheres, Conan, Alternative Earth, lankhmar and every other game world that has a realistic social ecology.

It's not a bad idea, per se (stop laughing Obelix), I am using them alongside, truestones, crystals, etc, it's just not central like Mongoose seem to want it to be. Initiates should have access to small, reusable charms (ie, battle magic, ie rune magic) that are related to their cult and culture. If they want to use powers that are mostly unknown to their culture then they can quest for whatever runes they fancy. I know I don't like to compromise on a self contained idea but compromise is needed to be fair to the fans.

They really remind me of Magic The Gathering, you know, tap a metal and an air to get the latest funky effect. And I used to like MTG.

I'm going to write something for my website about getting around these problems. There are the odd phrases in COG2 and Glorantha 2nd Age that can be exploited as well as some house rules suggested here.

Rurik said:
(Humakti gaining access to Resurrection :shock: )

THat;s just so wrong.

No Gloranthaphile wrote that change. That HAD to be from someone with no knowledge of the setting going-"all the other gods get resurrection, we got to have game balance."

atgxtg said:
Rurik said:
(Humakti gaining access to Resurrection :shock: )

THat;s just so wrong.

No Gloranthaphile wrote that change. That HAD to be from someone with no knowledge of the setting going-"all the other gods get resurrection, we got to have game balance."

I don't think the Humakti Ressurection thing was an intentional act. In the core they tied Divine Magic to gods by Type. A Death God gets access to Resurection (as does a Fertility and Sun gods). Fine for the 'Generic' cults in the Companion and as a model for moving forward in a new setting.

But when they then applied that model to the Cults in CoG, Humakt is a Death and War god, and so gets Resurrect by that association. Clearly I'm not allowing that in any of my games, but there really should be something official on the matter.

(Sever Spirit on the other hand, was specifically stated as being cut because it was too powerful - though they seemed fit to add Skybolt and Hand of Death, which are both pretty close to autokills and are Rune magic).

I think giving death Gods ressurection might not have been the best way to go in the first place. Not just for Humakt, but in most myths Deathe god either can't do it, or are very reluctant to. None seem to give it out to priests.

They should have gotten some sort of Death magic.

Considering Skybolt and Hand of Death, some osort of slaying magic seems to be within the game balance concept. A ranged version of Hand of Death wouldn't be too far from the mark.

atgxtg said:
I think giving death Gods ressurection might not have been the best way to go in the first place.

I agree with you entirely there, and that would fix the problem with Humakt as well.

I was just kinda pointing out that no one actually said "Hey, let's give Humakt Resurrect!" - it just kinda worked out that way as the generic cult format from the Companion got applied to CoG1.

Back