Foreven, What do You Want to See?

I will admit that for the longest time the success of the d66 lists has baffled me. A line of products that is one page long, has no art, essentially no time is spent promoting them that cost 50 cents each and month after month they outperform all my multi page pathfinder releases with a sizable art budget, all new crunch, and considerable time spent in making sure it is balanced that needs constant promotion or sales fall off the face of the earth that cost anywhere from $2-$6.

Its like stand up comics say, "You can spend all your time coming up with amazing, sophisticated comedy routines, but the real money is the poop and fart jokes."

I would enjoy your take on Foreven.

Personally, I have thought of creating a quarterly fanzine which would include a different persons take on this sector.

As for my view, I hate reinventing the wheel. That said, IMTU Foreven, Beyond, Far Frontiers & Vanguard Reaches are part of a 'new' Domain - Beyond (this just expands the sandbox from one to four sectors). I thought of this as a means to give single system & multi system Client States 'quicker' Imperial help, PCs a perceived safety net and a place to put PCs that obtained a Noble rank higher than Baronet during CarGen that gave them a base but still provide a means and reason for adventuring.

dmccoy1693 said:
I will admit that for the longest time the success of the d66 lists has baffled me. A line of products that is one page long, has no art, essentially no time is spent promoting them that cost 50 cents each and month after month they outperform all my multi page pathfinder releases with a sizable art budget, all new crunch, and considerable time spent in making sure it is balanced that needs constant promotion or sales fall off the face of the earth that cost anywhere from $2-$6.

Their cheapness may be a factor. Plus maybe there's so many of them now that they've triggered the Collector gene in people and they just have to get them all ;).

Personally what gets me is that I can't fathom why anyone would even need them. Coming up with names or the other things on the lists isn't that hard - particularly not for a GM, who pretty much has to be imaginative on the fly. So who the heck is buying them?

Maybe it's not even that people need them because they're having imagination failures, maybe it's because they just like rolling up random results on tables (which wouldn't surprise me, given that this is Traveller we're talking about).

Wil Mireu said:
Personally what gets me is that I can't fathom why anyone would even need them. Coming up with names or the other things on the lists isn't that hard - particularly not for a GM, who pretty much has to be imaginative on the fly. So who the heck is buying them?

I'm actually the kind of person that actually needs them. I once named a planet in a star wars game I ran Yaffa after those blocks on tv because I saw the commercial less than an hour before. Bob was a regular npc name in my exalted game for someone so insignificant that I didn't bother to name during prep, but all of the sudden, he needs a name now. Finally, one of my players told me to write a list of names during prep. Many of the early d66s were lists I actually used in my Traveller games.

I know what you mean, Bob was a staple name for insignificant NPCs for me for years personally I bought the d66 compendium in print at Spirit Games hear in the Midlands UK and the PDF at DriveThru to have on my machine for writing stuff. I'm going to be running a solo campaign for myself using the Mythic GM emulator and am going to find the d66 lists very helpful due to the random nature of Mythic events. I wouldn't mind seeing another d66 compendium or two. If you did it Dale you'd get paid from me at least.

I've pondered this for years and years... lost sleep over it... it's been nagging at the back of my mind, distracting me endlessly and I can't take it no more...

How the hell to you pronounce Foreven? :lol:

Is it (4-VEN) or (4-EVEN... as in "long"e-ven)

I know it's a silly question, but I still want to know... :p

Back