Shake Down Cruise

Jak Nazryth

Mongoose
A couple of the guys I play with argue and bicker over the most minor issues, even issues that have nothing to do with the game.

One such issue is a shake down cruise. They argue how much time it should talk before new players take over a new ship etc..
I patiently point out that there isn't any rules I know of that require a shake down. It simply works. You need a used ship for "quirks".

However, this brings on an interesting question.

1) Should there be rules for a shake down cruise for the groups new ships?

2) If so, what systems should be "shaken" and how long should it take? ;)

My personal answer for 1) is... no. It's a sci-fi role-playing game. An adventure class ship that most Traveller groups tramp around in should be fine, especially if brand new, no shake-down required.
One of the only things I would use as an exception is if a GM has a plot hook / adventure for a new class of ship, but again... no rules.

Any suggestions?

In theory, new ships have no quirks; though this should certainly be the rule for standard vessels produced en masse.

What you're trying to find out if there any defects in individual ship systems, and if the builders took the effort to put everything in the right place and correctly connected.

If it's a second hand ship the players aren't familiar with, it would be to find out what the quirks are and if everything else is working correctly.

One thing about RPGs is the ability to create interesting scenarios. They want a shake down then call their first voyage a shake down. First, find out what they expect from such a cruise. They go through a routine trip to the 110D range, make a jump and exit at whatever destination they planned. Actually have some incident along the way at your discretion. They'll be making routine checks for any unusual problems. Something goes wrong that needs definite attention and make it exciting and rewarding to solve.

No one can hear you scream obscenities in jump space.

Should there be a shakedown cruise?

Probably. But - in the technical sense - if new it should have happened prior to you getting the ship. For a second hand ship - definitely. I often roll the "quirks" but don't actually tell the players what they are until they "find" them.

There is no specific rules requirement, but I refer you to the usual rules for skill checks - make a test when a check is especially dangerous, or challenging, or interesting.

Whilst I may have Pilot (spacecraft)/3, my first time at the helm of a new class of ship must be more awkward than sticking with my previous ship. I'd therefore go with an approach that popped up in the old Babylon 5 Legacies of War campaign; when the players get their new ship for the first time, make them make skill checks for everything - even stuff you wouldn't (and subsequently wont) make them make tests for.

Make the computers test to fire up the computer core. Engineer checks to fire up the fusion plant. Make them actually make landing tests. It could be represented narratively as unfamiliarity with the ship, or 'bugs' you need to learn to work your way around, or whatever, but it's a nice, simple way to increase the stress of the otherwise simple task of undocking and flying off.

Every new construction ship should have a shake-down cruise. Taking AIrcraft and water-borne ships, they make a single trip to verify the equipment works. For Aircraft (my specialty), there are actually TWO flights. The first is made by the manufacturer - this flight takes a few hours and checks every flight critical system. The second flight last about the same time and is a Customer flight; rechecking all the same systems.

For Traveller, these cruises would be part of the normal construction time. I would expect for a starship, it would consist of a run to the 100D limit with a portion of this run at maximum thrust, JUMP-1 to a nearby system, refuel and return. 2 weeks. If the characters want to be part of that, they can, but I would say that under normal circumstance, the BANK, as owner, deals with this - just like a new car is tested by the factory. QUALITY of the shipyard could make this a bit of fun - or lead to a serious adventure if the Jump Drive wasn't balanced properly out of the shipyard...

HOWEVER, if they are going to go that far, may I suggest something that is much more likely to involve the characters: VERIFICATION CRUISE. Following annual maintenance, they should make a Functional Check Cruise to verifiy that everything got put back together. I would expect that the QUALITY of the Starport doing the annual maintenance could have an effect on any checks... YMMV.

Or for that matter, every ship that's just had a refit or major overhaul. It's actually even used as a role playing lead in "Last Flight of the Amuar."

Even auto shops have test drives to make sure everything is working correctly, and to burn off any greasy fingerprints on the transmission or so.

14108616263410.jpg

Pimp my ride.

Back