Abandon Ship

What Are Your Feelings On Your SST Collection?

• I don't plan on getting rid of anything, in fact I'm buying more!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't plan on getting rid of anything, but I'm going to wait for the new stuff.

• I'm getting rid of my excess, ready for next April!

• I'm selling up, I don't know if I will carry on with SST . . . . .

• Total voters
Well you're not the only person who's said that, but to be honest I think any new system takes a while to roll up ther character, Stormbringer was quite extensive for instance when I tried it.
Once you've worked out what you can get for you're points its suprisingly quick, and the rules fit a wide range of playing styles be it cinematic or gritty, dark or humourous etc.
And for the GM its so incredibly easy, NPC are quickly and easily defined by a few personal quirks and advantages or disadvantes, slap on average stats and a name and you're away (Or just get/write a program to churn out entirly random characters lol).
Plus 3D6 is a big selling point for people scared off by funny dice.

Still I think you have inadvertantly come round to my way of thinking. You don't like Gurps thats cool, but just imagine for a secound that 2 out of every 3 RPG's ran on GURPS! Thats exactly how I feel about D20 :D

I never did find out. I know some of the artists though....but hurting them won't help matters...especially when it comes down to Magic releasing a new edition of cards every three or so months.

Hiromoon said:
I never did find out. I know some of the artists though....but hurting them won't help matters...especially when it comes down to Magic releasing a new edition of cards every three or so months.

You're right. The only thing we can do is find the factory that produces them and blow it up.

Major Chaos said:
ScipioAmericanus said:
derek said:
G'Day

While my reaction may not be as extreme as say Scipio's (hey I paid money for those miniatures, I'm keeping them ;) ) I have to say I am dissapointed.

It's not the prepainted miniatures, it's not the 8 month wait for the release of SST:Evo, It's not turning up at the LGS to answer the question "Is Mongoose quitting on SST?" (something the guy running store shouldn't have to ask me). It's not even the Skinnie debacle (hey I was concentrating on the MI and the Bugs so I avoided that) nor was it the dropships dissappearing into the never never.

What dissapointed me was that when the decision was made to re-do SST into SST:Evo we weren't told from the get go. Had I been told that within Twelve months there would be a new rule book and new army book(s) I would have spent my money differently. Instead of spending money on army books with a 'life expectancy' that now makes a WH40K codex look long lived. I would have brought the other two tanker bugs and hopper bugs my son wants to slaughter me with and made do with the lists in the back of the rulebook.

I don't mind spending money on new rules but I do mind spending money on something that's already out of date.

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek!

In a word (or phrase): Flames of War.

The new rules look sweet for that as well. Don't forget Hordes as it is also a class act!

Hi Derek,

Funny you should mention Hordes! I just got my shipment from the War Store today with my DAK starter box for FoW and the Hordes hardback and templates from GF9!!! Now...I just need to decide on what faction I'm gonna go with. You're right: both rule sets are very, very sweet. And...Festung Europa comes out in a couple months (Late War book). I cannot WAIT to have my beloved 82nd jump into Normandy and Holland!

Games&Theory said:
...Me, the champion of SST, who had been pumping my own dollars into product (to keep them in business, I thought as I did it) and trying to drum up support on the local level has been thanked with the sudden realization that I had been actually paying to support the betatest period of a new and different product and that there was suddenly the very likely prospect that a good bit of the work I'd done to get more people into the HOBBY will be eroded by yet more pre-painted plastic crack being pushed.

Yells at ya G&T!

You definitely hit a nerve and told MY story too, bro! I couldn't have summed up my feelings any better.

Some of the newer forum members probably do not understand something: those of us that were with the game from the start have (or had) a HUGE personal stake in it. In my case, I was lucky enough to be included in 4 SST publications (Pathfinders, Roughnecks, MI Army Book, and MI Field Manual for the RPG). I have lost count of the literally HUNDREDS of hours I have worked on stuff for SST, and that does not include any work on my own minis, doing demos, promoting, promoting, promoting, etc. I too have spent thousands of $ on SST.

And yes, to answer an earlier post, I do indeed like cheese with my wine. Usually I prefer either Gouda or Edam, and my wine preferences are either a Yellowtail Shiraz or a Chilean Malbech (Reserve).

Regards.

MaxSteiner said:
Even Cthulhus got D20 forced onto these days

I dislike the D20 system with a passion, they took something that worked (with some tweaks to taste) and turned it into something that didnt.

MaxSteiner said:
I didn't know shadowrun was still kicking about though thats good to hear!(Whys the 4th edition crap by the way?).

They changed the bits of Shadowrun that worked, and kept the bits that didn't - simple!

I'm in the wait and see mode.
Though the Battlefield Evolution looks interesting, I want to see a figure.

If the Game, the Demo program, and the Rules are an improvement from the old, then I don't really see an issue,
However....

I do see an awful lot of fanboy antics. I was never a fan of the skinnies, and if they can be salvaged good, but I won't be holding my breath.
My questions to matt were answered, and If the BFevolution game plays well, I know alot of new players to be converted to the cause... hehehe.

To see you guys going on about "If your not with us, your against us..." is crap, though, and I remember being fully stoked about SST when it WAS a new game. I remember the beginning stumbles, and I REMEMBER THE SKINNIES.

You fanboys don't have a leg to stand on, and to see you go to name calling when people voice a different opinion is almost comical. What makes you so right, anyway? Don't you think a little conversation about the game is warrented, or are you going to go all GW on us and try to oversell it at every turn? I think you might just find that if you'd go at your argument with a little more common sense conversation, you might not only get a coherent thought across, but you might have a conversation worth having. Lets see a figure, then you can pump hot air up my fourth point of contact and outsell me at every turn.
Does it have to be next year, though? Why not a Christmas or Holloween tease for us, like a fig, or a scenario or something? A writeup for an M1, or a Tiger maybe?
A year is a long time, and my LGS has written off Mongoose, even though I haven't. Do you blame them, there have been alot of stutter steps, and in business thats $$$ wasted, and sales not made.
I will continue to paint up my stuff, wait and try the new rules. They either work or they don't. Sorry to be so blunt, but why should one blindly follow something that doesn't work?
I think the new improved version might do the trick, seeing the beef people had with the Bugs, the Skinnies, etc. but i have faith that the bugs are worked out,( pun intended) and the new direction might be good for the game, Mongoose, and us. I love the MI, the bugs, and am an absolute fan of the show.
I still say Mongoose should squirrel away for the last three CGI episodes.

I think you are hysterically funny gorkamorka.

If you go through the various threads relatrd to EVO both Battlefield and SST I have been saying since the first or second day after the Announcement that everryone should calm down and save both criticism and rejoicing until we see actual figures and rules.

Argueing over what may or may not happen or appear is a waste of time and effort and simply very devisive, if we really want this gaming community to survive.

I have carefully avoided calling anyone names, except myself. I did call myself a FANBOY once, perhaps not in the same way you meant.

The reason I think you are funny is I really believe now that a lot of the posters are posting simply so they can argue.

Once in a great while some worthwhile discussion is occurring, but most of this bickering would have driven me away from this Forum during my first month or so here.

Who knows perhaps your post will have a positive effect.

I personally say to bleep with it, everyone argue up a storm and alienate as many people as you can WTH. :!: :!: :!:

You know, I'm wracking my brains to find out exactly where anyone from Mongoose said that the original release of SST was more or less a public Beta...

I dislike the D20 system with a passion, they took something that worked (with some tweaks to taste) and turned it into something that didnt.

Really? Man, I'm quite fond of the D20 version of CoC...it's probably because I've got an amazing GM so I don't notice the changes! With the group I play in, believe it or not, we rarely use dice rolling as the vast majority of it is investigation (with a light bit of breaking and entering and/or intimidation), chat between the players and NPCs and "OH MY GOD WHAT THE F**K IS THAT?" descriptions (Cue sanity roll). The combat system is too unforgiving to even think about fighting anything...so we avoid it.

teamescape said:

Really? Man, I'm quite fond of the D20 version of CoC...it's probably because I've got an amazing GM so I don't notice the changes! With the group I play in, believe it or not, we rarely use dice rolling as the vast majority of it is investigation (with a light bit of breaking and entering and/or intimidation), chat between the players and NPCs and "OH MY GOD WHAT THE F**K IS THAT?" descriptions (Cue sanity roll). The combat system is too unforgiving to even think about fighting anything...so we avoid it.

Take a look at the D20 sanity rules then take a look at the original, trust me it's a bit of a stretch :) Magic rules took a hit too... Its ok, but whats the point of taking arguable the secound most popular RPG rules on the planet and then shoew horning it into D20?

Hiromoon said:
I didn't play the old version of CoC, but I didn't mind the D20 CoC at all...

Most of the people I know that liked CoC hated the d20 version. Most of the people I know that had never played CoC until the d20 version had no problems with it :) Back in my d20 evangelist days (two years ago), I was all for d20 in everything *but* CoC (the only game that I felt at the time had a better ruleset than d20).

Of course, the hope for d20 was that once people picked it up they'd gravitate towards other d20 games whenever they had the choice, and that those customers who didn't like d20 would eventually "die out". It worked to a degree - Most of the RPGers I know are now "d20 converts", but the sheer glut of d20 material has had the unexpected effect of driving quite a few people away from it, when it was at first expected that there couldn't be such a thing as "too much d20 material".

Back