Expanding grappling

I made a grappler NPC for one encounter. Worked kinda well since my players weren't ready for it. The grappler basically held one of the PCs while low-level mook thieves would sneak him. Only thing is, both in the grapple are at a great disadvantage to their foes not involved.

urdinaran said:
I made a grappler NPC for one encounter. Worked kinda well since my players weren't ready for it. The grappler basically held one of the PCs while low-level mook thieves would sneak him. Only thing is, both in the grapple are at a great disadvantage to their foes not involved.

There is a combat maneuver in the core book. It is called Human shield. Prereq is Improved grapple. Circumstance: if you are grappling and you dealt damage earlier this roud to your grappled foe, you can use him to parry attacks. It grants a parry bonus which is figured out somehow. On a second attack to you from another foe, your grappled opponent will sustain damage if you block the second attack with him, which in some cases, it might prevent other foes from attacking you furhter. Like if you grapple a nobleman, and are using him as a shield, hopefully (for their own sake) his followers are smart enough to see that if they keep attacking, they can harm their master.

Back