Conan and the Shadow of the sorcerer boxed set

Do you want the release of Conan and the shadow of the sorcerer boxed set?

• Yes, immediately - I waited all this year for it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, probably

• I Don't know

• No

• Total voters
Mongoose already shown us that they read these forums and were prepared to hear the fans.
Most of the work is done so there is no reason the project should be erased.

The King said:
Mongoose already shown us that they read these forums and were prepared to hear the fans.

thats my feeling and hope old boy :D

The King said:

It would be cool, but on the other hand: why should say "No, it is cancelled." (as they did), if the "only" thing to do is to print and sell it to avid customers?

VincentDarlage said:
But I generally don't use modules, myself. I have always made up my own adventures, so it is probably just me having a different mindset.

sigh...how often have I (we) said that some of us are late 30 something and don't have time to create!?? Even the 'adventures' you did were so loosely attached I couldn't use them. I work 9 hours per day, add 2 hours per day in the car and the father/husband/coach stuff I do and I don't have time to be 'creating' adventures all the time. This cavelier attitude mongoose has that 'adventures' aren't really that good seems misplaced. Yes, we've covered that the return is lower. Yes, I know this is a business...but we've said create the pdf and we'd buy it...but that isn't even done. I respect you Vincent, and your knowledge of Conan's world seems no bounds, but please respect that there are different profiles of customers out there. If you have any pull with mongoose - please tell them that sourcebooks are fine, but it's important to have something to use them with.

mongoose - publish this

Moreover I don't think a RPG can live on sourcebooks alone. AD&D had much success because they mixted both adventures and gaming aids and as a proof it is easy to take into consideration how many AD&D (or D&D) adventures are collectors and still thought-after items.

conan has got adventures little ones but of great quality it needs a epic but it is not unsupported and mongoose has always published adventures 8)

Strom said:
A worthy cause King. Kudos!

let's hope it works... 8)
Thanks Strom; I have faith in this.
Perhaps we'll get a reply from Mongoose when we have 100 answers to the poll.
But I believe they should also take into consideration that for now more than 64% of the Conan fans would be prepared to purchase this campaign.
a good result for a democratic vote. :D

I will chime in and say I'd love to see a campaign or three published for this game.

Campaigns are appealing to me because, among other things, they often show off various aspects of the game they're for, most notably how characters evolve with experience and the challenges that rise to meet them while they accrue that experience.

Adventures in general make for good examples of what the game designers intended the game the adventures are for to be. They help spark ideas for the inidividual gamemaster's own work, and help relieve some of the workload for those who don't want to make adventures whole cloth.

They can provide a common experience for players of the game, which helps build a sense of community - you often see on D&D internet message boards long discussion comparing and contrasting individual experiences in running or playing, say, the Giants series of modules, or the Tomb of Horrors, or etc.

As a DM/GM, I find a lot less use for multiple setting sourcebooks than I do for adventures. In the case of the Conan RPG, while I totally dig the outstanding work done on the various sourcebooks for Hyboria, I find that I don't need that level of detail for my campaign - that's the part I like to devise for myself. Road of Kings I find to be essential, as it gives a great overview of Hyboria in general, and is one of my favorite setting sourcebooks for any RPG. However, below that level of detail, I like doing the work myself. I guess one could argue that adventures would be at that level, but I find it easier and more enjoyable to come up with the details (such as they are) for a section of a kingdom than for an actual adventure. I think it's because adventures are finite and (generally) not reusable, while a region remains more or less static (except when things get really hairy, like when some barbarian or other seizes the throne). Thus, my work on the campaign world remains, while the adventures I write come and go. Extremely detailed premade campaign worlds lose their appeal for me fairly quickly, I'm afraid. They make me, as a GM, feel restricted and constrained if I wish to abide by "canon," and render large parts of what has been written already obsolete - and, essentially, a waste of money - if I don't wish to follow "canon."

Don't get me wrong; I've gamed for 25+ years, and in that time most of the adventures I've run have been written by me. But when it comes right down to it, I really like having premade adventures. I'm essentially lazy. Sure, I might have to do some prep work on them, but not nearly as much as writing an entire adventure.

Just my own, personal feelings on the matter.

I like campaigns becasue they help provide an overall guiding direction for characters. I like the ideas that characters have a larger meta plot. In effect they have a long range goal and to acheive. I like the idea that characters should have a fate or a destiny. The only reason I bought two of the Conan books recently was to be in a better positon to run the campaign. I was really looking forward to it for what that's worth.

I usually strip campaigns/adventures for characters, setting and plot idea rather than run them straight so whether the info is in standalone adventures or campaigns doesn't matter much to me. It seem that Mongoose would likely find it easier to do as the TSR once did- rather than putting campaigns in boxed sets publish them as stand alone linked adventures. Such adventures were designated with a Letter/Number [D1, T3, etc.] system to let roleplayer know what series toe adventure was in and what sequence it should be played in. My own adventures are designated as the HC ["Hyborian Chronicles"] adventures, although I've never organized them as anything but notes so far, but who knows how bored I'll get this winter.....8)

This would make a second campaign then. Yes I remember the G1-G3 series, with the D1-D3 and Q1 sequels.
Or even the A1-A4 campaign against the slavelords (BTW this could fit in the Conan world with few adjustments).
Or of course the great DL1-DL14 Dragonlance series.

It seems however that great campaigns are now proposed in big books like Gary Gygax's Necropolis (for D20).

In fact I don't care about the finished product as long as it is published (though I would prefer a boxed set for user-friendly reasons).

Hmm, then why not release Shadow of the Sorceror like that? If it was to be split into, say, 3 books for the actual campaign, and have all the information you need to play the first part of the campaign in one book?

If (or when ;) ) it sells well, Mongoose know there is money to be made there, and release the others.

Something akin to the Enemy Within Campaign, for WFRP.

What do other people think? What does Jasonn think?

Hey all -

Thanks for the continued interest in the product. I came back to check on things, and am amazed to see the positive response here.

However, I've been led to believe that as far as Mongoose is concerned, cancelled is cancelled. As noted in my previous post:

Jason Durall said:
... I inquired if Mongoose would be interested in printing it in an alternate format than the boxed set, they said no.

I told them I was going to finish it anyway, but was told that Mongoose has no interest in publishing it in any form.
So there you go.

Jason

Back