is the federation the perfect society?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
at least it isn't as bad as the sticky at the top, 4 pages on whether women should serve in the armed forces and all because one person asked if there were gonna be any women models.............

im glad i wsnt there. i accidently made comments like thos mentioned before (on women in combat) and i had a shite storm rain down on me from people calling me sexist and stuff....

if you want a master class on off topic try the monkey tread on the what you think mongoose should publish next forum its something I am very proud of 8) :lol:

Holy. Damn this forum goes offtopic easy. kinda. Wow. Nice post. o.o"
46 posts. has to be a record. Aitn reading it tho. Aint that sad.

toothill man said:
been here from the start old boy and as LBH once said I am at the moment the only greater spotted mongoose around but that aside welcome too the boards old boy it is good to see more meat for the grinder :D and am really looking forward to SST

Yep - even beats old Hass 8)

I think to believe that the (limited) competition that SST would pose to 40K (one of three core games) would sting GW in any sort of way and trigger some bizarre price reduction move is a tad on the niave side.

Things are espechially expensive for the yanks thanks to the protectionist policies of their govenment, thank Mr Bush for that one.

Anonymous said:
Things are espechially expensive for the yanks thanks to the protectionist policies of their govenment, thank Mr Bush for that one.

That door swings both ways from what my friends across the pond say. 40K is an expensive game here & Warmachine is expensive there. My advice, everyone play with what makes you happy & let the market decide what companies go broke & not.

As far as "protectionist polocies" go, about 5 years ago an unprovoked attack killed thousands of Americans out of the blue. It kinda makes sence to watch your back after that sort of loss. :roll:

Anonymous said:
I think to believe that the (limited) competition that SST would pose to 40K (one of three core games) would sting GW in any sort of way and trigger some bizarre price reduction move is a tad on the niave side.

dont know about america but GW is expensive in its native country before it travels the world(yes I am assuming the models are made in the UK and could be easly wrong)

I think my objection would be to the word limited I have been to mongoose towers on saturday and seen the armys painted and they are even to a non table top gamer of the highest quallity I have seen there is promised lots if differant types of bugs and alot of other stuff coming.there is also the roleplaying game and the graphic novel line which is brilliant(got first 1 and really need to see 2 now always a sign it is quallity)

mongoose are throwing everything at this sucker including ther best writers like august and this game may be the first to get me to the tabletop ever that means even at this mainly unreleased stage this is going to be awesome not to my mind limited :shock:

GW makes its product in the UK, though the US does make some of its own stock (as far as I'm aware it's limited to metals.)

To be honest most of the complaining about prices that I read on forums tends to be from Americans. I personally never really felt especially gouged in the UK, I currently do seven hobbies and this is the second cheapest, and that’s only thanks to student edition 3D software.

It has to be said that some people also appear to have a warped sense of how much stuff they need for an army, the intended size for a 40K army is 1500pts, not 2,000-3000, I never could understand people who wanted 10,000 of this, that or the other, when are you ever going to use it? Anyway all the comparisons (as invalid as they are from the start) use the Imperial Guard, the acknowledged army for veterans (i.e. adults with a disposable income) who are I might add a damn sight cheaper than they used to be, thanks to plastics.

Well I hope SST is successful, simply because I like ACTA and don't want to see this become Mongoose's Turning point, and also because I sit with crossed fingers for some proper power suits and aircraft, without having to pay hand over fist for difficult to source Japanese garage kits.

When I say limited, I’m responding to those who've clearly been listening to too much Rage Against the Machine and want to "smash the system" (whatever that may be.) When I did the initial post I had a rambling bit about the limited influence of Wizards of The Coast and how they were never really a competitor for GW in most of the world because where as they fight with others over the specific Wargaming/RPG/TCG/Tatty prepainted models market. GW just creates its own market and customer base, its never really shown any concerted interest in getting into the bear pit that is the general US market, its fickle to say the least and very prone to fads and crazes (TCGs, whatever new game happens to be out this month, White Wolf’s latest faction source book for Head in a Jar: The Frustration etc.)

Hence their plans to shift away from primary reliance on independent retailers, where their product is stocked next to other companies’ and over to more of a focus on setting up their own hobby centres, the power house of their success.

I don't believe that if the kids weren't getting into LOTR they would be getting into Warmachine or Confrontation (eww). The fact is Mongoose will be going into the same market as those systems and will not make any in roads into 40K, WFB or whatever. Outside of the US the vast majority of GW customers will never go near the sort of store that stocks the "competition" and those that will, will either swing between systems (be it TCG tabletop or whatever) as the mood and cash flow takes them or will be sufficiently wealthy that they can support multiple hobbies (i.e. more adults with a disposable income.)

As I say I ain't bashing mongoose (why the hell would I want to? I play their games) but the "rising of the proletariat" belief is at best naive and at worst down right foolish. I've certainly heard it all before with Warmachine with predictable results.

I agree that ST will make its own crowd. I disagree that none will come from 40K. The stores here are dying to popularize other systems because they 'hate dealing with GW' (i hear that over and over and over and OVER again!). One retailer who moved $25,000 of GW merchandise in one month is dying for something to kick 40K around.

And personally, while I love the figures, the game mechanics of 40K are so boring that I am giving it up for ST. The IG army is first to go, shortly thereafter followed by unpainted necrons, Witch Hunters, etc. I admit, I will continue WFB because it is clumsy but an interesting game.

Also, IG isn't the only expensive army around. It has been shown by me and dozens of others that even a mediocre Space Marine army costs $400 to 800 dollars, depending on options. And I'm talking about 2500 points worth that get rotated, as needed, into 1500 to 2000 point armies. My Necron army retailed for $500 when it came out, and it has about 2500 points.

So what I think we'll see is a little of everything: some new players, some converts, and some people who will play LESS 40K but not give it up, and switch to ST for a primary game.

Having played it, it certainly is a helluva lot more interesting.

Finally, I don't know where GW makes their stuff, but I should think the plastics are made in China like everything else it these days. british manufacturing hasn't been able to compete with asia for about 30 years or so.

I agree that ST will make its own crowd. I disagree that none will come from 40K. The stores here are dying to popularize other systems because they 'hate dealing with GW' (i hear that over and over and over and OVER again!). One retailer who moved $25,000 of GW merchandise in one month is dying for something to kick 40K around.

And personally, while I love the figures, the game mechanics of 40K are so boring that I am giving it up for ST. The IG army is first to go, shortly thereafter followed by unpainted necrons, Witch Hunters, etc. I admit, I will continue WFB because it is clumsy but an interesting game.

Also, IG isn't the only expensive army around. It has been shown by me and dozens of others that even a mediocre Space Marine army costs $400 to 800 dollars, depending on options. And I'm talking about 2500 points worth that get rotated, as needed, into 1500 to 2000 point armies. My Necron army retailed for $500 when it came out, and it has about 2500 points.

So what I think we'll see is a little of everything: some new players, some converts, and some people who will play LESS 40K but not give it up, and switch to ST for a primary game.

Having played it, it certainly is a helluva lot more interesting.

Finally, I don't know where GW makes their stuff, but I should think the plastics are made in China like everything else it these days. british manufacturing hasn't been able to compete with asia for about 30 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back