Cinematic inspiration

Yogah of Yag said:
I'm gonna catch John Carpenter's THE THING on TNT in a few minutes.
I remember it when it came out 20+ years ago.
It scared the $!^@ out of me at the time!
The creature effects IIRC are a plausible source of Cthulhu-ish inspiration.
:twisted: 8)

I have always wondered why people bring up Carpenters Mouths of Madness and not The Thing as Cthulhu-inspired. It always seemed to me that many ideas from The Thing were pulled directly from The Mountains of Madness more than the old horror flick from which it got its name. I mean is that alien a Shoggoth or what?

The creature effects in The Thing hold up pretty well over the past 24 years. Very viscerally frightening! And the ending! Kinda reminds me of the trick ending of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland.

The Thing is a great movie - not sure how it would look on TV if they cut out some of the best scenes but the DVD is worth the money. The video game was also very good and really captures the atmosphere and tension of the movie. In fact it adds to the movie because your character arrives at the camp after the end of the movie. Very cool and would make a unique Conan adventure. 8)

A teenage boy shows up at a remote police station. He is naked and covered in blood.
They take his fingerprints. The fingerprints are scanned into a database. The results come in by fax:
It turns out that he has the fingerprints of many persons -- men and women -- reported missing.
When the photos of the missing are torn up and reassembled, the boy's face is seen.
The boy, sitting in another room of the police station, has blood pouring from his ears and toes.
The blood slithers over the floor as if with a life of its own, turning corners, moving with a purpose over the floorboards.

the movie: Shallow Ground (with Timothy V. Murphy)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369918/

Just for the record, I think the opening scene in Gladiator, really showed how awesome ancient warfare could have looked like. It almost seemed like a modern WWII battle, with the incredible rain of fire arrows and huge catapults launching death and destruction. Just magnificent.

dunderm said:
Just for the record, I think the opening scene in Gladiator, really showed how awesome ancient warfare could have looked like. It almost seemed like a modern WWII battle, with the incredible rain of fire arrows and huge catapults launching death and destruction. Just magnificent.

Umm....I hate to break this to you, but I think they had a tad more firepower in WWII than ballistae and javelins! :D

dunderm said:

I just watched Gladiator again the other day. Great movie. That opening fight was very well done. I liked how Maximus used different weapons and truly could've easily died - but he had a greater destiny. Like all heroes.

Umm....I hate to break this to you, but I think they had a tad more firepower in WWII than ballistae and javelins!

War! What is it good for? :lol:

I can't watch that fight scene any more without my entire attention being distracted byt the two roman soldiers in the foreground in one of the shots laughing their heads off.

It is so ammusing, yet kinda ruins the atmosphere.

Oh and the chap with the jumper hiding behind a horse!
"Are you shooting? ooops, I'll just get out the way here."

Raven Blackwell said:
Strom said:
War! What is it good for? :lol:

Culling the weak and challenging potential.

This is a Conan webpage Raven. It should be:

Kull-ing the weak and challenging potential. :lol:

That actually describes the Kull movie too...

I just saw the movie Grendel and Beowulf
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402057

It is a great adaptation with scenes very much like the beginning in Conan the barbarian. The landscape is fantastic and the scenery rings "true".
The overall budget was probably smaller than Robert Zemeckis's Beowulf but it is nonetheless very very enjoyable probably because there are few special effects.

It's a great idea for a campaign in Nordheim.

Korppis said:
Any Vietnam -movie (or some westerns like Last of the mohicans) would translate nicely to the pictish wilderness.

Also... Forrest Gumb: dumb cimmerian barbarian trying to maintain his code of honor in civilized society :twisted:

With his Kushite partner Bubba! :lol: :lol:

Rambo

A retired cynical legendary warrior saves some Mitran missionaries from the depradations of an evil despotic army with the help of a ragtag group of mercenaries.

Actually after having recently seened this movie it has occured to me that Sly Stallione wouldn't be a bad older Conan.

Couldn't think of an Hyborian version of the Karen rebels or the oppressors.

Has someone mentioned Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Hills Have Eyes?

Chainsaw could be set in Shem (Shemite Scimitar Massacre). Characters are travelling in some remote area of Shem and are ambushed and imprisoned by a group of shemites. The shemites wear curious leather armours... and their community is suffering from a serious food shortage. Enter characters who can be re-used as armours or eaten straight away!

Hills have Eyes is basically the same story, but could be called Ruins have eyes. . Characters, while exploring some nameless ruins, stumble on a group of degenerated humans / creatures who themselves have been mutated by some sorcerer who died hundreds of years ago.

Actually after having recently seened this movie it has occured to me that Sly Stallione wouldn't be a bad older Conan.

I thought that aswell, pretty close to what i imagine Conan looked like in his older years.

check this one out!!

Mongol

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10006312-mongol/trailers_player.php?IGNMediaID=2344078&playerType=playlist

Back