The Origin of the "Shuriken Gun" ?

simonh said:
Disc guns are tactical weapons.
If I did not miss one, the latest major international debate about a non-
lethal weapon to be banned because of its medical consequences was the
debate about blinding lasers, definitely a short range tactical weapon.

DFW said:
simonh said:
Check the edit, I should probably have just posted again.

I understand your point. My only point (as known by military strategists) is that wounded soldiers drain more of the enemies resources than dead ones.

Unless they are in a possition to still harm your own troops, which if they are in small-arms range they can still do. Therefore your own small-arms weapons need to be killers, not wounders.

DFW said:
simonh said:
Disc guns are tactical weapons.

Yes, they are. Deciding what an army uses and how is strat, not tactics however. Dum dum bullets are a tactical weapon, the decision to NOT use them was strategic ... ;)

Strategicaly, you want to win your tactical engagements, with the fewest of your own casualties.

Dum dums are a bit of an edge case. They're banned by the Hague Convention anyway so it's moot.

simonh said:
Strategicaly, you want to win your tactical engagements, with the fewest of your own casualties..

Correct. AND, you want to tie up as many of the enemies resources as possible in a campaign/war. That is strategy... Live it learn it. ;)

DFW said:
AND, you want to tie up as many of the enemies resources as possible in a campaign/war. That is strategy...
It is certainly not for humanitarian reasons that many nations developed
non-lethal tactical laser weapons that could make enemy soldiers perma-
nently blind (like China's ZM-87), and now that such weapons are banned
continue to work on tactical sonic weapons that are designed to make ene-
my soldiers permanently deaf - the idea to cause seriously disabling inju-
ries instead of killing is obviously just too tempting from a strategic point
of view. :roll:

By the way, the fact that such weapons are outlawed for military use does
of course not mean that they have disappeared and really are never used
- at least the intelligence guys still have them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Juan_de_Fuca_laser_incident

I think a lot of the "wounding is better" hype came out of the studies that led to the development of the assault rifle.

However, as I understand it, that was really more about designing a smaller round because the studies showed that a traditional full size rifle round was overpowered for automatic fire at the ranges it was effective at. Pistol rounds (submachine guns) were underpowered, so intermediate rounds were developed. More rounds per unit weight and less recoil while still being lethal enough was the idea.

But anyone saying that a 5.56 NATO round is designed to wound rather than kill, is very much mistaken.

The "best"* wound-instead-of-kill weapon is probably something like a nerve agent that results in permanent paraplegia or brain damage.

(* "best" in effectiveness terms. Not in moral ones).

simonh said:
Injuring rather than killing of soldiers can put a bigger strain on the enemy as they have wounded to care for. Dead soldiers don't require many resources...

That's fine for long range weaponry, but if I'm close enough to an enemy to be in range of his small-arms fire or grenades, I want that guy dead, dead, Dead!
Simon Hibbs

Good luck with that. Most weapons that can do that assuredly will most likely take you out as well...

Me as a Combat Vet I'll settle for mission kill.

simonh said:
Pop Quiz: An enemy soldier drops his weapon and starts running away. Your commanding officer orders you to shoot him in the back. What is the correct response, consistent with the Geneva Convention?

I don't know what the Geneva Convention says, but I'd shoot him even without being ordered to.

Better safe than sorry (and I suspect that dropping your gun and fleeing is not the international sign of formal surrender).

Infojunky said:
That's fine for long range weaponry, but if I'm close enough to an enemy to be in range of his small-arms fire or grenades, I want that guy dead, dead, Dead!
Simon Hibbs

Good luck with that. Most weapons that can do that assuredly will most likely take you out as well...

Me as a Combat Vet I'll settle for mission kill.[/quote]

Settling for mission kill if that's the way it works out is fine. However the point in contention is, given a choice between a weapons designed principally to wound the target, and a weapon designed principally to kill the target, which would you rather be firing in close combat?

All I'm saying is, anyone choosing the wounding weapons, or forcing it on the soldiery for 'strategic' purposes, is confused as to the mission and intentions of your average infantryman.

atpollard said:
I don't know what the Geneva Convention says ...
A white flag or the gesture of raising one's hands empty and open above
one's head are the usual symbols of surrender, but there are also some
others that are customarily accepted.

Pop Quiz: An enemy soldier drops his weapon and starts running away. Your commanding officer orders you to shoot him in the back. What is the correct response, consistent with the Geneva Convention?

Don't Know.

Best guesses:

An enemy soldier
Specifically identified as a combatant (rather than, for example, a clearly identified medic), ergo a legal target except under specific circumstances.

drops his weapon and starts running away
But has not specifically indicated he is surrendering. For all I know his weapon has jammed and he's going for an armoury to get another one. Nor - unless he stops and lets me search him - do I know he is now unarmed (sidearm, knife, grenades).

Your commanding officer orders you to shoot him in the back
Irrelevant. Illegal orders are no legal protection from committing an illegal act - fundamental principle enforced at Nuremberg and since.

I wouldn't think they are illegal in this case, though.

simonh said:
Terror weapon. Terrorists get the big headlines for how many poeple they kill, not how many people get sent to accident and emergency with a nasty cut.
not a terror weapon used by terrorists, but a terror weapon used by governments, or any group controlling territory.

Governments that kill off a lot of their own people tend to get overthrown because eventually people figure out they've got nothing left to lose. What's the worst that could happen - you try and fail, you die. You don't try, and you still might die. You succeed, and you're better off. OTOH, if the price of failure isn't death, you may not be inclined to push it - especially once you've been cut up a few times.

Back