Twinks-only post

Anybody got any great Twink ideas for characters in conan?

Since any character is awesome at 20th, I'd set the limit ~level 6 for a good Twinking. This is an experiment in numbers crunching rather than for roleplaying or legit character purposes. Again, nobody is trying to PLAY these characters.

Base rules are level 6, any combination, any variant rules, any useable feats, with base stats 18,16,16, and three 10s (among any attributes).

Here are the ones I've got thus far:

6th level Scholar with Spawn of Dagoth Hill, Opportunistic Sacrifice and Greater Telekinesis. Has a 24 Dex (18 initial, putting a +1 at lv4 and another at lv6 makes 20, +2 for spawn of Dagoth Hill,+2 for corruption effect 7 on page 191 of rulebook). He lays out 10 bardiches on the ground (only 80 silver pieces!) and flings them at the opponent with a +12 attack roll (+7 dex, +4 base, point blank range feat). Almost always hits, deals 20d10 damage in the first round, regains many power points from the death (opportunistic sacrifice).

2nd level Soldier/1st level Barbarian/3rd level Borderer Darfari. Uses a Face of Gullah from the pict book (Fierce variant rule on 97), has skill specialization in Intimidate, Craft Mask, craft (herbalism) and Knowledge (nature) to gather Ignis weed, allowing Fighting Madness more or less at will. With a Flamberge, uses the Flexible Combat style from Fiercest (borderer 3) to take Improved Critical. When in Fighting Madness has a strength of 30, yielding a +15 damage with the Flamberge. Uses Power Attack (pit fighter variant from Fiercest p 16) to pull 3 points from the attack roll to add 6 more damage, and one more from having a well-crafted weapon (Tito's Guide). Uses Steely Gaze (with intimidation that gets a +10 from strength due to intimidation variant in Fiercest) to make the opponent's massive damage save more difficult by 2 as a free action. Deals 2d10+22, armor piercing any creature in the game and forcing a fort save versus massive damage every time he hits, DC between 24 and 31 (26 and 33 if demoralized). 2 attacks, +13 and +8, uses Cleave to ensure that all opponents within range die on his initiative. Critical threat on a 15-20.

3rd level Scholar/3rd level Bossonian Martial Disciple (signs and portents): Uses Fell hand discipline to strike an opponent using their Magic attack bonus rather than parry or dodge defense (meaning he only misses most comparable characters on a 1-2). Uses his Wisdom of 20 to use Gelid Bones on a successful unarmed attack, forcing a Will save at DC 1d20+9 using Agaric (herb from Tito's) or the opponent is paralyzed for 3 hours. Fights defensively (+2), has defensive martial arts (+2), is Bossonian (+2), uses dodge feat (+1), Tumble over 5 (+1), Dex mod (+3), Wisdom mod from MD 3 (+5) for a dodge value of 26 (28 under "Calm of the Adept"). Does not provoke attacks of opp with spellcasting due to Concentration 9, skill focus, and Improved Unarmed Strike. Also uses Steely Gaze to make opponent's save at -2.

6th level Pictish Thief with True Professional (from Aquilonian book) and 96 ranks in craft (body paint), with body paint focus, improved body paint focus. Has a +103 to body paint rolls, uses war paint to give himself from +28 to +34 on attack and intimidate rolls (war paint, Pict book 117). Scares pants off anybody, cannot miss with any weapon (even non-proficient ones) except on a 1.

6th level scholar from Stygia with intelligence of 20. Uses the feat (title escapes me) that allows ignoring maximum ranks in Knowledge of religions to take 21 ranks in Knowledge (Mystery:Set) and 24 ranks in Knowledge (Mystery:Seshet). Use a Knowledge is Power check DC25 to gain a Fate Point at any time (Stygia, page 62). Gets 1d20 +5 (intelligence) +6 (level) +3 (from Set's Mystery) +2-3 from Holly and Mandrake for 1d20+16 versus a 25. Gains infinite fate points. As a bonus, has a 10% experience bonus. And can make a Wisdom check to get +10 to any roll. Sweet.

These are easily criticized as stupid efforts to break game rules and they, indeed, are. I simply find it fun to create such characters as an exercize and wanted to see if anyone else does the same.

I have a very, very dull job. Anyone else?

This goes a bit off-topic, but the most stupid character concept I've though up just for laughs is a team of thieves with pikes. Their long range allows them to flank their chosen victim from quite strange directions and sneak attack them to death one at the time. The idea of someone accurately stabbing an enemy in to eye from 20 feets is quite absurd.

I like that. Combined with the Tumble ability to move out of range without provoking an AOO, that could be quite powerful. As I understand it though, you need to feint or something to sneak attack, no? I thought flanking just gave a +2 or something. Haven't really played any thieves though.

librarycharlie said:
I like that. Combined with the Tumble ability to move out of range without provoking an AOO, that could be quite powerful. As I understand it though, you need to feint or something to sneak attack, no? I thought flanking just gave a +2 or something. Haven't really played any thieves though.

Notice that since pike is a reach weapon, they get AOO when the enemy tries to approach them. Since he is flanked by other thieves wielding pikes, they all get sneak attack in their AOOs. I really don't want anyone to use this combination, as it is quite silly - just pointing out that it would be effective, especially if the thief team had all Combat Reflexes.

You are qualified for sneak attack whenever you are flanking your target or he is flatfooted or otherwise denied dodge/parry bonus to defense. With melee weapons, that is - you can't flank with ranged weapons.

If the purpose of this thread is to show how much the D20 system can be ridiculous, then I bet this gonna be a long one...
I'll be following it with attention, though...

I find it revealing that most of those munchkin builds - all except the Dagoth Hill one - rely on some splat book feat or ability. And the Dagoth Hill template is not intended for PCs, anyway.
Draw your own conclusions what that says about the quality of splats.

Still, the simplest powerbuild using just core rules is simply any sorcerer with opportunistic sacrifice. Two words, Defensive Blast. (But I have a feeling that will be over in a few days)

From LibraryChuck:

...6th level Pictish Thief with True Professional (from Aquilonian book) and 96 ranks in craft (body paint), with body paint focus, improved body paint focus. Has a +103 to body paint rolls, uses war paint to give himself from +28 to +34 on attack and intimidate rolls (war paint, Pict book 117). Scares pants off anybody, cannot miss with any weapon (even non-proficient ones) except on a 1....

I love that one!
I think I'll allow it.
Gotta love blind adherance to the rules.
Great Thread, please keep coming up with some more, you ound like you really do have an uneventful job.

Spectator said:
From LibraryChuck:

...6th level Pictish Thief with True Professional (from Aquilonian book) and 96 ranks in craft (body paint), with body paint focus, improved body paint focus. Has a +103 to body paint rolls, uses war paint to give himself from +28 to +34 on attack and intimidate rolls (war paint, Pict book 117). Scares pants off anybody, cannot miss with any weapon (even non-proficient ones) except on a 1....

I love that one!
I think I'll allow it.
Gotta love blind adherance to the rules.
Great Thread, please keep coming up with some more, you ound like you really do have an uneventful job.

Think about that build with the mating paint! No woman can resist a Pictish guy with a painted six-pack.

librarycharlie said:
6th level Pictish Thief with True Professional (from Aquilonian book) and 96 ranks in craft (body paint)...

How many ranks??
Surely he can only have a maximum of 9 ranks (unless I've missed something)

Ralph

See the "true professional" feat. Unlimited ranks in any craft skill (not alchemy or herbalism). Sane GMs would rule that body paint is also off limits for this, but hey... this is a twink post.

New Twink:
Backstabber: Zingaran 5th level thief/1st level pirate with high dexterity, maxed bluff and bluff-improving feats. Uses Improved Initiative, Ferocious Attack, and 20 dexterity to ALWAYS go first. (+11 reflex save, +5 dex [must see FAQ for why he's applying dex to both], +4 improved init, +2 Ferocious, for +22 to initiative roll). Uses Improved Feint to easily feint as a move action and uses Flamberge/Greataxe/Bardiche (whatever) for 2d10 damage.
On successful feint, deals sneak attack damage. Uses Steely Gaze to decrease opponent's survival chances. Total damage is 2d10 (weapon) + 2 (ferocious attack) +4 (17 strength with 2 handed weapon) +3d8 (thief sneak) +1d6 (Zingaran) +1d8 (light-footed). This has a damage range of 13 to 64, averaging ~38.5, forcing a massive damage fort save against a DC of 29 or so (31 for characters who failed vs Steely Gaze). This is assuming the person hit has 38 hit points to begin with...

It's fun to note that at ~10th level, one can add a level of Dancing Savage (pict book) to this build for an extra 1d6 after taking the "Picts like me" feat. At that point it's 2d10+6d8+3d6+8 damage, something that will instantly kill almost anyone (you try making a fort save with a DC around 40).

Ahh the Shadizar Feat Section; I remember the follow up feat to Steely Gaze and Menacing Aura was something that I can't remember the name of (I think it was called "scared to death" or "Dookie in the loincloth" or something) but essentially if you had enough Intimidate skill and charisma and these three feats you could raise an eyebrow and sneer a little bit and then the whole town and Thulsa Doom would run for cover if they made their saving throws, if they didn't you basically paralysed them on the spot!

Yeah you could paralyse them with fear and a sneer, rob them blind, backstab, sodomize and then sell off into slavery. What a great feat for a ruthless dude.

librarycharlie said:
New Twink:
Backstabber: Zingaran 5th level thief/1st level pirate

I think this is pretty much a legal build, although surely one optimized for killing people. In my current Conan campaign, the party thief Alcimedes is without doubt the most efficient fighter. With the Vault Over Your Opponent maneuver, improved feint and flanking he just explodes everyone in blood gibs with tremendous sneak attack damage. Well, he tends to bite the sand quite often too, so it kind of evens it out. He is currently out of fate points because of that habit. The last "death" came from friendly fire, heh. He is going for the Dancing Savage, that will certainly make him even more fearsome.

Spectator, the feat is Silence, Fool! and it requires a very high level character. IIRC it needs ~20 ranks of Intimidate or the like. Give that to Akivasha and she sucks everyone dry without breaking (a proverbial) sweat. (Since she has already mighty good Intimidate, combined with Reputation bonus if the characters facing her know who she is.)

Majestic7 said:
I think this is pretty much a legal build, although surely one optimized for killing people.

None of the players in my group have ever wanted anything else out of their character builds... :)

- thulsa

It puts me in mind of some high school 1st ed ad&d players I knew. They did the typical min maxing feat. 3 of them played mages with every stat being 18. Those 3 tossing darts around were routinely doing more damage than half ogres with long swords. Perhaps not pure twink but more of a twist of munchkinism

Back