Cinematic inspiration

I watched The Cave this weekend and an adventure based on the movie would be a real great skills based adventure - jump, swim, climb, search, balance, survival, spot, Use Rope etc.

Was Rio Bravo already mentioned?
I believe almost any Western could be included because they would fit well with the hyborian age with some adaptations.

Lando The Archmagi said:
rigante said:
The plot revolved around the good guys being on one side and the bad guys on the other. Can't remember what the film was called, but I always thought it would be ideal for a fantasy RPG scenario.

Clint Eastwood classic, The Outlaw Josey Wales had a ferry scene in it.

Few ferry scenes in some other westerns and the Beastmaster movie had one too I believe.

None of those, this was the whole film set around the backward and forward goings on of trying get across the river/ trying to stop the opthers getting across.

Sounds lame now but the movie in question had sorted out a reasonable plot around it.

The History channel is currently airing a show "Warrior Queen Boudica." It looks pretty well done thus far. 8)

Boudica's raid on Camulodunum (A.D. 60) instantly reminded me of the Cimmerian peoples sacking Venarium. It makes me wonder if Howard might have known about this episode in ancient history...Perhaps only a coincidence.

I was planning on doing an adventure ala Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. It's in the formative stages now, but I want to mirror the story- not too much, though.

I'll make the sorcerer a Stygian and have the island of Colossa(?) contain creatures produced by ancient magics. I'm taking my time with this tale, for I don't want it to be campy.

Watching "Minotaur" (starring Tom Hardy, et al.). VERY impressive production, dark and sinister. :twisted:
If you get a chance to see it, you won't be disappointed.
The story of people being dragged out of their homes and sacrificed to some horrible god/monster is perfect for a Stygian campaign.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415160/

Auggie said:
I was planning on doing an adventure ala Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. It's in the formative stages now, but I want to mirror the story- not too much, though.

I'll make the sorcerer a Stygian and have the island of Colossa(?) contain creatures produced by ancient magics. I'm taking my time with this tale, for I don't want it to be campy.

I've been thinking of the same idea too; maybe setting it somewhere in the Southern Sea off Iranistan. Let me know how it turns out.

Lair of the White Worm is also an interesting film. It is based on a not so well-known story by Bram Stoker. Albino dragons, virgins sacrificed in an intersting way, to say the least, and snake people. Hard to beat as far as content goes.

Since Akira Kurosawa was mentioned a lot, Ran and the Hidden Fortress (the movie that Lucas was "inspired" by to make Star Wars) are also great. In fact, most of Kurosawa films are great sources of themes for Conan.

I am surprised though that Shakeaspear was not mentioned. Hamlet, definitely Macbeth and even Romeo and Juliet would work with in Hyboria. Ben Hur would be great inspiration for places like Shem and naval combat. Some more classics that are also highly useable are the Three Musketeers and the Man in the Iron Mask. You need to work around the basic plotline in the the Musketeers' case, but the Man in the Iron Mask is quite straightforward.

Some of the older film noir flicks had tough and silent characters that would also be suitable for Conan. I don't know about the Maltese Falcon, but the Dain Curse and Red Harvest, also by Hammet are great.

count_zero said:
Some of the older film noir flicks had tough and silent characters that would also be suitable for Conan. I don't know about the Maltese Falcon, but the Dain Curse and Red Harvest, also by Hammet are great.
You're right: Hammett rocks! I read his stuff 5-6 years ago (before I got into Conan RPG), but I would imagine that all three of those titles could possibly be adapted for Hyborian campaigns. However the Continental Op was supposedly an older, probably over-the-hill guy in his 40's who was portly, IIRC -- the exact opposite of our favorite barbie! It's a stretch but I can totally see Conan toting a tommy gun and fedora, giving a torpedo a one-way ticket to a Dirt Nap, and smacking around gammy gangster molls! :D

See, I had the same problem with Sam Spade. He was a thinking kind of detective; the only one not to get shot in the Maltese Falcon, simply because he never carried a gun. Somehow I find it hard to picture Conan (or most adventurers) follow such a course. Black Rain was also a (more) modern film noir that would work well. I would be seriously tempted to run a Blade Runner adaptation were the replicants are simply constructs created by an evil wizard and used for nefarious deeds. All except one who falls in love with one of the PCs. There are just too many good films out there you could raid for ideas and just not enough time for gaming in my life darnit.

Back on the boards after a long time absence. Have been playing a lot of Conan since my last visit. An old post of mine called theGarden of Xantalos gave some ideas for using a Kong inspired adventure.
Anyhow,the ferry film that rigante is looking for may be called Barquero and starred Lee van Cleef if I remember correctly.
Other films which i have shamelessly plundered are Taras Bulba for its depictions of the Cossack/Kozak brotherhood andThe Warrior and the Sorceress(a bit naff but it is Yojimbo in a Sword n Sorcery setting).It starred David Carradine in the Clint Eastwood role.
For my extended Westermark campaign I plundered an assortment of old movies,The Unconquered starring Gary Cooper by C B de Mille,The Last of the Mohicans Starring Randolph Scott, and Northwest Passage starring Spencer Tracey.

tarkhan bey said:
Other films which i have shamelessly plundered are Taras Bulba for its depictions of the Cossack/Kozak brotherhood andThe Warrior and the Sorceress(a bit naff but it is Yojimbo in a Sword n Sorcery setting).It starred David Carradine in the Clint Eastwood role.

Wasn't Yojimbo turned into A Fistful of Dollars? I saw that a few weeks ago and thought it was not all too bad.

Yogah, You are correct sir! The Magnificent Seven was taken from "The Seven Samuri" too! I bet most of you knew that though.
After WWII, Japanese and American filmakers had access to eacxh others films and realized that westerns and Samuri films had a lot in common and started to take each others stories and ideas. All in the spirit of good films

Yogah of Yag said:
Wasn't Yojimbo turned into A Fistful of Dollars? I saw that a few weeks ago and thought it was not all too bad.

Yeah, and the fistfull of dollars remake was Last man standing Bruce Willis.

Good movies both of them. (if you like gunslinger movies that is)

I'm gonna catch John Carpenter's THE THING on TNT in a few minutes.
I remember it when it came out 20+ years ago.
It scared the $!^@ out of me at the time!
The creature effects IIRC are a plausible source of Cthulhu-ish inspiration.
:twisted: 8)

How could we have forgotten the Dirty Dozen? I just got Across the Thunder Rivre (great job Vincent, really great job) and I was thinking about using this premise to round up my PCs in the equivalent of a penal battalion. Stuck in the middle of the Westernmarck with nothing but cutthroats and thieves inside the wall and bloodthirsty Picts outside it...

Back