Cinematic inspiration

Almost anything of Kurosawa's set in feudal Japan:

Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai (or the Magnificent Seven), The Hidden Fortress. The last is a real good one as it has a mixture of characters appropriate to an adventuring party: the female noble, the soldier and two thieves.

Zulu and the Alamo are great siege movies. Especially the Alamo would be good inspiration for Conan since it features famous heroes among the defenders.

Sometimes you can find ideas for adventures where you not expect them. I wanted to convert a Buffy episode into an adventure for DSA (TDE), and I think that it could also work for Conan.
The heroes come to a city where everyone is speaking in rhyme (originally singing) and they have to solve the mystery behind it, before something bad happens. That should be a very funning adventure.

Two words: Iron Man.

Ok, it didn't really inspire me for my Conan game, but damn that was a bad 4ss flick. It actually made me consider playing a supers game for the first time in 15 years.

I watched the Golden Compass last night. It didn't really inspire my Conan game, but it did force me to convert to atheism.

Style said:
I watched the Golden Compass last night. It didn't really inspire my Conan game, but it did force me to convert to atheism.

It forced me to admit that most books should not be made into movies.

Style said:
Errah! Could that girl get anymore stupid! She should just mark "Hay everybody, I'm holding the macguffen!" on her forehead, just to get the story moving! :roll: That movie sucked so bad it would convert Jesus to atheism! :?

I saw the last Boewulf version and wonder what it would be to digitalize a Conan movie.

I also saw some Conan adventure movie with Schwarzzenegger's pal Ralf Moeller but I think it's pretty bad. I prefer then Hercules & Xena.

My family got together for an intervention. They forced me to sit through the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I'm cool with Christ again. My eternal soul has been saved.

Recently watched the new Indiana Jones movie. The imagery going through the jungle and then the Mayan temple was pretty inspiring.

I also really enjoyed the chase scene through the jungle. The feel wasn't quite right for Conan combat, not grim enough, but I took inspiration from it none the less.

In case you haven't heard already, you should go see The Dark Knight. I just saw it last night at the local IMAX.

A villain based on the Joker could be very interesting.

Strom said:
Style said:
In case you haven't heard already, you should go see The Dark Knight. I just saw it last night at the local IMAX.

A villain based on the Joker could be very interesting.

Damn straight Style - my battery is dying but checkout this article on the Cimmerian about REH & the Joker:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=1413

I liked this one: http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=1258

Although I didn't like the implications of this:

The Solomon Kane movie is long gone and we can’t get it back. More’s the pity.

Does this mean SK is going to suck? :cry:

Style said:
I think I liked this one better: http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=1258

Well, yes that blog piece is a review of the movie - eight hundred of those on the web. The link I posted discusses the character Valerius from The Hour of the Dragon as a character closest to the Joker as seen in The Dark Knight. Here's some interesting quotes - in case you did not deem to read that far down the blog:

Valerius, it seems, is ruling “like one touched with madness.” (Given what we know of Numedides/Namedides, the whole dynasty may have overindulged in cousin-marrying) His reign is “a series of feasts and wild debauches,” during which he is given to blaspheming while “sprawled drunken on the floor of the banquet hall wearing the golden crown and staining his royal purple robe” with wine. No post-coronation honeymoon has occurred, merely a rough anti-wooing, assault after assault upon the nation to which he has been joined: “Valerius plundered and raped and looted and destroyed until even Amalric protested.”

The new king is only too aware that he’s a cat’s-paw for Amalric, wielding borrowed power on sufferance:

Yet there was subtlety in his madness, so deep that not even Amalric guessed it. Perhaps the wild, chaotic years of wandering as an exile had bred in him a bitterness beyond common conception. Perhaps his loathing of his present position increased this bitterness to a kind of madness. At any event he lived with one desire: to cause the ruin of all who associated with him.

Accordingly, where Amalric dreams of a single empire, Valerius dreams of a single wasteland. He intends “to ruin the country so utterly that not even Amalric’s wealth could ever rebuild it. He [hates] the baron quite as much as he hated the Aquilonians, and [hopes] only to live to see the day when Aquilonia [lies] in utter ruin, and Tarascus and Amalric [are] locked in hopeless civil war” that will render Nemedia a calamitous chaos as well.

Now that’s an appetite for destruction. In his own way Valerius might be more disturbing than even Xaltotun, the mightiest son of a race of wizards. Like Salvatore Maroni, the Eric Roberts character in The Dark Knight, Amalric has let a mad dog off its leash.

As the signs and portents multiply, as Amalric & Co. thrust their heads into the lion’s jaws while trusting in the Dragon they’ve brought along, Valerius too-brightly suggests killing all of the restorationist forces with a single spell:

Xaltotun stared at the Aquilonian as if he read the full extent of the mocking madness that lurked in those wayward eyes.

Another brilliant touch in a novel chockablock with them; the Pythonian knows what he’s dealing with, can read Valerius like a nihilist manifesto. After Xaltotun details his plan to wash away Conan’s hopes, Howard tells us

Valerius laughed as he always laughed at the prospect of the ruin of either friend or foe, and drew a restless hand jerkily through his unruly yellow locks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if from now on when this particular conclave plays out in my head, the laughter, the jerky gesture, and the (unwashed) yellow locks are all Heath Ledger’s.

Truly as you suggested - a "A villain based on the Joker".

Although I didn't like the implications of this:

The Solomon Kane movie is long gone and we can’t get it back. More’s the pity.

Does this mean SK is going to suck? :cry:

The script is on the web - I have it but have not read it as I will see the movie and then read the script and see what if anything changed. It's an origin story which REH never provided - beyond snippets.

Back