State of the Mongoose 2019

Pinetree

Mongoose
Really looking forward to the 2300AD box set. Is it going to be self-contained or will it still require the Traveller Core Rulebook?
 

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
We considered self-contained, but we can (obviously) pack a lot more 2300AD goodness in if we keep the core rules out.
 

TrippyHippy

Cosmic Mongoose
Conversely, though it means that whoever buys 2300AD will also have to buy the Traveller core rules too.

My issue with this is that you have to refer to separate books for rules, while a lot of the material in the Traveller core rules is superfluous/different to a 2300AD game.

We’ll see how it is though, and I am looking forward to it regardless.
 

Vile

Banded Mongoose
MongooseMatt said:
State of the Mongoose 2019

Legend
Every year we talk about Legend, and every year we lack the resources to do it justice. I regret to say that 2020 will be no different in this regard – we simply have too much going on to give it anything more than a cursory glance. There are further issues too…

There have been quite a few changes in the D100 RPG market over the past year. Legend certainly still has a place, especially if it retains its Open nature (no plans to change anything there), but looking at things objectively, it could really use a) a second edition to tighten things up – it feels a little too ‘clunky’ for my liking – and b) its own setting.

This all provides food for thought, but I am afraid we will be unlikely to dine on this one in 2020.
There have certainly been some changes in the D100 market recently (in the last week even) but IMO these are all good news for Legend. More and more users are leveraging the Legend OGL for their D100 content, so I at least think there may be a resurgence on the cards.

In what way do you think it's 'clunky', though? I and most people I've discussed it with seem to think it's a pretty tight core. If you do go for a second edition I hope you stay with the current OGL concept because it's by far the most user-friendly SRD and logo licence out there.

As for a setting - any thoughts on that, whether licences or original? I've always felt that settings and rules are better off in separate books. Firstly I mostly want to refer to the rules at the table, not the setting, so that's just extra weight. Secondly, no setting in the rulebook means every setting is created equal - something I think the RuneQuest brand suffered from but Mythras demonstrably does not.
 

Vile

Banded Mongoose
Ursus Maior said:
AndrewW said:
Bifford said:
You talk about the website etc. Can we get the ability to use avatars on the forum please. It's deadly dull with everyone having ? images and no ability to have avatars.
Never had any use for them on a forum myself, but know some like them.
It sure makes identifying authors easier. So, it's not strictly necessary, but in my opinion useful.
I'd certainly like to see them back.
 

Baldo

Banded Mongoose
MongooseMatt said:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990654819/traveller-rpg-the-deepnight-revelation-campaign-box-set/posts/2802765
I have begun work on re-working and revising the Secrets of the Ancients campaign to the specs of the latest edition. No idea where we can fit this into the release schedule at the current time, but we have increased our capacity to lay books out, so it is likely that it will only be art that creates a bottleneck for this one. In any case, I would hope to have it released this year!

I had hoped for a POD edition, but this is *MUCH* better, thank you :D .
And if you re-work/revise Chapter 5, please decide what happens if paranoid players board Star Hunter and flee from the Ancient ship the instant it crosses the portal in 1. Disembarkation (page 92 - Done that, reached the orbit of the abandoned planet, contacted one of the custodians by radio, got jump coordinates for Grandfather's realm, and skipped 99% of Chapter 5 in the process :lol: :p ).
 

Randalthor66

Mongoose
Pinetree said:
Really looking forward to the 2300AD box set. Is it going to be self-contained or will it still require the Traveller Core Rulebook?
Has this been done? I don't see it on the site. I am looking for the 2300 being updated to the 2nd edition, particularly CharGen and ShipBuild. Is this being done?
 

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Randalthor66 said:
Has this been done? I don't see it on the site. I am looking for the 2300 being updated to the 2nd edition, particularly CharGen and ShipBuild. Is this being done?

It has been written, playtested, and edited, and is now just waiting for layout which should be taking place a little later this year. As things stand, the PDF edition should be about before Christmas with the box set following early next year!
 

Randalthor66

Mongoose
MongooseMatt said:
It has been written, playtested, and edited, and is now just waiting for layout which should be taking place a little later this year. As things stand, the PDF edition should be about before Christmas with the box set following early next year!
Yippie!
 

Tay

Banded Mongoose
MongooseMatt said:
Randalthor66 said:
Has this been done? I don't see it on the site. I am looking for the 2300 being updated to the 2nd edition, particularly CharGen and ShipBuild. Is this being done?

It has been written, playtested, and edited, and is now just waiting for layout which should be taking place a little later this year. As things stand, the PDF edition should be about before Christmas with the box set following early next year!

Any chance you could confirm if it needs Traveller Core Book to play or if its self contained. Also, what is likely to be in the Boxset.

Plus, is the new 2300 a revision of the older editions or are we likely to get new books with completly new content?

Cheers
 

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
We will go through the box contents a little closer to release date, but it is all new content and will need the Traveller Core Rulebook!
 

enpeze2

Mongoose
Matt, do you intend to remake the 5th FW boardgame too? It could be an excellent story resource if the GM and the players play it parallel to the new rpg campaign. Additionally my original is falling apart :)
 

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
enpeze2 said:
Matt, do you intend to remake the 5th FW boardgame too? It could be an excellent story resource if the GM and the players play it parallel to the new rpg campaign. Additionally my original is falling apart :)

This has indeed been discussed, but no solid plans as yet!
 
Top