Centauri in the new Call to Arms 2nd Edition Preview.

what centauri Commander wants?

• Battle lasser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ion Cannons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
katadder said:
as EP said the centauri arnt losing their beams as such, they are just not their main death dealing weapon any more.
on the vorchan, its more killy and slightly tougher in line with other skirmish ships. me i will be painting up all mine to squadron together. (and alexs vorlons can testify to the effectiveness of a 1e squadron of vorchans - even if it was too loate to change things).

Bwaha, between the amazing 21inch move on a transport (yay, gas giant) and the propensity of my ships to 6/6 crit just when I need it, it was waaay too late! But yeah, even right now, Vorchans are really hard hitters in packs.
I'd say the proposed new version has too much firepower for a skirmish ship myself, but perhaps things have changed since what I was told.

Anything hits hard in packs.
Not sure what the new Vorchan is like, but 18 hit, with SAP instead of AP was a good ship but not broken ( going by memory from 1st ed 1.0 ). The 1st version of Vorchan never needed changed but we got it for some reason.

Point is, that 2 Vorchans hit /very/ hard, I would say way above their weight. One of the ideal Vorlon Transport killers out there - AP, double damage weapons, backed up by numerous TL dice. Manouverable, fast ship. 2 for 1 in points vs raid ships - it's made for flanking, and against a ship with only one arc, it works wonders.

And seems like the proposed redo has more AD of more powerful weapons... probably too much IMO.

Gotta say I'm surprised people dont use them more - I guess the temptation to take Darkners of Maximus is always greater.

alien027 said:
Da Boss said:
re no Beam races - thanks interesting replies - it was something I was actually wondering about rather than a direct complaint but it may have appeared that way. I don't use the Prefect and happy to see it go, maybe the Tertius will go the same way?

Interceptors - I have said my thoughts on this previously and will shut up about it now............. :)

Beleve Me, I use the Tertius and is a very fine ship. It si true than you sacrfice fighters and interceptor, but when this baby shoot , you will not miss the interceptor or fighters. :p

I was not saying the Tertius is not good - quite the opposite.................

Alexb83 said:
Point is, that 2 Vorchans hit /very/ hard, I would say way above their weight. One of the ideal Vorlon Transport killers out there - AP, double damage weapons, backed up by numerous TL dice. Manouverable, fast ship. 2 for 1 in points vs raid ships - it's made for flanking, and against a ship with only one arc, it works wonders.

And seems like the proposed redo has more AD of more powerful weapons... probably too much IMO.

Gotta say I'm surprised people dont use them more - I guess the temptation to take Darkners of Maximus is always greater.

yeah they work against vorlons. but then try them against a narn bat squad, or a EA saggi squad and watch them crumple.
vorchans can be good if you use them right, and they take a bit more thought to use. hard hitting but only one arc.

The Vorchan as per Sky Full of Stars is too fragile to be seriously worth taking. Firepower isn't bad, although not up to some skirmish level ships *cough*Narn*cough* but it dies too easily to be useful.

I'm hopeful about the new version, though. Don't let us down, EP, Katadder, et al. We're counting on you guys...

well to be honest i am trying to get the 2e vorchan downgraded slightly, they went over the top :) but it should be a good ship, as iconic ships should be.

Well, with respect, I disagree. Strongly. For a skirmish level ship, the SFoS Vorchan was woefully easy to kill. In Vassal games my Vorchans tended to die in one or two turns of firing. More hits was the fix the Vorchan needed; more firepower would be nice, bringing it in line with other races' skirmish choices, but not essential to my mind. Speed was good, but the 45 degree turns hurt a bit. With the high speed it needed to move 7" before turning at all, then another 2" to turn 90 degrees. Turning circle was just too damn big.

Lord David the Denied said:
Well, with respect, I disagree. Strongly. For a skirmish level ship, the SFoS Vorchan was woefully easy to kill.

more firepower would be nice, bringing it in line with other races' skirmish choices, .

Fair enough but to my mind Centauri are fragile not tough. EA and Narn are tough. Centauri are "show up, fire guns and ship explodes"

As your second point shows they were undergunned at skirmish

The rest of the Centauri fleet in SFoS isn't that fragile, otherwise the Vorchan wouldn't stand out as poor. The Maximus is tougher at skirmish level, and the raid and above choices are quite tough.

I can live with fast and fragile, if they have the agility to pull it off and the firepower to do the damage they need before they're killed. Undergunned and fragile, now, that's too much... :wink:

Lord David the Denied said:
The rest of the Centauri fleet in SFoS isn't that fragile, otherwise the Vorchan wouldn't stand out as poor. The Maximus is tougher at skirmish level, and the raid and above choices are quite tough.

I can live with fast and fragile, if they have the agility to pull it off and the firepower to do the damage they need before they're killed. Undergunned and fragile, now, that's too much... :wink:

The Maximus is supposed to be tough but comparatively undegunned compared with other Centauri ships, that's the trade off, not necessarily how it is now though.... :wink:

I agree currently they are both fragile and undergunned!

Now that's sorted out, let's talk about fighters... :wink:

I want fighters that are actually worth using, and I want them in enough numbers to be effective. Do I have to switch to EA or have you got more aces up your elegant Centauri sleeves? :p

katadder said:
they getting there firepower to pull it off. and also some help with the turning circle in the agile trait.

But remember than the war betewn Narn and Centauri is legendary. The centauri feet is real balance agains the New Narn feet?

Back