Just bought three boxes of Reliant Gun Platforms - now what?

Get more Reliant Gun Platforms?

• No, three are enough. What are you - on dope?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, get one more box! The NRA says it's perfectly legal!

• Yes, two boxes are twice as good as one box!

• Total voters

chris_valera

Mongoose
Alright, SST is on its last legs, but that doesn't mean I'm taking a break.

So I have three boxes of Reliant Guin Platforms, and I'm thinking I'll just assmble them as shown in the picture; three sets of twin 50s, the laser and the missile launcher.

What the size value of these things? How many per Priority Level?

I want to base up the platform itself, and I'm just wondering what size base I should use and if I can mount the figures to the base, instead of them having to be seperate.

And would it be worth getting three more boxes of them? Keep in mind I have five core boxes worth of MI, so my army's pretty huge.

Yeah, it's crazy, but the FLGS has them on sale so... *evil grin*

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

SST will do fine. However, I like my Mobile Infantry...well...mobile. 3 is enough. What you need now is paint, a brush, then an opponent.

If you like playing a lot of scenario type missions, then you can never have enough reliants, but for standard games (now and in SST:Evo) you probably won't use more than 3. The most I've ever seen used in a 2000pt game was 4 (and I don't think it was very effective).

Voracioustigger said:
If you like playing a lot of scenario type missions, then you can never have enough reliants, but for standard games (now and in SST:Evo) you probably won't use more than 3. The most I've ever seen used in a 2000pt game was 4 (and I don't think it was very effective).

Ooo, I have to argue against that :)

3-4 Reliants armed with Twin-Fifties can hold an entire flank on their own against Warrior Bugs. That much firepower is a beauty to behold!

Aaaah MSprange's legendary love for massed Twin 50s.

I would say 3 boxes are enough but that's just my opinion. I like to keep my Mobile Infantry mobile ;)

I want to get 4 boxes so far . . . . massive firepower, as Matt pointed out.

I always prefer to attack, but I shall try the defence. . . .

(The bug player): I have a dire fear of them lasers... Twin50's is scary, but you can squeeze your way through that... the laser... that puts a fear of fireylancingdeath into you... it actually forces the bugplayer not to swarm so tightly or to use extraordinary measures to slay the damn thing...

Or a reacting/"oh I think I'll shoot you twice with each of these" missilelauncher... thats just mean... Like the MI doesnt pack enough punch to slay all big things over ground anyways...

(MI player): Does wonderfully take that Mobile from the Mobile Infantry... also known as Plasma Bait... And an automatic lovefest with tunnellers...

(Skinnieplayer) I laugh at your puny human technology! (Overheard many times in battles right before the fat lady sings ((That would be firestorming flamberge)))

Myself has 3 Boxes of Reliant Boxes because i want 3 twin fifty Autocannons. I wish I have more of them but I have to paint a playable Army first!

What, weapons on Reliants count as infinite? I thought pack weapons were still pack weapons, and ready were still ready?

So the javelin and rapier attachments would still be ready/shoot, with no reaction?

Personally I only have one box of Reliants, but I magnetised them and bought a few spare weapons: 2 Javelins, 2 Twin-50s, 2 Scythes, 1 Bugbroom, 1 Flamer, 1 Rapier.

I imagine a good combo would be 2 twin 50s for that mid-range shredding power, and another using a laser for that long range bug streamy piercing goodness.

Thinking about it... I know a Reliant needs a model on its rear axis to fire, but does it need 2 crew? (as provided in the box) or simply 2 size points? (so only one marauder or exo)

I believe it needs two crew to turn it into a Squad weapon, otherwise with one it's effectively pack. Don't count on it though I'm not at home I don't have my books on me.

msprange said:
Voracioustigger said:

Ooo, I have to argue against that :)

3-4 Reliants armed with Twin-Fifties can hold an entire flank on their own against Warrior Bugs. That much firepower is a beauty to behold!

Sprange has obvioulsy never met my bug army of doom...

13 hoppers coming in from off the board up to 48" will make short work of those reliants.... And THEN the warrior bugs advance!

And he'll be a sitting duck because I'll choose Probe tactics to give us a small board.

I play LAMIs, but would say they're pretty slow even without adding reliants...
And don't like using them too much except for convincing my opponent I'll take Defend tactics.

Er, sell them :)
'cos any bug player with an ounce of brains just places his tunnel exits under them in setup, thus rendering them totally useless.....

doh...

I've got twelve, used them twice :(

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
chris_valera said:
Alright, SST is on its last legs

IS IT BOAT!

Well judging by the mass amount of people selling off their collections, all their stores blowing out their inventory at a deep discount...

At this point, just be happy we play at all...

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

chris_valera said:
Lieutenant Rasczak said:
chris_valera said:
Alright, SST is on its last legs

IS IT BOAT!

Well judging by the mass amount of people selling off their collections, all their stores blowing out their inventory at a deep discount...

At this point, just be happy we play at all...

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

There actually seem to be quite a few new players actually getting in now though. A lot of players have liked SST a lot but never picked it up, so now that building an army that is already half the cost of GW armies is now up to 50% off, how can you pass it up?

:(

WELL, i have not bought any of the RELIANTS or smaller MG due to tight money, so i have had to fight with plain ole powersuit MI and LAMI troopers todate.

it has been tough at times, especially for those foot slogging LAMI troopers who lack the mobility of the powersuit joes/jolenes facing off against BUGS and more recently SKINNIES . . .

now that said, i have been having about a 50/50 win loss ratio, using just MORITA AR/GL combos, and those snub-nosed man portable rocket launchers. i use lots of MORITA launched grenade ammo in my fights todate, something some folks do not bother with.

my thought always was that there is apparently nothing that keeps the BUGS from erupting out of the ground from beneath the RELIANTs followed byxin loi, mon oi!

i am interested in the long range shootiness of the HEL weapons, but do not like their lack of mobility (see above).

has anyone got a cunning plan to get these RELIANTS into position, and keep them in action for more than one or two turns?

DAWGIE

Back