High G Maneouvres?

EldritchFire

Mongoose
High Guard allows for ships to be made without artificial gravity, and thus no inertial damperner-like tech. But I can't find anything about pulling high Gs and how that affects a character.

The closest thing I found is high/low G worlds, but that doesn't help figure out what to do when in a ship pulling 3Gs acceleration and feeling each G.

Is there something I'm missing, or perhaps something in an earlier edition that I could look into?

AnotherDilbert said:
I think TNE (probably FF&S) had some rudimentary rules for this. Something like a DM-1 on all tasks for each G.

I have no idea what those abbreviations mean, this is my first exposure to Traveller.

The DM-1 thing made it to 2e in the high/low-G world thing.

EldritchFire said:
AnotherDilbert said:
I think TNE (probably FF&S) had some rudimentary rules for this. Something like a DM-1 on all tasks for each G.
I have no idea what those abbreviations mean, this is my first exposure to Traveller.

The DM-1 thing made it to 2e in the high/low-G world thing.
Sorry, that is supposed to mean Traveller New Era and Fire, Fusion & Steel respectively.

Checking it was worse than I remembered:
Beyond these levels, all tasks are performed at one difficulty level higher (+1 Diff Mod) per G-turn applied.

EldritchFire said:
High Guard allows for ships to be made without artificial gravity, and thus no inertial damperner-like tech. But I can't find anything about pulling high Gs and how that affects a character.

The closest thing I found is high/low G worlds, but that doesn't help figure out what to do when in a ship pulling 3Gs acceleration and feeling each G.

Is there something I'm missing, or perhaps something in an earlier edition that I could look into?

the -1 DM per Gee pulled would be a bit extreme while piloting a craft. WWII pilots pulled 3-6 Gees for short periods of time routinely in combat. and Dive bomber pilots were pulling 9 Gees when they pulled out of their bomb runs. Flight controls and pilots couches for high-performance craft would be adapted to make flying them under expected Gee loads. You're only moving your hands, feet, and head. I pulled 3 gees while flying with a friend and doing some basic aerobatics, I had no issues with controlling the aircraft.
My piloting skills weren't that great but extremely tight rapid turns Immelman turns and loops were not that difficult to pull off.( if you have a competitive aerobatics pilot right next to you ready to take over if you botch it)

However, anything that requires getting up and moving around, fine motor control, or tool manipulation, yeah that would probably accurate.

the bigest issue of not having G-compensators would be endurance, not dexterity. pulling 3 gees for a few seconds at a time wasn't tiring, but experiencing higher than normal gravity would quickly tire you. A person would have to be carrying around 3-6 times their weight for extended periods in a non-gravity hull. just getting up and walking to the fresher might feel like you climbed a flight of stairs in wearing yourself in a backpack with your arms full of groceries.

I'm asking for continuous Gs, not Gs pulled during manoeuvres in combat.

Bog-standard constant acceleration to get from Point A to Point B. A luxury liner going from Earth to Mars isn't going to be going much faster than 1G, while a cargo ship coming from the asteroid belt can pull 1.5 or 2Gs for how long before the crew can't take it?

EldritchFire said:
I'm asking for continuous Gs, not Gs pulled during manoeuvres in combat.

Bog-standard constant acceleration to get from Point A to Point B. A luxury liner going from Earth to Mars isn't going to be going much faster than 1G, while a cargo ship coming from the asteroid belt can pull 1.5 or 2Gs for how long before the crew can't take it?

Ah,okay. That's a bit trickier to nail down.

someone posted on another thread that people can become acclimated to 1.5-2 Gees fairly well. If someone is regularly exposed to Hi-gee they would probably be fairly effective in it, experiencing fatigue from the extra exertion.

I think without medical intervention in increasing degrees, I wouldn't expose passengers and crew to more than one point two constant inertiated acceleration.

Artificial gravity and inertial compensators is a pretty good investment as a twenty five thousand schmucker add-on, though for commercial vessels, it should be a lot cheaper, since they won't be pulling nine, sixteen, or even twenty five gees.

Of course, the cheapest alternative is to hollow out an asteroid, where it's a freebie.

wbnc said:
the -1 DM per Gee pulled would be a bit extreme while piloting a craft.

Remember that TNE has a different skill range than MgT.

That being said also remember there are fewer forces acting on your crew in space combat, so I would expect transitory g-loading on the operators would not be that severe.... Now trying to effect Damage Control under a multi g loading would be more of an issue...

Infojunky said:
wbnc said:
the -1 DM per Gee pulled would be a bit extreme while piloting a craft.

Remember that TNE has a different skill range than MgT.

That being said also remember there are fewer forces acting on your crew in space combat, so I would expect transitory g-loading on the operators would not be that severe.... Now trying to effect Damage Control under a multi g loading would be more of an issue...

I remember the skill rates were different but it has been a few years since I cracked open TNE to refresh my memory. when I use MGT, Pathfinder,DnD5.0, Gurps, and a couple of older games like Lords Of Creation on a regular basis room in memory banks gets limited :D

Most assuredly. massive difference betweens getting in an acceleration couch moving your hands and feet, and trying to wrestle a 10 pound piece of gear that now weighs 20-40 pounds. Or trying to brush your teeth after pulling three gees for the last 8 hours.

It doesn't seem like much for a wrench to double its weight. but considering that the change in weight changes how difficult it is to manipulate an object. Or, make precise movements when your hand is double or triple it's normal wieght. fatigue sets in fast, and with fatigue manual dexterity is right out the window.

Also remember that in TNE, one space round was 30 minutes. So this is that G force for the entire 30 minutes, not a spike at the bottom of your dive.
G-couches, G-suits both mitigated the penalties involved, so for instance with both, you could pull 3Gs (for 30 minutes!) with no ill effect.

Back