is the federation the perfect society?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
the models are decent quality but the prices are way out there and i to hope mongoose topples GW andthey have the full support of me and my limited resources (money)

been here from the start old boy and as LBH once said I am at the moment the only greater spotted mongoose around but that aside welcome too the boards old boy it is good to see more meat for the grinder :D and am really looking forward to SST

toothill man said:
Know I will buy the roleplaying game and everything published for it but might give serous thought too the minis.hell the graphic novels are on my list so why not the minis too.(havent a clue how too paint etc)

One suggestion which might be useful here - buy some minis to paint up for setting up scenes in the RPG first, and use that to get used to them and to help collect them. Buying the game and seeing those piles of minis to assemble before you can play the miniatures game could be a little intimidating and put you off, but assembling half a dozen troopers and bugs would give you enough to set up some of the RPG combat scenes without having to put in too much effort.

As far as painting goes, I'm fairly certain Mongoose have something set up either in the box or going into S&P.

i really hope mongoose kicks GW somewhere where it hurts ALOT.

the models look great IMHO. accounting that mongoose doesnt have experience with minis for ages like GW
(oh and i dont mean to downplay the quality of the figs with that sentence :D)

oh and im gonna get a lot of MI, and bugs too.
at least a full platoon and maybe another too :D and 60 warriors.

now ive got to find out how long its gonna take to make such an army :D`S

From my experience, an anti GW rant such as this, will only damage Mongoose in the long run.

How do I know?

I have been playing GW products for over 16 years now (and still do). I have seen rivals come and go.

Two years ago, while I was in Hong Kong for a year, I became a Press Ganger for WarMachine, and made massive head ways into the local GW croud there, but not once did I run GW down, this earnt me and WarMachine a large following (about half of the hardcore gamers (around 30)) and everyone stil plays both GW and WarMachine.

Last year I came back to Australia, and I was eager to become involved in the WarMachine scene here as well. But had found that the local Press Gangers (and I do mean everyone of them) were very anti-GW and still are to this day. What this has ment for them is they tend to have only a very small amount of gamers each.

Why?

Imagine, you have been playing your game for the past few years, and are even enjoying it. Then one day you meet someone who is playing a game you have never seen before, the mins look cool, so you start asking questions about the game. The Press Ganger, then, as a way of converting you, tells you that the game(s) you have been playing are indeed crap, and that you should come on over to this new "better" game, and that the company you have been supporting is crap, and everything they do is evil (dont worry guys, I have seen and heard this with my own eyes from my local Press Ganger).

What would you do? Get up and leave? Or stay to find the "new way"?

But I still play the game, accually I still play 40k and WarMachine, and have even got a small group of regular gamers who play WarMachine AND 40k, these were turned off the game by the local WarMachine reprasentative (spelling? ) none of us have dropped GW, but we all play both.

And as a side note, I have more WM gamers then the PGer!

Sure promote the game, have fun with it, but you must also respect not only other peoples opinions but other companies as well.

Also, dont you think that someone from GW is trolling these forums?

But anyway, I have made my pre-order through the warstore, and am eagerly awaiting its arival, as are the others in my gaming group!

SO lets see, I will be supporting, not only Mongoose, but Privateer Press AND GamesWorkshop.

I wish Mongoose the best, I really do.

Lonestar you are very right. Aggression isnt a very good way of showing how good a game is.

on the other hand, with my sentence i simply want to express that GW's near monopoly isnt a very good. none ever are. (hell and im still a wh40k fan, sadly a friend of mine silently accuses me of being a GW fanboy.......but then wanting to have 10k points of CSM and necrons aint that bad.)

Warmachine is a nice game too. it simply never caught my attention as greatly as SST, cause warjacks dont seem to play too great a role. (well not one as big as i hoped).

i really hope that SST doesnt stray from the MI greatly, but then i dont think it ever will :D

Voronesh said:
Lonestar you are very right. Aggression isnt a very good way of showing how good a game is.
on the other hand, with my sentence i simply want to express that GW's near monopoly isnt a very good. none ever are.

I think that's pretty much the same sentiment most here are trying to express... everyone's fed up with GW's pricing, not with their games themselves. Personally I'm a huge fan of GW's LotR game, and have been buying products from them in some shape or form way back in the days when they made all those licensed RPGs.
Some good, healthy competition is what's needed and something like SST could be just the thing to eat into their monthly sales figures and give them the incentive to get out there and fight for customers instead of their current complacent "lets sit back and let them come to us" attitude.
Competition is good, and is pretty much necessary for the consumer to get the best products at the best prices. If SST can go head-to-head with 40K, then we should end up seeing the best possible products on both sides of the fence, and competitive prices to boot. The customers get a big win all around.

So now we just need a Mongoose fantasy game to drive Warhammer/LotR prices down a bit :D

Some good points here, sounds like the Press Gangers are not very well run.

The guidelines for MI specifically state we are not to degrade other game systems or manufacturers. As representatives of Mongoose we treat other companies and fans of their games with respect.

--
Lane

Whoa, lets not paint an entire program with a broad brush. You may have had a bad experience with a PG'er, but to conclude the program is not well run is grossly unfair. In fact the Press Gang is well organized and supported.
I have been involved with many such programs, and every one of them, including the Press Gang, provides guidelines that include NOT bashing any other product.
I'm sorry that you encountered a spoiled apple and guarantee that not everyone in the program conducts themselves in that fashion.

Lane Shutt said:
Some good points here, sounds like the Press Gangers are not very well run.
Lane

Just the ones here in Australia, I have had no experience with other PGer's other then with direct contact with Privateer Press its self, and they have been amazing, and I am in no way accussing them of anything. Infact they were very disapointed with what has been happening here....

GW is not a monopoly, they just produce there own product, and only there own product. Just like Mongoose produces its own product, what will happen in 20 years with Starship Troopers? Will Mongoose be seen as a monopoly as well?

But what I also find amuseing is how people will complain about how GW prices thier product, but you never here about how thier product is out of stock, or has missed its release date, and we the consumer have come to expect that GW release what they do when they say (some times they bugger thier prices or amounts per blister), but they are a very large company, that has been through missing stock levels etc.

While smaller, newer companies, (and I will use Warmachine as an example) can completely miss the impact thier product will have on the market, WM was out of stock for months! And it is only resently they have increased thier production to meet the awsome responce for thier game. And with the release of thier expansion set, the amount of new minatures was significantly lower then the first set.

And we all know about the delays with SST, but these things happen.

As for GW priceing, I have been useing GW products for over 16 years, and can remember when you could get 3 rhinos in a box for $30 AU and 2 Land Raiders in a box for about the same price. A single rhino now costs $55 AU.

Dont you think the same will happen with every other company out there?

So what do I do when I am running a demo (but not any official one's, the Press Gangers here dont like my style) and I encounter fellow 40k players or Fantasy players and they want to compair the different game systems? Most expect for negative comparisons, you know, its better then 40k because....... You may of ran into that sort of thing as well and you know what I mean.

Why not, you really can not compare them, each system is a good system, each has thier good points and bad, and then if they are still interested (as many are) the merits of the game, as well as the limitations.

SO whats my point?

In the very near future, starship troopers is going to be released to the world, and the number one forums these gamers will be visiting, well, will be here...... and we dont want to turn away people from these forums becuase of these bad sentiments running throught the forums.

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back