Character Sheet Is Up!!!

burdock said:
oh....and "athletics" is for making a running leap of 5 meters. "Acrobatics" is for somersaulting whilst doing this.

I'm a bit disappointed that Climbing and Swimming have been glommed into one skill. On the bright side, since 'Advanced Athletics' is now covered by Acrobatics, we finally have a mechanic to cover Synchronized Swimming!

JohnLokiBeard said:
I'm a little baffled by Drive though. If it is 'steer a vehicle' rather than 'will to succeed', then 10+POW seems a bit odd - I'd have thought INT+DEX or INT+STR.

Partially steer the vehicle, but mostly steer the oxen (steer the steer?), horses or mules that are pulling the cart. Hence the "will to succed". More like concinveing the animals that they's rather lug around the cart than deal with you if they don't.

wartorn said:
I'm a bit disappointed that Climbing and Swimming have been glommed into one skill. On the bright side, since 'Advanced Athletics' is now covered by Acrobatics, we finally have a mechanic to cover Synchronized Swimming!

What is looks like is that the old skill categories have been replaced with broad ("basic") skill caterogies. The old skills now seem to be "advanced" skills. Probably not too bad an idea. For those skills that people were using at the 10-20% "default" level is doesn't matter much. I suppose if a character was some sort of professional althlete, say a marathon runner, you'd take "running" or "marathon running" as an advanced skill.

Hmm, yep, I agree that the official sheet is ugly. Functional, sure, but ugly, and I'm sure it could be both functional and more attractive. However, I've long since stopped being remotely bothered by official rpg character sheets, as it's almost inevitable a handful of fans will end up producing unofficial sheets that are generally much better anyway, as Malakor has ably demonstrated already.

cheers!
Colin

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
"Persistence" and "Resilience" are obviously saving throws by the back door. It's kinda neat that they can be skilled up, though.

Why they sound like saving throws? Here is my guess:

Perception = scan, search, listen & track skills combined

Resilence = hmm. something... this is little suspicious but...

I really wish they are like that and not any kind of saving throws. For them, I really like to use characteristics.

I'm sorta warming to the idea of Saving Throws as skills. Primarily cos they can therefore be skilled up, so we'll have a situation where a character who sees more of the world becomes more hard-bitten and streetwise (waste-wise?). I know it reeks of d20, and that makes my first instinct be to kick and scream, but I have to accept that it does appeal more to me than the previous situation where both a raw beginner and a grizzled veteran get the same POW x 5 roll.

but I have to accept that it does appeal more to me than the previous situation where both a raw beginner and a grizzled veteran get the same POW x 5 roll.

Well, to be fair, the previous incarnations which used a "Characteristic times X" formula were supposed to represent things based on the raw abilities of the character -- DEX x X for situations in which only the raw agility of the character came into play, POW x X for situations that were based purely on "luck," etc. In theory, those were things that were never intended to be 'learnable skills;' for those, you had, well, skills. :)

I think in an earlier version, they gave the example of being able to grab a projecting root as one fell of the edge of a cliff; that would be a DEX x X roll, as in theory that's based on raw coordination and agility, and is only going to go up as your DEX increases (through training, etc.).

Compare that to a dodge skill, which is based on one's agility and coordination, but is also dependant on experience, such as knowing how swords and blows come at you, how to roll out of the way of a thrown rock and still be ready to act, etc, etc.

But then you also had resisted rolls. An aged Rune Priest had the same chance of demoralizing a foe with a Demoralize spell as a raw recruit, as long as they had the same power.

It sounds like Resilience replaces the Pow vs. Pow roll. And that would be fine.

I think it is Persistence that replaces POW:pOW and Resilience replaces CON:CON. I never had a problem with the stat saves but some players I've had have had big problems with them, not wanting to do multiplications on the fly.

What if Drive, the MRQ skill, has nothing to do with carts or cattle? Mongoose Matt has stated that the MRQ combat would involve a lot of moving around, a very liquid feel with lots of give and take. What if drive involves 'driving' forward in combat, i.e. making an opponent give ground for tactical advantage? A charge for extra damage or to gain ground? All of the above or something similar codified into a skill? And could the DEX saves now be subsumed by Acrobatics and Sleight, which are now apparently default skills?

But then you also had resisted rolls. An aged Rune Priest had the same chance of demoralizing a foe with a Demoralize spell as a raw recruit, as long as they had the same power

Well, assuming the aged rune priest had absolutely zero other abilities, spells or such in effect, well, yeah. It's supposed to represent a matter of raw Will vs Will.

But again, that's all assuming everything is taken in a vacuum. In all likelihood, the aged rune priest -- like any other experienced individual -- will find himself noticeably more able than any raw recruit.

One thing I'm somewhat concerned over is that if these things are now advanceable skill, then it may make things even more one-sided.

In the example, maybe that aged Rune priest is the PC. But maybe that raw recruit is the PC. With all the other advantages there by virtue of experience, having the equivalent of the 'resistance roll' be a advanceable skill makes the advantage stacked against the raw recruit even more. And i'e seen players in the 'raw recruit' position far more than the 'aged rune priest' position... :)

Ah well, I suppose we'll just have to see.

andakitty said:
I think it is Persistence that replaces POW:pOW and Resilience replaces CON:CON. I never had a problem with the stat saves but some players I've had have had big problems with them, not wanting to do multiplications on the fly.[/qoute]

You mean like used Perstience vs. Resistance to affect someone with a spell? Possibly. If RQ is still a roll low game, they probably will expand the critical/special success results into something like a ualtity Rating table to give different degrees of success. Say 1/5th skill, 2/5th's, 3/5th, etc.

This could work as mutipliers for weapon damages too (and explain the new damage system). For example, maybe a rll under skill does normal damage, but one under 1/2 skill does double damage, and under quater skill does 4x damage. Then they would just compare the damage taken vs. Hit Points to determine the imparement.

If RQ is now a "roll high" game, something like this gets even easier.

andakitty said:
What if Drive, the MRQ skill, has nothing to do with carts or cattle? Mongoose Matt has stated that the MRQ combat would involve a lot of moving around, a very liquid feel with lots of give and take. What if drive involves 'driving' forward in combat, i.e. making an opponent give ground for tactical advantage? A charge for extra damage or to gain ground? All of the above or something similar codified into a skill?

Possibly, but I doubt it. It would seem to me that something like maneuver or mobility would be better names. Plus what happens when you step bakc and try to keeep away from your oppent. To you drive/charge in reverse? Is retrat an advanced skill?
I think that most of the maneuvering is probably done under athletics, dodge, and acrobatics (wonder why this wasn't an advanced alteitc skill?).
Maybe combat training gives some advanced maneuver skills too. It would certianly make sense to have a lunge or fletch use a fighting skill.

And could the DEX saves now be subsumed by Acrobatics and Sleight, which are now apparently default skills?

Possibly. Throw in the Dodge and Athletics skills and you got most of the reasons why you make DEX rolls covered.

Persitence might fucntion for the POW roll
Resistience might function or the POW(reist) and/or the CON roll
Influence might function as the CHA roll

---or not.

8)

Maybe Dodge covers stepping back, disengaging, etc. That's how you disengage in Stormbringer 5. As for the other, this is very logical if you consider all the skills on the character sheet to be defaults, with advanced and cultural skills non-default and requiring prerequisites and/or training. And then the advanced abilities in the preview. It almost feels like they are melding the skills and feats of D&D into one interdependent system...

As for names, Drive does feel *aggressive* in that context. Moreso than 'Mobility', I think.

I'm just speculating in any case, like almost everyone else here. I think some of the posters here have at least seen early versions of the playtest. Maybe one of them can clarify.

Another thought. Boating. Why would that be important enough to include in a basic or default skill list? Is MRQ Second Age Glorantha going to have a lot of water based adventures, ship and nautical elements? Specifically, since I know about zilch about Second Age, are any of the empires sea powers? That would be a big switch in the feel of the setting by itself.

Wow.

Does this mean I'm the only one who is distressed about the fact that the new character sheet has no place for a character portret?

I'd have thought that was pretty universal.

yes...The Jrustelli empire (the corporeal outreach of the Godlearners) was a massive sea power...It was only when access to the seas was denied during the Closing (at the very end of the Second Age) that the centers of power shifted inland....

Adept said:
Wow.

Does this mean I'm the only one who is distressed about the fact that the new character sheet has no place for a character portret?

I'd have thought that was pretty universal.

Sorry, I always considered a portrait a waste of space on a character sheet. You certainly do not need to refer to your character portrait during the course of a game. Draw or print it out on a separate sheet and keep it in your folder. That is the way I do it. :)

Sorry, I always considered a portrait a waste of space on a character sheet.

Have to agree, I'm afraid. I mean, sure, it's nice, but that's about the last thing I'm looking for on a character record sheet. And I'm a graphic artist who has drawn pretty much all of his PCs over the years... :)

Alrighty.

I put together a plain vanilla - two page sheet for your adventuring pleasure.

To the person asking for a portrait spot, not much free space on a one or two page sheet, so I'd go along with those who suggested a separate sheet, or you could draw it on the back.

You can obtain these sheets (in individual pages) from the following places:

My Leshan Wiki http://leshan.pbwiki.com/ in the Runequest related section or the Files section.

Hope this fills the needs for a smaller sheet. I'll work on some changes to my journal in the time between now and the release of the book. Any additional comments are always welcome.

Edit: Phaugh! I removed the direct link on my Geocities page :) Stupid thing doesn't have enough bandwith available that it wouldn't even let me get back in to change the file. Since the one on my Wiki works, feel free to use it.

SteveMND said:
Sorry, I always considered a portrait a waste of space on a character sheet.

Have to agree, I'm afraid. I mean, sure, it's nice, but that's about the last thing I'm looking for on a character record sheet. And I'm a graphic artist who has drawn pretty much all of his PCs over the years... :)

Very confusing. To me a good character picture is a much more important play aide (for the actual role-playing) than the numbers on the character sheet. Without the picture the character sheet is just a spread sheet of numbers and text.

Then again I have a truly excellent artist in my gaming circle, and the way I mostly game the character sheets (and game system) are handled by the GM. The players just describe what they are doing and throw dice as the GM asks.

(Hârnmaster, and GURPS mostly, and my own Unisystem games, of course)

Lord Twig said:
Looks good Malakor!

I was able to reach both pages through your wiki, but the individual links go to the same page. :p

Thanks for the heads up Lord Twig. I was going to fix the link, but the page won't even let me back in, says the bandwidth has been exceeded. I'll just leave it up on my wiki page.

Back