is the federation the perfect society?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, one way of getting all these 40k players into ST is to convert their armies over into the ST rules. Use a creative naming scheme to avoid the IP lawyers, and voila.

You can use some 40k armies in ST almost as is, such as Space Marines, Imperial Guard, and Tyrannids, but it's probably better to convert them to avoid confusion.

Once these players get a taste of the rules and other games in general, I'm sure a good number will shift their monthly gaming money towards ST.

And no, Mongoose is not owned by WotC, or at least there's a very little chance it is. A WotC company wouldn't be doing this sort of thing, they've be making some sort of Starship Troopers clicky collectable minis game. They make some D20 and OGL products, but if that meant ownership, then WotC/Hasbro would already be a megacorporation.

wotc has damaged star wars franchise enough as it is. i was really hoping that a true miniuture war game would be produced for star wars. oh well, it looks l will be useing theses sst rules for star wars battles :wink:

The Star Wars rpg was better off in the hands of West End Games. Their minatures for the game were also tops. I can't understand what wotc is doing with it's d&d or star wars minature lines.

I'm sure if you look on ebay you can find the old West End handbook for Star Wars minature battles.

WotC got stung by their Chainmail miniature line. Then they saw that Wizkids was making money hand over fist with Mage Knight. They put two and two together and got five. Now we get prepainted, bent-up miniatures that appeal to collectors with more money that sense. I know what that's like. I used to buy collectable card games. What a waste.

I long for the days when the D&D minatures were produced by ral partha.

i have found that no one army is over powered or unbetable.[/quote]

have u played chaos lately, or ever.......[/quote]

yes, my regular opponents play chaos and i'll admit the first time i played the new army i made the fulish mistake of beliving my marines could take em in close combat. th game lasted 3 turns. :cry: i was massicared. Recently i have found no problem betting them. all it took was a new stratigy, some difrent thinking and presto dead chaos demon princes. i think the bigest problem with 40k is stagnation. people pay so much for a army that they never change it. so when somthing new comes along they are ill equped to deal with it. (i'm guilty of it too, my marines only recently changed to fight chaos) :wink:

i play tau and well i use an awful lot of battlesuits, and few vehicles (1) and few infantry... now im finding that while effective, id overall be doing better with alot more vehicles (+3) and notably Id like to add some of the new forge world goodies...

yeah a redesign of my army would cost roughly 240$

and thats just for 2000points! Uggg

Stagnation is a big deal with 40k

I have a TAU force also. I have already contemplted picking up the forge world crisis suits but i will wait and see what SST brings to the table. I did buy the wotc star wars rebel storm and clone strike minis but i am cured of it now because of the quality of the clone strike set. d20 is not the best thing that ever happened to star wars or rpgs for that matter. mutants and masterminds by green ronin is the lone exception in my opinion.

Well, I think IG cadians are the best and easiest conversion army. Using stormtroopers as armored MI and cadians as 'light' movie MI is very straightforward. And of course most of the support weapons are directly analagous.

Tau would make great armored MI and their battlesuits great marauders.

"nids would make great...BUGS, of course. But they are a bit small.

All this is only if you already have those armies, of course. It is much cheaper to buy Mongoose stuff and use it for 40K than the other way around. But if you have some of it, it will make for a good way to try out the game without spending a lot of dough. I THINK the rules are going to be available for $15 or $20 solo. But the basic box set is so reasonable...and for $75 it has $125 of stuff bought seperately. Heck, you could always sell all the models on ebay or bartertown ifyou just ended up wanting the rules and not the figs.

I am sympathetic to people who must play what their gaming community plays, but I really think that the game will sell itself once your friends are playing it. The open flow of the player turn and intense interaction at close range will make the game exciting and realistic - much better than many 40K games I have played.

You know.... having a trading forum here wouldn't be a bad thing.

PPS has one (The Great Bodgers Scrapyard) and the rules are simple.

1-They have no responsibilities for trades/Deals. Deal at your own risk.
2-Deals cannot be strickly for cash.
3-You must trade for or with, PPS products.
4- Moderators reserve the right to ban offenders of the rules from that forum.

So say you buy the starter box, but don't wanna play MI. I buy a Box set and don't want my bugs? That forum would allow you to meet people who want to trade/deal in Moongoose products for Mongoose products.

Bobby Hostile said:
So say you buy the starter box, but don't wanna play MI. I buy a Box set and don't want my bugs? That forum would allow you to meet people who want to trade/deal in Moongoose products for Mongoose products.
That's a very cool idea. Do you know if there have been any problems with the PPS system? (Fraud does, unfortunately, come to mind.)

I think we could agree that alot of the Starship Troopers players will come from a 40k background. Therefore I think that it would be a good idea if there were some generic rules for bringing in your own "Alien" models and trying out the game system. I think players would be more receptive to the new game if they felt they could use their existing miniatures.

40k has 2 things going for it, cool models and everyone plays it. So far Starship Troopers has cool models and quite potentially a good game system. I have never been too fond of 40k as a rule set, so I think Starship Troopers may excel at this. When that becomes known 40k players will want to try. If they enjoy the system they will buy the game.

I think that would help to get the game going and would open the door for Mongoose to introduce other races or factions etc at a later date.

Just a thought.

yeah converting an army, i did the same thing for aetherverse.... great game it just cost me $30 for the rulebook.... and i just used my old GW stuff.... take that GW!!!!!!!!

Otterway said:
Bobby Hostile said:
That's a very cool idea. Do you know if there have been any problems with the PPS system? (Fraud does, unfortunately, come to mind.)

AFAIK, there's been a couple of misunderstands, a lost package and that's about it.

No real cries of "Thief!" yet. It's been up a couple of years. The one unyeilding rule is "PP Product must be exchanged" if you want to post. Some people miss that, but are gentlely reminded to read the FAQ by other posters.

Rarely, if ever, does a mod have to step in. I wrote the guidelines for the Forum on how to deal with possible fraud and to my knowledge, nobody has yet had to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back