Z'takk , bases and Broken promises.

Casting a hole leaves too much variability. This will result in some posts fitting loosely and some not fitting at all. Only having the end customer drill them would ensure a nice consistent snug fit. Having at least a dimple to aid in locating and starting a drill hole is much appreciated (especially if it's located on the model's center of gravity).

However, I wish Mongoose would improve their flight stands. There does appear to be some variablility in the diameter of the posts at both ends. I find some fit into the bases very loosely and require gluing and others are too tight. Furthermore the small bases are just too small, especially for the tall posts, resulting in very tippy models.

I've replaced all mine with GW flight stands. I find the posts are very consistent in dimension and fit and like the size of the bases.

I recently ordered a 3rd age box set. After recieving it I noticed that they sent the original set (sigh). Needless to say the issue is in the process of being corrected, but I did notice that the Omega's were poorly cast. "Old molds" I said to myself. Then I picked up my Nova, and the flash was almost none exsistant, the details were actually details and not a mushed blob. Nova's obviously got a new mold.

Good to hear about the Nova.

I picked up an Omega Command Cruiser and found the front hull section nearly filled in as it looks like it was cast from an old worn out mold. The grav deck, from the Posiedon, showed some similar cases where metal had filled in the details on the fore and aft sections. Those took some work to carve out. Still not up to what I'd call good quailty.

CmdrKiley said:
However, I wish Mongoose would improve their flight stands. There does appear to be some variablility in the diameter of the posts at both ends. I find some fit into the bases very loosely and require gluing and others are too tight. Furthermore the small bases are just too small, especially for the tall posts, resulting in very tippy models.

Not to ask a dumb question. . . but might you be mixing them up with GW flying bases? I ask, as I have done this, and the two are slightly different in diameter. . .

Oh I've done that. There is a definite fit issue between GW and Mongoose parts. From now on, I try to keep them seperated or modify/glue them if I wish to mix them.

However, my problem has been with Mongoose stems to Mongoose bases.

Also I drilled holes in my models and found some Mongoose stems fit snuggly and others did not in the same hole. I find if I stay with GW stems they are more consistent.

CmdrKiley said:

Ah, with you - you should need some pressure to insert the stems into the bases. Ideally, you should hear a little click as it is driven home.

Anyone else having problems here, or is this an isolated case?

msprange said:
CmdrKiley said:

Ah, with you - you should need some pressure to insert the stems into the bases. Ideally, you should hear a little click as it is driven home.

Anyone else having problems here, or is this an isolated case?

I have a mixed bag so to speak, some need rather too much pressure to get the stem in the base, others are loose, nothign a drop of superglue doesn't fix though. Definately need more metal stems around though ;-)

For what it's worth...

I've never had any success with plastic flying bases in any game. They have always been too fragile for me. I make use of brass stems and drilling and gluing. It's another step, but with a little effort I have a much better model, easier to transport (since they can come off the bases) and big ships don't snap off during play.

Its not just the holes on these models that suck.

I'm new to the game and I recently picked up an Omega Command and an Omega Heavy Destroyer. They are two of the worst "professionaly" models I have ever seen and I've been in this hobby for almost 30 years. Its shockingly bad.

I know this is old news to many of you, but like I said I'm new to the game and just wanted to rant for a bit before I send my proper complaint direct to Mongoose.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

The Omegas are atrocious. One of the coolest ships in the series is now one of the worst models in the game.

FIX THE OMEGA!

Target said:
Target said:
On slightly seperate issue, how long has there been a official base size chart?
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/ctashipbases.pdf
I answer this one myself, before Armagedon as those ships aren't in the list. Might need updated

It predates SFOS, the file creation date on my harddrive is 11th August 2005 if that helps

LBH

The Omega is also probably the worst mould for exactly that reason...
Its one of the most popular ships and thus the mould is the most overworked...

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be sorting it out of course.

Nick

the omega aint that bad. Its he first B5 model i ever made and i dont think that it looks that bad. Sure you may want to use a little model putty for a bit more detail but it isnt as bad as everyones making it out to be. Besides, dont forget that its damm hard for mongoose to make them exactly like they were in the show.

I discovered Babylon 5 about 6 months ago at the club I had just moved to.

In principle it is a great game, but a bit like the early GW stuff - some of the rules are bit raw, the balance is not perfect and the are sometimes poorly moulded, and the checking of what goes in the fleet boxes is clearly done on a Saturday night after a good session down the pub.........

But........much as there have been moments where I would like to tell them where to put a Sharlin.... this is a really good game. It is easy to pick up. It can be played by all ages at the club (my ten year old son has a big earth alliance fleet and loves it)

At some stage, everyone working with white metal figures or kits needs to :

Get a modelling drill (look out for them at DIY stores in sales) - drill bits, burrs etc are all useful for shaping the bits before assembly

Understand drilling and pinning techniques (drill a hole glue in a bit of wire leaving a bit sticking out. Drill a hole in the other piece, and then glue the whole thing together with the projecting wire in the second hole).

Use 2 part epoxy glue - much better than superglue for sticking metals

Mongoose are bit like an early GW. They need to get a bit more polished, but hopefull the next edition of rules and models will go some way towards this.

Joe_Dracos said:
Then I picked up my Nova, and the flash was almost none exsistant, the details were actually details and not a mushed blob. Nova's obviously got a new mold.
Would you be willing to post a pic of the new Nova? I'm curious to see the recast...

Raxonika said:
IUnderstand drilling and pinning techniques (drill a hole glue in a bit of wire leaving a bit sticking out. Drill a hole in the other piece, and then glue the whole thing together with the projecting wire in the second hole).

Use 2 part epoxy glue - much better than superglue for sticking metals

Always good tips, but doesnt solve the problem that the entire front end is squashed inwards. It looks like its just rammed something. I dont think I can fix that with a pin vice or epoxy glue!

:evil:

wellllllllllll I am waiting for my B5 fleet to come in and the rules. so I play Battlefleet Gothic to and warhammer 40k and warhammer fantasy. the bases for the ships in BFG have all fit well enough and are good. how ever you could just get some magnets and glue em to the stand and the ship. I don't think no matter what you do the stands are never always going to fit. even in bfg some ships just are to unbalaned to sit on a stand properly. and my necrons the destroyers fit there stands good as well but some are a little lose and the modle will come off if you bump it. I guess all im saying no matter how big or small the company is and what they do with the molds and stuff I don't think they can ever make it to where they will sit perfectly on the stand. so you just might have to raise your hand and do a little 30sec work on the model to put a magnet on it and it will sit there just fine. How every a model that is totally smashed and looks like poop should not be acceptable. but give MG a break there getting new molds from what i understand and as there popularity grows the models will get better so don't beat them up too bad. just hope they don't go GW and get money crazy cause then you have to get stuff from www.thewarstore.com at good prices.

Back