Abandon Ship

What Are Your Feelings On Your SST Collection?

• I don't plan on getting rid of anything, in fact I'm buying more!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't plan on getting rid of anything, but I'm going to wait for the new stuff.

• I'm getting rid of my excess, ready for next April!

• I'm selling up, I don't know if I will carry on with SST . . . . .

• Total voters
Maybe this was stated before, but I didnt' really care to read through 12 pages. However, a big problem I see with this thread is that the people that are dumping the game are most likely not going to be the people coming onto the boards (or back onto them) after the announcment. I just see this thread as a bunch of diehards trying to keep each other motivated until the new version comes out. As for me...I only invested $100 on the game from E-bay purchases, and now I have no urge to buy more. However, I'm hoping that Battlefield game is good.

CudaHP said:
Their stated intention is to support all the older figures and units by furnishing "free" downloadable stats to allow their full use in the newer revised system.

The "Streamlining" you mentioned is supposed to primarily fix rules that were regarded as creating problems or confusion in the current rule set.

They are in fact going to be adding additional things to the rules such as "Suppression Fire".

If the pre-painted figs match the production photos shown thus far they should be very nice (Ihope, I hope).

All of the currently available figures are supposed to continue to be available for a long time.

There are production photos?! Where?! As far as the streamlining goes, if what you say is true why bother to support the old game? It sounds like evo will include all that is loved about the game plus more to get your teeth/talons/spiky bits (delete as appropriate) into. If what you're telling me is that Mongoose will continue to support the game just to keep the diehards happy then I applaud their business ethic and would recommend that a certain other wargame company sit up and take notes :wink:

The real question is this, how different are the new prepainted MI/Bugs/Skinnies from the old minis? (ooh I'm a poet etc etc) Are they going to look as ridiculous as, for example, a Rogue Trader Space Marine next to a current one? Also, what about the current armybooks, of which I have two-MI/Bugs, will they be obsolete? I only just bought them at £15 a book! I was going to buy the hardback copy of the rulebook but now this seems somewhat foolish.

Mongoose, if any of you read this post please do pop on to answer these questions and try to allay at least some of these concerns. Let me be clear, I love what I've seen of this game and this company but I've just walked in on the ground floor to find that the building is far from complete.

And one other thing, this post is not just about die hards giving one another pep talks! I've yet to play a game (though I've read the rules thoroughly), I've only got one squad of MI built+16 warrior bugs and I've only had the game for a couple of weeks, hardly a frothing ape! This post, at least to me, is about players old and new discussing concerns about a great game that's going through some changes and where they stand. Some might feel that it's time to hang up the Marauder suit for a couple of years until the game becomes more established, some will vote to ride it out and some will decide that computer games are more fun anyway :D

Mongoose, some clarity please? *much grovelling*

Phil

Cuda, some of your statements confuse me (don't take offense, confusing
me isn't realy that hard :oops:).

You say that MGP will have free downloadable stats for their "old" figs. so that they can be used w/the new system. My understanding was that everything we have now would already be fully compatable (including books) w/the new system, and that the rules changes were realy only going to be minor tweaks and clarifications. If what you say about the downloadable stats is true, then that would seem to imply MUCH bigger changes than were initially indicated. :? Did I miss something? Also, who said they were going to add supression fire?

Matt's mentioned two of the major changes as supression and reactions to fire.

Also, there won't be downloadable stats for the old minis - they'll be covered in the SST:Evo rulebook when it comes out. There will be downloadable stats for any new minis for the old system. Presumably the stats on some units will be tweaked to represent the changes in the system - if bugs don't take any supression but MI and skinnies do, you may see an increase in bug points or stats, or a decrease in MI/skinnie stats accordingly, for example.

as to why provide stats for the old system? Well why not? if someone loves the old system but dislikes the changes, this keeps them buying the minis.

Thanks for clearing the downloadable stats thing up Lorcan! It makes a lot more sense now! A sound idea too IMO.

yeah, and it's a reason why I actually like supporting mongoose - they do their damndest to make sure all potential players are satisfied. Their hearts are most certainly in the right place.

Phil73805 said:
There are production photos?! Where?!
Phil, the only production photos most of us have seen were posted by Matt Sprange when he first announced the changes here.

Phil73805 said:
Mongoose, if any of you read this post please do pop on to answer these questions and try to allay at least some of these concerns.
Matt answers a lot of questions, and allays many fears, in the first few pages of the above linked thread. :wink:

I'll field what I can of Phil's comments and tell him about as much as Sprange would want me to say...

1) How are pre-painted models going to look?

There are pics with the BF:Evo pics, go look for yourself

2) Will books become obselete?

Most likely. With a new system this tends to happen, although, I don't see why this is a bad thing. Which would you rather have, a system that releases a new edition of the game, and then doesn't rebalance ANYTHING until months or YEARS later and just hopes that its players make due with the slightly unbalanced armies (like 40k) or a system that actually takes the time to rebalance the entire game INCLUDING all the armies (like MGP is doing to keep everything balanced from the very beginning)?

I have a dozen obselete 40k books and units. It happens. Sure it happened a bit sooner in SST, but because they are looking at everything so closely now, they'll create a much better game that should last for years to come. Also... all of my 40k stuff that is now obselete is worth at least double what I paid for it now... think of it like that...

Any more questions?

Voracioustigger said:
2) Will books become obselete?

Most likely. With a new system this tends to happen, although, I don't see why this is a bad thing. Which would you rather have, a system that releases a new edition of the game, and then doesn't rebalance ANYTHING until months or YEARS later and just hopes that its players make due with the slightly unbalanced armies

Frankly, yes. Can you not just issue a sheet of errata that clarifies everything?

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

That would be what is currently called the Players Guide Chris

A starter set of Evo rules will be included in each new unit box set. First box you buy you gottem plus the specific unit stats.

New rulebook intro three months after box sets start issue, All stats for all four current armies.

CudaHP said:
That would be what is currently called the Players Guide Chris

A starter set of Evo rules will be included in each new unit box set. First box you buy you gottem plus the specific unit stats.

New rulebook intro three months after box sets start issue, All stats for all four current armies.

Well that sounds alright, but it assumes I'll be buying the new prepainted stuff. Anychance of getting a cut-down rulebook as a PDF, a la Warmachine?

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

There's been talk of the BF Evo rulesheet appearing in S&P - which ought to be mostly similar to the SST one (and who knows, maybe that will go in later if the BF Evo one goes down well). I'd guess the main rulebook would be published as a PDF.

Well then, I just read through the linked post and I have no more questions. The prepaints look phenomenal, because I have MI (power suits) ready I can play them before the prepaints are even released and the game is set to be even better! What more could I possibly ask for?! If only someone had posted that link to begin with :D I'd have been a happy camper :lol:

I just bought the Tanker Bug and some other assorted minis to expand but I'll be limiting my purchases. My real army will take shape when the prepaints come, the stuff I'm painting now is to keep me playing until April :D

Have to say though I'm somewhat disturbed at the thought of painting minis becoming a dying skill......

Phil

It will only die for those who elect to never paint.

I know far to many players that do not paint their figures even without the prepaints. With luck at least more armies will be fielded with paint on the figs even if not their own paint jobs.

Back