Techno Mages

Eryx

Mongoose
I picked this up today, and although I haven't read it all yet, it looks quite... well... odd. Making them more like D&D wizards doesn't seem at first glance to be keeping them in feel with what we know of them and with the show.
Anyone actually tried playing one or tested their balance out yet? What did you think?

I also found the Season 3 sourcebook on the shelves. When did that come out? Mongoose kept that quiet.

I will first admit that I have not yet received my copy from Amazon, so it's a little awkward for me to comment, but from what I've heard, it looks good. Agent One (author) has included every aspects featured in the the novel trilogy, so I'm sure it will be true to the setting. Let's wait and see.

I think Neo's group have playtested TM and his comments felt like he was happy with them. I'm sure he will comment soon...

I picked this up today, and although I haven't read it all yet, it looks quite... well... odd. Making them more like D&D wizards doesn't seem at first glance to be keeping them in feel with what we know of them and with the show.
Anyone actually tried playing one or tested their balance out yet? What did you think?

Anyway, the information presented in the Fact Book is closely aligned to what is shown in the Techno-Mage trilogy books. They are presented as an order implanted with First One-level tech that allows them to cause effects that can only be described as magic (though it is not).

They did a good job, their problems and mistakes are minor ones that really do not take away from the great results.

(By the way I am Mage Ash. I am currently writing this from my place of employment, and so cannot log on.)

I got mine on saturday.. and from what i have read it looks good so far.... the backround stuff looks well researched.. the writer seems to have gotten the feel perfect from the little of the TV show we saw.. but mostly got the best feeling the series gave them.... yet again great job mongoose... now lets hope they do just as great with the Ranger Source book....

Having not read the Techno-Mage trilogy, I found the background of their Order really interesting and not at all what I was expecting.

I've just done likewise. Far from spoiling the books, the Techno Mage Fact Book has made me want to get them. :D

After reading the Techno-Mage fact book, I want to re-read the trilogy. Mongose really did a great job in getting the feel of the books. For those who haven't read them yet, you're in for some great reading.

Yes I have to agree with Elric's Ghost, they're the best B5 novels out there. Followed closely by "To Dream in the City of Sorrow" and "The Shadow Within". The "Legions of Fire" and Psi-Corp trilogies are well done too.

I've managed to find the first, third novels in the Techno-Mage trilogy and the prequal. Ordered the second book today.

I must say that never before have I so enjoyed a sourcebook that has made me go out and buy a novel line before.

I am also reading the novels now. Now if work would just stop telling me to work all this over time so I can get them read. :cry:

I believe thay did an excellent job on the Techno-Mage book.

A couple of little things I'd have liked would have been a summary listing of spells like in the Players Handbook and then the spells in alphabetical order.

Some sort of chart for the spells and the spells required to know a given spell.

I guess becomeing a Techno-Mage requires a lot of study.

Sidney

El Cid said:
I guess becomeing a Techno-Mage requires a lot of study.

Sidney

Yup, but then becoming a Techno Mage isnt so much a career choice as a life decision.

Eryx said:
I've managed to find the first, third novels in the Techno-Mage trilogy and the prequal. Ordered the second book today.

Eryx (or anyone who knows),

What prequel book? Do you mean In The Beginning? If not can you tell me the title of the prequel please? I thought I owned all the B5 novels in existence!

Thanks

Lastbesthope

Its called The Shadow Within.

I (luckily) picked it up by mistake when ordering the other novels in the techno-mage trilogy.

I still got a couple other books to finish before I can start on it though.

Though it is a good book, the shadow within, it has nothing to do with Technomages. Thus I still don't see why they call it a prequel. The only three characters in the book that are even present in the Technomage Trilogy is Mr. and Mrs. Sheridan, oh and Mr. Morden.

me

That book was published eariler and the re-release looked different but I remembered it after I started reading it.

Sidney

Interesting. I wonder why they put it as prequal on the cover. Oh well. It'll be a good read anyway. :)

I think it is a prequell because it describes what happened to Anna, who is in the trilogy quite a bit as I remember!

Back