Travellers Needed! Traveller's 50th

I doubt that I would buy a reprint of Mongoose rules in an LBB format. Maybe if they had existed and I had a choice between the LBB deluxe box version or the core rule book version, I might have. Probably would have, actually. But as a duplicate vanity edition, I doubt it. I'm not that sort of collector.

Sad, but true.

And while I would probably end up with them all, a LBB makeover would be lower on my list.

What I'd like to see:
  1. Within the Charted Space setting, material that's not ultimately Third-Imperium-centric - that is, I'd like to see material for adventuring as Vargr in Vargr space, as Zhodani in Zhodani space, as Aslan in Aslan space, et cetera und so weiter and so forth. This material would necessarily have to go into the psychology of the target society, and discuss how it would affect adventures, the motivation thusfor, appropriate pushes, pulls, and enigmae, etc., usw...
  2. Also within the Charted Space setting, material to develop some of the more notable minor races, human or otherwise - for example, Luriani (a second book on them; AV's Minor Alien Module on them was a good start), Vegans, Geonee, Bawapakerwa-a-a-awapawab, Schalli, Dolphins, Ursa, ... and not just Imperial minor races, minor races that appear elsewhere, like Ithklur, Gurvin, Addaxur, ...
  3. Outside the Charted Space setting, license some properties for development. And not necessarily the MOSTEST FAMOUSEST stuff like Star Trek (though it'd be nice to see this one eventually come out - what ever happened to that project from ADB, BTW?) or Firefly or et cetera, but other well-written SF as sources - for example, Cherryh's Compact Space (the Chanur saga), Lee and Miller's Liaden Universe®, Drake's Republic of Cinnabar Navy setting, Weber's Honor Harrington setting, Dave Grossman's "Two Space" (that one could really be fun for Traveller, and I'm even allowed to develop it - permission directly from the author!), the universe of Vatta's War, and so on.
  4. Traveller has historically been SF/Space Opera focussed, although there have been third-party "forks" into other genres. I don't think that genre settings is a bad idea, and while I'd object on general principles if Mongoose were to deliberately try to step on toes to do alternate genres, some sort of "official" backing for e.g., westerns, high fantasy, low fantasy, superheroes/supervillains, steampunk, cyberpunk, transhumanism, true Age of Sail, et multae ceterae, would be nice.
  5. A SETTING CREATOR'S GUIDE/HANDBOOK. This document would discuss what a setting needs to be able to address to be a "game-able" setting. This isn't a "mechanics" book, it's a "philosophy" book that might have some examples of mechanics that would be in keeping with the core philosophy of Gaming With Traveller. What Mark Rosenfelder did for storytelling, this concept would do for roleplaying.

Digital nomads are people who travel freely while working remotely using technology and the internet.[1] Such people generally have minimal material possessions and work remotely in temporary housing, hotels, cafes, public libraries, co-working spaces, or recreational vehicles, using Wi-Fi, smartphones or mobile hotspots to access the Internet.[1][2][3][4][5] The majority of digital nomads describe themselves as programmers, content creators, designers, or developers.[4] Some digital nomads are perpetual travelers, while others only maintain the lifestyle for a short period of time. While some nomads travel through multiple countries, others remain in one area, and some may choose to travel while living in a vehicle, in a practice often known as van-dwelling.[6] In 2023, there are 17.3 million American digital nomads, which is a 131% increase since 2019.[7]

What I'd like to see:
A SETTING CREATOR'S GUIDE/HANDBOOK. This document would discuss what a setting needs to be able to address to be a "game-able" setting. This isn't a "mechanics" book, it's a "philosophy" book that might have some examples of mechanics that would be in keeping with the core philosophy of Gaming With Traveller. What Mark Rosenfelder did for storytelling, this concept would do for roleplaying.

I think this would be an excellent small PDF distributed for free or low cost.

Gathering ideals from the official sources combined with experienced Referee notes. An appendix/addendum to the forthcoming History of Traveller book.

1 - The concepts of what roleplaying (improv fiction) is
2 - The difference in a rule set and a setting
3 - The reasoning for picking a (portion) of a rule set to run
4 - The potential types of settings

2-5 thousand words overall. Limited graphics, PoD (print on demand not the other PoD) ready.

I think this would be an excellent small PDF distributed for free or low cost.

Gathering ideals from the official sources combined with experienced Referee notes. An appendix/addendum to the forthcoming History of Traveller book.

1 - The concepts of what roleplaying (improv fiction) is
2 - The difference in a rule set and a setting
3 - The reasoning for picking a (portion) of a rule set to run
4 - The potential types of settings

2-5 thousand words overall. Limited graphics, PoD (print on demand not the other PoD) ready.
Well, if you would like some inspiration on inspiration, here is something I came up with earlier :)

Attachments

• gamemastering-inspiration.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 11
Everyone loves spreadsheets and for good reason: All data starts and ends in spreadsheets

Spreadsheets quickly become complicated and hard to maintain. I have no problem with spreadsheets at all, they are accessible and quick to learn

There is another way, though it’s more difficult to make a start. And can solve structural problems referenced on this forum

If a database were used to store all referenced items and their statistics, then it is possible to create a common framework where a single item can be re-used ubiquitously across all manner of constructs

Spreadsheet extracts can still be used and developed locally, sourcing from a common core set of definitions

The challenges are often lack of familiarity with database technology, and a desire to retain ownership of information sets

Thoughts?

What would I wish for?
A relationship with FFE, or Mongoose and those designing STL versions of Traveller ships...
So, you don't have to have a 3D printer to get copies of the ships....
Or to buy a 25mm (or 15mm since not everyone has the space) printing of the Beowulf for other craft those groups have printed...

So, you don't have to have a 3D printer to get copies of the ships....
Check your local library. We print for free (within reason) so you can bring your file in and we will print off a ship or three for you.

A full Imperial Fleet might be stretching things.....

Check your local library. We print for free (within reason) so you can bring your file in and we will print off a ship or three for you.

A full Imperial Fleet might be stretching things.....
Where are you located?
My local library doesn't have a 3D Printer.

I can look for County resources, but I'm guessing bringing in the STL's for...say, all the parts for the Beowulf....might be somewhat outside reason ;)
Not to mention, knowing how to scale it for 15mm, to keep my wife from exploding at the size of my new toy...

Where are you located?
My local library doesn't have a 3D Printer.

I can look for County resources, but I'm guessing bringing in the STL's for...say, all the parts for the Beowulf....might be somewhat outside reason ;)
Not to mention, knowing how to scale it for 15mm, to keep my wife from exploding at the size of my new toy...
I am in Broward County (South Florida).

Actually we would probably print the Beowulf as a one time project. We get a lot of cosplay requests for things. The items that are off limits are weapons, so no knives of any kind or replica guns.

Our craziest piece we did was a 30 part short bow, or the working ukulele. A few miniatures is easy.

Our system has 5 libraries with printers at them. I do work for a large urban system, 38 branches total. 3D printers, VR, submarine, robots, etc.

I have a very cool job.

I am in Broward County (South Florida).

Actually we would probably print the Beowulf as a one time project. We get a lot of cosplay requests for things. The items that are off limits are weapons, so no knives of any kind or replica guns.

Our craziest piece we did was a 30 part short bow, or the working ukulele. A few miniatures is easy.

Our system has 5 libraries with printers at them. I do work for a large urban system, 38 branches total. 3D printers, VR, submarine, robots, etc.

I have a very cool job.

It is certainly worth investigating
Of course, the scaling is another question...

We could ditch Charted Space, you know. Hand back the IP rights to FFE. And when they decide to change things up to spruce up the game for the 50th, you know, you'll have no say in their decisions at all. I'm sure that'll make you all really happy.
And imagining a generation of kids finding this after we're gone, and seeing a game you wouldn't recognise, and not knowing any different, and calling it Traveller, and being right in doing so, would make me even happier.

The last twenty years have seen massive changes to Traveller, to Charted Space, to the whole setting. They're all canon. They're all OTU. You might not be able to handle there being a Deepnight Entity at the rim of space, but it's there. You might not like uplifted humans trawling around in super advanced ships commanding fleets of TL 25+ vessels, but it's official and your Travellers can go around with INT 24 and PSI 36+, commanding world-shattering psionic powers.
Traveller's already changed, often beyond recognition to what it was back in 1977. If you tried to shoehorn the game back into its original tin box, it is going to look as vintage as black & white seaside postcards from 1901. Unplayable by modern standards.

Face it. You may be the Old Guard, but the days when the grogs held the reins of canon like the Medieval Catholic Church are gone. Call off the Inquisition. Galileo won after all. Here come Copernicus and Arabic numerals.
FFE made T5 while Mongoose was doing Mongoose 2e. So they dont seem to need to have it hand it back.

Hey everyone,

2027 marks Traveller's 50th birthday, and we have been knocking around some possible ideas on how to celebrate the event.

So... what would you all like to see?
Am I too late to ask for a pool of local players and GMs? Or at least more of the same setting up games in Traveller discord in times that work for me?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Back