Variable combat actions

How many combat actions in your Games

• I run it as written in the rules (CAs based on DEX)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have variable number of CAs but use a different system to the rules

• I have a fixed number of CAs

• I use a totally different system

• Total voters
The impact of high CAs is huge.
If that elf above has 4 CAs, he may also parry/dodge 4 times. A massive advantage when the PCs are outnumbered by their foes.
The above mentioned dwarf may only parry/dodge twice. So two of the the elf's attack are getting straight through (okay, the dwarf would, of course, have a shield, so actually he may parry three times rather than two, but that's beside the point). I'd say Ouch, regardless of any armour or more hit points. If I were that elf, I'd go for a greatsword, put all my skill in that skill and flurry away. Or go for the bypass armour option. If that elf ever learns decent damage boosting spells he's a bad sucker indeed.

Denalor said:
The impact of high CAs is huge.
If that elf above has 4 CAs, he may also parry/dodge 4 times. A massive advantage when the PCs are outnumbered by their foes.
The above mentioned dwarf may only parry/dodge twice. So two of the the elf's attack are getting straight through (okay, the dwarf would, of course, have a shield, so actually he may parry three times rather than two, but that's beside the point). I'd say Ouch, regardless of any armour or more hit points. If I were that elf, I'd go for a greatsword, put all my skill in that skill and flurry away. Or go for the bypass armour option. If that elf ever learns decent damage boosting spells he's a bad sucker indeed.
Since no Dwarf worth his metal is likely to go without a shield, especially if mounting a military action against an Elf forest, he should normally have 3 Defensive Actions. I also think you've misinterpreted Elf psychology, since they are missile users by preference (not being as tough and using lighter armour). So an Elf using a bow (and the reload rules) would only get 2 shots per round (only 1 and a half if only an elf with average DEX). So in a Gloranthan setting, the Dwarfs are more than adequately protected. :wink:

However, that doesn't address the issue that under the rules as written, the guy with more CAs can slip in a free attack or two. Using a shield can offset this by one defensive action. So for most races there's no problem. If necessary you could always use a house-rule that when faced by a foe with a superior number of CAs, or several foes together, the defender can sacrifice his Combat Actions for Defensive Actions. :D

Pete Nash said:
However, that doesn't address the issue that under the rules as written, the guy with more CAs can slip in a free attack or two. Using a shield can offset this by one defensive action. So for most races there's no problem. If necessary you could always use a house-rule that when faced by a foe with a superior number of CAs, or several foes together, the defender can sacrifice his Combat Actions for Defensive Actions. :D

That's the only modification to the rules that I use. I allow characters to sacrifice an action in order to make an additional reaction, but not the reverse. A character can't sacrifice a reaction to get an extra action.
Aside from the bookkeeping, I like using multiple actions per turn. It reflects the speed of each character or monster. A player whose character gets half as many attacks as his opponent should think hard about whether he wants his character to engage this opponent in combat. If the character is capable of inflicting more damage than the opponent, then that could offset the opponent's advantage in speed. Otherwise, the character should perhaps adopt a different tactic, such as getting other characters to gang up on the opponent.

Excuse me but I will persist and say that variable action rounds and the reaction concept are just plain wrong. I do not like them for the following reasons:
1) they are a nightmare to track. You have to keep for each participants two sets of data (actions and reactions)
2) the round usually do not go round smoothly. Players tend to keep track of initiative relative to another player ("I play after Bill). Difference in actions tend to throw this logic out of the window. ("I have forgotten to play because bill didn't play")
3) it frustrates players with low CA. They basically spend a lot of p
Their time watching other players play
4) High CA is uber powerful. More CA means more parry/dodge (and elfs also know how to use a shield)
5) Being the first to act is in itself enough of a reward
6) RQ is deadly. Slow and pondering is not in my opinion a viable option. A single well placed blow is enough to tAke down the best warrior. Dodge/parry beat any other kind of defense

Well these are my opinion. I have started with variable combat actions and moved to a fixed number. I am not trying to be dogmatic here, simply to share my experience a GMing a large group (try keeping a tally of variable actions/reactions for 6 players and 12 monsters... That's 36 data sets! Good luck!)

Tabularasa said:
Excuse me but I will persist and say that variable action rounds and the reaction concept are just plain wrong.
Personally I like variable numbers of Combat Actions myself (especially when they can be sacrificed for Reactions), and have no problem tracking them. :)

Tabularasa said:
I do not like them for the following reasons:
1) they are a nightmare to track. You have to keep for each participants two sets of data (actions and reactions)
From the perspective of book-keeping, I see little difference between tracking fixed numbers of CA's/Reactions (assuming two or more of each) or variable numbers. You still have to juggle sub-divisions of a round.

On the other hand, if you limit the number of CAs to 1 per round, you lose a lot of the tactical flexibility offered in the rules, and bias the deadliness of ganging up on a single opponent.

Tabularasa said:
3) it frustrates players with low CA. They basically spend a lot of their time watching other players play
Again I don't see it as a problem. If a player gets frustrated from lack of CAs, then others may be just as frustrated from having fewer MPs, HPs or no Damage Bonus. You choose how to assign your Characteristics. If you run a combat heavy game, then DEX obviously becomes more important, but assuming you don't constantly bump into Elfs with above average DEX (whilst spurning your shield), I still don't see it as much of a problem.

Tabularasa said:
4) High CA is uber powerful. More CA means more parry/dodge (and elfs also know how to use a shield)
There are times when I want to have a foe with many more CAs. Why should my five headed hydra be limited to one or two CAs per round, when it has five possible attacks? Since its a monster I plan to set against the party as a whole, if I limit it to a fixed number of attacks/reactions, it'll be swamped by the combined PC assault.

Thus I want a solution which works using the rules as is.

Tabularasa said:
6) RQ is deadly. Slow and pondering is not in my opinion a viable option.
Let me put it this way. How many top class warriors (or martial artists) do you know who are clumsy, uncoordinated and slow? The best fighters have good DEX. If you want to be a top class sorcerer or scholar, then INT is your primary focus. As I've indicated earlier, even with only 2 CA's a round, using a shield still puts you on a reasonable footing against a 3 CA opponent.

Tabularasa said:
Well these are my opinion. I have started with variable combat actions and moved to a fixed number. I am not trying to be dogmatic here, simply to share my experience a GMing a large group (try keeping a tally of variable actions/reactions for 6 players and 12 monsters... That's 36 data sets! Good luck!)
I'm not belittling your experiences, but I've never had much of a problem with variable actions/reactions, even when running big encounters. Admittedly, I tend to group numbers of similar opponents under the same initiative roll and number of actions.

I suppose it boils down to how you design your fights. I don't usually set very fast foes against players in normal encounters. They are reserved for 'Boss' type fights. Even if someone ends up in a solo combat against a superior number of CAs, its actually quite rare for that extra attack to be immediately one-sided. The unopposed blow can still miss, be absorbed by armour and/or magic, or the wound level shrugged with a successful Resilience roll. An extra CA is an edge, but not a instantly lethal one.

Pete Nash said:
Tabularasa said:
There are times when I want to have a foe with many more CAs. Why should my five headed hydra be limited to one or two CAs per round, when it has five possible attacks? Since its a monster I plan to set against the party as a whole, if I limit it to a fixed number of attacks/reactions, it'll be swamped by the combined PC assault.

Ironically, this is not catered for in the rules. Your 5-headed hydra has a number of combat actions based on its DEX. Thus a nimble 1-headed hydra has more attacks than an average 5-headed hydra.

The rules also mean that any creature designed to stand alone against a party of PCs has to have DEX or get massively outgunned.

As I say, I allow two CAs per round for everyone. To be precise, there are two Action Phases per round and each character acts once per phase.

I put variability in through traits, dual-weapon wielding and legendary abilities. E.g. a Hydra would have "multi-attack" allowing it to attack several times at once in each Action Phase.

Deleriad said:
Ironically, this is not catered for in the rules. Your 5-headed hydra has a number of combat actions based on its DEX. Thus a nimble 1-headed hydra has more attacks than an average 5-headed hydra.
(I feel like I'm playing tennis, bouncing back and forth between here and the Basic News thread. :) )

You're right. As it stands, multiple actions are based on DEX rather than physiology. But even with that limitation I can still replicate a monster's multiple attacks by using DEX (although five attacks a round would require me to expand the DEX table upwards). :twisted:

For something like a walktapus I could simply assign it a high DEX to get 4 attacks per round (which isn't possible in its current writeup, demonstrating another broken conversion). For a hydra (which I have no characteristics for), if I wanted to be a complete bastard I could instead say that every head has a DEX of 13, giving each one three attacks per round!

When it comes to carnivores which under BRP had claw, claw, bite routines, I'd have to decide whether they should be a flurry of three attacks per CA (whereupon I'd need to use your nice Multiattack Legendary Ability), or simply say that the creature simply uses each limb/bite attack once during the melee round - which considering its only five seconds long, is more realistic (for me anyway!).

Deleriad said:
The rules also mean that any creature designed to stand alone against a party of PCs has to have DEX or get massively outgunned.
Since some monsters have STR, SIZ or CON way up there, I don't have a problem doing the same with DEX, if the creature's physiology or threat justifies it. :D

On the other hand, for intelligent foes facing multiple opponents, I use a group opposed test of a relevant manoeuvrability skill to reduce the number of enemy which can hit them each round. Its a house-rule, but it reduces the need for massive DEX.

Deleriad said:
I put variability in through traits, dual-weapon wielding and legendary abilities. E.g. a Hydra would have "multi-attack" allowing it to attack several times at once in each Action Phase.
What you do with traits, dual-wielding and Legendary Abilities, I simply prefer to do with DEX. Both ways work! :)

In conclusion, I don't think variable number of attacks based on a Characteristic is broken. Rather I think it adds tactical opportunity, and adds a rule system consistency which would help in designing creature attack routines - which since the original RQ have been subject to rather ad-lib decisions.

Remember the good old days, when we had nasty fights where a single hero with 1 attack per round would end up in single combat against a lion or scorpion man with three attacks per round! Why the same situation should now be a problem in MRQ I really have no idea! :D

Pete Nash said:
What you do with traits, dual-wielding and Legendary Abilities, I simply prefer to do with DEX. Both ways work! :)

True. Naturally I think my preference works better which is why it is my preference.

I think there are gamist problems with having DEX be crucial in how often you attack and how quickly you attack, especially in a game with Active Defence where the Defence must be declared before the results of the attack are known.

From a simulationist perspective it seems better to hang number of attacks per round on physiology, skill and cinematic abilities.

That said, I think earlier versions of RQ massively overstated creatures with multiple attacks. I remain unconvinced that a lion could attack three times to a human's once.

At first glance, MRQ RAW looks like it might simulate a nimble spear wielding attacking four times per round compared to a big lumbering troll attacking twice. However, there's nothing to stop the big lumbering troll also attacking 4 times if it trains its DEX up. Which is to say that MRQ has no concept of the ability to attack fast and often with a weapon that is light and manoeuvrable. So again, if I wanted to build that in, I would do it through a legendary ability or a special weapon skill that allows additional attacks and/or higher SR.

Basically, DEX is a blunt instrument when it comes to simulating speed of attack. I personally would say that's got more to do with weapon type and skill.

Creatures with naturally multiple attacking limbs get extra attacks naturally. So, a high DEX 1-Headed Hydra would get fewer atacks than a clumsy 5-Headed Hydra. But a high DEX 5-Headed Hydra would get more actions than a clumsy 5-Headed Hydra.

The image that comes to mind when thinking about this is a clumsy, lumbering barbarian swinging his axe against a nimble lithe thief dancing around him, attacking with her dagger and throwing a knife at somebody else.

Seems fine to me.

soltakss said:
Creatures with naturally multiple attacking limbs get extra attacks naturally. So, a high DEX 1-Headed Hydra would get fewer atacks than a clumsy 5-Headed Hydra. But a high DEX 5-Headed Hydra would get more actions than a clumsy 5-Headed Hydra.

Not according to the rules. Sure you can work on the basis that this what ought to happen but it doesn't happen according to the rules.

[/quote]
The image that comes to mind when thinking about this is a clumsy, lumbering barbarian swinging his axe against a nimble lithe thief dancing around him, attacking with her dagger and throwing a knife at somebody else.

Seems fine to me.[/quote]

Or what about a DEX 19 Barbarian with a Great Hammer dancing nimbly around a DEX 12 thief with a dagger. Who gets more attacks now?

Deleriad said:
Or what about a DEX 19 Barbarian with a Great Hammer dancing nimbly around a DEX 12 thief with a dagger. Who gets more attacks now?
Well, I suppose if that barbarian were Conan or Fahard with their panther-like grace and reflexes, then the mental image still works for me. Assuming of course we are talking about a proper realistic/historical Great Hammer (something akin to a poleaxe), rather than some silly fantasy image of a 40lb sledge hammer. ;)

The thief stepped out of the shadowed alleyway, brandishing his dagger nonchalantly. "Hand over your purse now, or be prepared to pick your guts off the floor!"

Conan, disguised under the looted cloak of the militiaman, didn't deign to answer. Springing forwards with tigerish speed, he straight-punched the haft of the poleaxe he was carrying into the thief's face, snapping the man's head back in a spray of blood from a broken nose.

Not waiting for the mugger to recover, he swung the haft of the weapon crosswise, clouting the unfortunate man in the left arm and incidentally bringing the butt-end of the weapon into line. Taking another step to keep up with the reeling foe who flailed his dagger in a wild slash, he jabbed the spiked point into the thief's chest with a sickening crunch of ribs breaking.

The Shemite doubled over, just in time for Conan to rotate the poleaxe 180 degrees, landing a mighty overhead blow to the back of his victims head.

Slipping into the same shadows, vacated by the dead thief just seconds before, the Cimmarian prowled deeper into the city in his search for the diabolic sorcerer...
:D

Deleriad said:
soltakss said:

Not according to the rules. Sure you can work on the basis that this what ought to happen but it doesn't happen according to the rules.

There is a Trait somewhere (I've seen it but I can't remember where) which describes multiple attacks. I'll try and dig it out some time.

Deleriad said:

The barbarian. No problem. He can attack with his Hammer, dodge and move (although I am not very happy about Move being a combat action - it wasn't in RQ3 ...)

I must admit that starting this thread has strengthened my objection to variable numbers of combat actions based purely on DEX. Just to reprise, someone with DEX 19+ gets 4 CAs while someone with DEX 7-12 gets 2 CAs.

It's often been mentioned that having variable CAs simulates the nimble thief with a dagger who attacks more quickly than a big slow person with a maul. Thing is, it doesn't. A Great Troll with DEX 19 (DEX = 3D6 same as a human) and a great maul at 40% attacks just as quickly with its maul as a human thief with DEX 19 and 120% in their dagger. It is just as easy for a Great Troll PC to reach DEX 19 as it is for a human PC.

Other issues are:

Infinite Free attacks. If you have 4CAs and are facing someone with 2CAs and you start more than 10m away then, both parties run for 2CAs and then Mr 4CA throws 2 daggers that can't be dodged. Repeat ad infinitum.

Skill doesn't matter. Skill 120% with DEX 12 compared to skill 40% with DEX 19. The latter gets two undefendable attacks each round.

Weapon doesn't matter. A Great Troll can hit you as quickly with a bear as it can with a dagger.

SIZ doesn't matter. Bigger creatures often have relatively low DEX but not always.

Armour doesn't matter. If you have DEX 19 you have 4 CAs regardless of whether you are wearing a loin cloth or full gothic plate.

Extra types of attack don't matter. If you are an 8-armed goddess with 12 DEX you have 2 CAs. If you are a one-armed Fachan with 19 DEX you have 4 combat actions.

There is nothing better than an attack that can't be defended against. E.g. consider two average humans who are identical in all respects except one has +6 STR and one has +6 DEX. The guy with STR gets +6% to all his close combat skills and does +1d2 extra damage twice a turn. The guy with +6 DEX gets +6% close combat weapons and missile weapons and does an extra weapon damage once per turn and can defend against one extra attack per turn and has +3 SR modifier.

Taking all this into consideration I find myself hard pressed to find any good reason for having combat actions be variable and be based purely on DEX.

regarding Peter's comment on bookeeping, I use a fixed 3 action per round and do not differentiate between actions and reactions (parrying/dodging/free attacks cost one action). An exceptionally fast monster may get a 4th action at the GM's discretion.

This simplifies bookeeping greatly. Furthermore, I have found very usefull to put a coin or poker chip under the figurines each time they make a reaction (time for warrior B to resolve his second action. However he has already two chips. This means that he has already acted three times: 1st action+2 reaction. He therefore cannot play further)

Regarding player frustration, there will always be an element of frustration because so and so has a bigger axe, does more damage. However with variable CA within the group it is far worse because it simply freezes some player from the game. As a GM, I want all my players to be involved. Nothing is worse than have a player twiddle his/her thumb while the rest of the party has fun.

Is a variable number of CA really worth the extra hassle? There are better ways to differentiate between fighting style. Why not give your players quick ass combat manoeuvers straight from crouching tigger & hidden dragon... m

after 15 years without runequest I just noticed that there is a new edition since 2006 :)
I'm not that "rule-wise" but what do you think about a variant I used in my own rules:

1. Introduce something like a "Quickness" which is based on e.g. 40+2xDEX+2xST-2xSIZ (If you like you can make this a Skill, I am not sure about the calculation - I think, average should be around 60%)

2. Strike Rank determines the order of play (without any roll - if you put your players on the table in this order the order of play is quite simple).

3. The GM rolls once for Quickness every "action-phase" for ALL(!) Combatants. Everyone whose Quickness is less or equal has an "Active Phase", all other have a "Passive Phase".
If the GM rolls a 1-20, the round ends immediatly and starts with a new round and an active phase for all combatants.
Exception: The very first round of combat always starts with an active phase for all combatants (no roll on Quickness).

4. "Active Phase":
You have 1 Combat Action and 1 Reaction. You may convert the Combat Action to a reaction. You can use the additional Parry of a shield or secondary weapon.

5. "Passive Phase":
You have 1 reaction only.
(Option: instead of using the reaction you can stop or continue an ongoing move, e.g. continue a run to the exit, continue to climb the rope.. you may NOT start a new move or change the target of the move, you may not do anything which requires any decisions)

6. Options to simulate heavy armor and clumsy weapons:
- Use the Armor skill penalty to reduce quickness. (if doing so you maybe skip the reduction of weapon skills by armor)
- Use 5xENC of your Weapon to reduce Quickness

Advantages:
- no bookkeeping at all
- quickness matters as well as armor and clumsy weapons
- allows very smooth calculations: every point of DEX or SIZ counts as well as every point of armor penalty

Disadvantages:
- quickness is nothing you can count on. It ist possible to get 5 actions or just 1 per round. (is this a disadvantage??)

What do you think?

Forgive my continuing defence of variable combat actions. This debate is raising some interesting ideas! :D

Deleriad said:
It's often been mentioned that having variable CAs simulates the nimble thief with a dagger who attacks more quickly than a big slow person with a maul. Thing is, it doesn't.
You're quite right. It should really say that variable CAs simulate the differences between people with better agility and coordination, and those that are less so. Size should have nothing to do with it (at least across the human scale, assuming no obesity)

A Great Troll with DEX 19 (DEX = 3D6 same as a human) and a great maul at 40% attacks just as quickly with its maul as a human thief with DEX 19 and 120% in their dagger.
If a creature has the surplus strength to wield it, then I don't see why it can't be as quick as a dagger. That's a question of relative strength to mass ratios. But granting more CAs to higher skill levels would only exasperate your problem with excessive free attacks, surely?

It is just as easy for a Great Troll PC to reach DEX 19 as it is for a human PC.
I also think that this is a flaw. When you start getting really large creatures, DEX should become more limited. However, as an aside, has anyone here seen one of their players actually use improvement rolls to increase a characteristic? The only DEX 19+ PCs I've seen was one I created created using the 'Advanced Characters' rules.

Infinite Free attacks. If you have 4CAs and are facing someone with 2CAs and you start more than 10m away then, both parties run for 2CAs and then Mr 4CA throws 2 daggers that can't be dodged. Repeat ad infinitum.
Well, eventually he'd run out of ammunition! However I think this example is slightly flawed since I don't think the chasing party would expend their Reactions by running, so they can still attempt to block missile fire. :) However, the same situation can be replicated using mounted archers against unmounted PCs, or terrain etc. So I consider it more a tactical problem.

Skill doesn't matter. Skill 120% with DEX 12 compared to skill 40% with DEX 19. The latter gets two undefendable attacks each round.
This I disagree with. Skill matters greatly, especially if you use the opposed combat roll, downgrade rule. In your example, the slower 2 CA guy would almost certainly have landed two blows (and defended himself successfully twice) by the time the first of his opponent's 'free attacks' comes into play.

Weapon doesn't matter. A Great Troll can hit you as quickly with a bear as it can with a dagger.
From my experience, weapon size doesn't have much of an effect on the number of blows you can throw in a limited timescale. Historical two handed weapon combat isn't all massive roundhouse swings... its a smooth flow between jabs, short cuts, thrusts, punches, etc. The really 'big' blows usually come at the end of a combination when your opponent has been overwhelmed - and they can be deceptively fast! Likewise, effective knife fighting isn't about quick slashes, which generally only cause superficial damage - its more a case of a lot of manoeuvring to get the brief opportunity to thrust home a telling stab.

It might appear contrary to popular belief, but little weapons make fights last longer and slow down the exchange rate! But that's enough about boring real life combat stuff, lets get back to heroic fantasy! :roll:

SIZ doesn't matter. Bigger creatures often have relatively low DEX but not always.
This I agree wholeheartedly with you. Bigger creatures should be, er, perhaps not slower since a 1 ton salt water croc can be blindingly fast on initiative, but certainly have less CAs. :D

I think many of the Creatures in the MRQ Delux book were pretty much transcribed as is from RQ3, and perhaps lacked a little forethought as to how the DEX based variable CA system would impact them. A few need some tweeking for sure. However at the human scale I don't have much problem with big people still being blindingly fast in combat. Over the years I have had many bruises to testify it.

Armour doesn't matter. If you have DEX 19 you have 4 CAs regardless of whether you are wearing a loin cloth or full gothic plate.
Again I agree with you in principle. Heavy armour does slow you down. Not massively, certainly not by 25% or more, but enough to be noticeable. Unfortunately I cannot see a elegant way of accounting for this without causing break points in the armour tables, or be unduly penalising at this scale of CAs per round.

Extra types of attack don't matter. If you are an 8-armed goddess with 12 DEX you have 2 CAs. If you are a one-armed Fachan with 19 DEX you have 4 combat actions.
Just because you have multiple limbs, it doesn't mean that you can use them all simultaneously in combat. In reality, most multiple limbed/attack animals use one or two of their attacks to hinder/grapple prey, before sticking in the rest sequentially after they've established a hold. Physiology prevents most creatures from using all their attacks at once.

However this is fantasy, so most players expect 8 armed goddesses to be able to fight with all eight swords at once. Although representing this by hiking up DEX (and extending the table) means that the goddess would have a serious Strike Rank advantage I don't have a problem with it, since being first to attack is a lesser advantage. I must watch that Sinbad film again... :)

There is nothing better than an attack that can't be defended against.
Very true! :D

But as I said before, the attacker still has to succeed in his unopposed skill roll, the blow could be stopped by armour and/or magic protection, if it penetrates the damage may be negligible, and even if it causes a Serious Wound then the defender can still make a Resilience roll.

A free attack does not equate to an instant win.

Taking all this into consideration I find myself hard pressed to find any good reason for having combat actions be variable and be based purely on DEX.
You do have some very valid points. However, adding modifiers for armour, weapons, skill, SIZ etc would probably start turning the game down the path to FGU-dom. I think it'd also encourage mini-maxing and you'd end up with more extreme situations of variable CAs. :wink:

IMO the game doesn't break if a combat specialist has an extra attack per round than his opponent. Its an advantage, but so is a Damage Bonus. Indeed, a +1d4 atop a great weapon's damage can in many cases finish fights quicker (a one hit Major Wound) than a free attack at the end of the round.

Is DEX currently out of proportion with the other characteristics? Yes, as it stands I'm in full agreement with you. Is having 3 CAs a round an evil sin when the other PC only has 2? No, I don't think missing out one (shorter) CA phase out of every three is such a burden. Is having 1 extra CA a round versus the GM's monsters unacceptable? Of course not, the GM can tailor his encounters to take it into account. Is giving the monster an extra CA over the players even worse? That's up to the GM.

Lets face it, PCs naturally gang up on opponents, so the concept of game balance where everybody gets 2 CAs goes straight out the window. How many times has your big baddy been taken out by mob tactics?

Free unopposed attacks are always going to happen, variable CAs or no!

What I don't quite understand is if you are so against variable numbers of CAs, why on earth do you offer a Legendary Ability allowing PCs to gain an extra one? :wink:

Tabularasa said:
regarding Peter's comment on bookeeping, I use a fixed 3 action per round and do not differentiate between actions and reactions (parrying/dodging/free attacks cost one action). An exceptionally fast monster may get a 4th action at the GM's discretion.
Actually, the idea of removing the split between actions and reactions does simplify things greatly, and improves tactical flexibility. Its growing on me. Who knows, I might take a step towards the light side of the force after all! :D

Pete Nash said:
What I don't quite understand is if you are so against variable numbers of CAs, why on earth do you offer a Legendary Ability allowing PCs to gain an extra one? :wink:

That's the thing. I'm not against having variable numbers of combat actions in a round but I think it would be better if they were gained through Legendary Abilities and traits rather than purely through DEX.

I think variable actions through DEX are bad from a gamist perspective because they over-emphasise DEX and from a simulationist perspective because they don't simulate the things that people think they do - hence my long list of examples.

BTW you were right about the run and throw example. That does remind me that 13 DEX gives you one more reaction and one more action than 12 DEX. A DEX 19 Great Troll with a shield can handily defend against 5 attacks a round from elves.

I totally agree that any attempt to factor in armour, size, weapon size and so on into number of attacks ends up as a book-keeping exercise. And also that 'real' combat is often nothing like fantasy combat as seen in movies and rpgs. However, trying to model real combat and injury etc is probably not a fun thing for most people.

I think therefore, if you reserve extra attacks for skill (through legendary abilities) and fantastical beasts (through traits) then extra attacks will feel special.

As you say, I think this has been an interesting topic because it's brought a fair few things to light. Poor translation of RQ creatures, lack of thought about characteristic increase rolls and so on.

Pete Nash said:
Forgive my continuing defence of variable combat actions. This debate is raising some interesting ideas! :D

Indeed.

However, as an aside, has anyone here seen one of their players actually use improvement rolls to increase a characteristic?

I have. Though it was a matter of raising a low stat, not boosting one beyond human average. So do not assume you will not have many DEX 19+ characters. In fact I have a Vronkali one in a PBP!

This I disagree with. Skill matters greatly, especially if you use the opposed combat roll, downgrade rule. In your example, the slower 2 CA guy would almost certainly have landed two blows (and defended himself successfully twice) by the time the first of his opponent's 'free attacks' comes into play.

However, Pete, the point is that the 40% guy could defend against the master's two attacks, with a little luck. And the 120% master could find himself unable to defend against a critical third blow, having wasted his only two reactions on missed attacks. Which has nothing to do with either realism or game fun. One solution to this i to use the "Don't spend the reaction if the attack was not successful" variant, which emphasizes skill over raw number of actions.

Again I agree with you in principle. Heavy armour does slow you down. Not massively, certainly not by 25% or more, but enough to be noticeable. Unfortunately I cannot see a elegant way of accounting for this without causing break points in the armour tables, or be unduly penalising at this scale of CAs per round.

Why? You always state that wearing armour slows your movements, but in fact the current rules make you less accurate rather than less fast. Maybe using loss of CAs instead of loss of skill is a better solution for armor penalty.

For instance, what about summing up your SIZ+STR and if this is less than your armour skill penalty you lose one CA (or better one CA per 10 points shorter or fraction)?

Actually, the idea of removing the split between actions and reactions does simplify things greatly, and improves tactical flexibility. Its growing on me. Who knows, I might take a step towards the light side of the force after all! :D

This could be a very simple and effective solution. 5 actions for all, to be divided among actions and reactions, but you cannot normally do more than 2 attacks per round. Each of the following conditions allow to add one more attack, at the cost of one reaction:

- having DEX of 13+
- having two weapons (or more than 2 limbs if unarmed)
- having 100%+ in the skill you use to attack

ähm..
no comment to my suggestion means...
you think it will not work?

i think with the proposed suggestion you would combine variabel CA and less bookkeeping as well as simulating heavy armor quite well and simple..

casamordius said:
ähm..
no comment to my suggestion means...
you think it will not work?

i think with the proposed suggestion you would combine variabel CA and less bookkeeping as well as simulating heavy armor quite well and simple..

I think it's a perfectly reasonable system but very different. I suspect the problem with it would be the potential for characters with low quickness to get absolutely hammered. There's also likely to be multiple cases of people attacking only to realise 5 minutes later that their quickness was too low.

As always, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Back