Centauri in the new Call to Arms 2nd Edition Preview.

what centauri Commander wants?

• Battle lasser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ion Cannons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Da Boss --

I have played Dilgar, who have precisely 1 beam die in their entire fleet: boresighted, and in general a complete misfit in the entire fleet. The Ochliavita is even easy to kill. I've avoided these things in the past, and gone purely Bolter and Pulsar.

And, as written right now, by God are the Dilgar nasty as Hell.

Almost Zero Beams? Check.
Crappy War Hulls? Check.
No Stealth on Only Scout? Check.
Crappy Battle Hulls? Check.

Power-gamer race? Probably Check.

The raw firepower the Ochliavita (yes, it's good, I just don't like it as much as), the Omelos (just that d**n good), the Rohric (solid), and most importantly, the Targrath (Time to play The Game!) make this race more than dangerous. If the Wahant was built without the obvious Slow-Loading typo, it would be a good hull, too. And not a single major beam system -- mostly, just minor ones. The Centauri will likely fly in a very similar manner.

And, as anyone downrange of the current Targrath can tell you, it's a vile force to face -- and the Centauri will get Interceptors 1 on some ships (likely, no inside knowledge here) and probably longer range (just a guess, here)? You shouldn't be complaining one darn bit.

who else has nuetron beams as TD? the drakh dont which is where the centauri got theirs from, so precise is a step up.
the minbari have improved nuetron lasers on a couple of ships, and so do the ISA but thats it.

I'm happier with cannon-esque ships - if that means no beams, so be it.

And regarding the vorchan, I'd rather see more guns than cheese.

Chern

re no Beam races - thanks interesting replies - it was something I was actually wondering about rather than a direct complaint but it may have appeared that way. I don't use the Prefect and happy to see it go, maybe the Tertius will go the same way?

Interceptors - I have said my thoughts on this previously and will shut up about it now............. :)

Valen is my name said:
ive never actually played a vree fleet, but im guessing that they wouldnt do too well against an EA fleet.

You'd be surprised... SM is great for staying out of boresight and their loads of AF weapons make EA fighters nearly useless. Also, lets not forget that there are sufficient scouts to make sure everyone is rerolling misses every turn.

SERGE

pwrserge said:
You'd be surprised... SM is great for staying out of boresight and their loads of AF weapons make EA fighters nearly useless. Also, lets not forget that there are sufficient scouts to make sure everyone is rerolling misses every turn.

SERGE

ah yes LOTS of good scouts! and fighter death plus their own fighters aren't half bad

Da Boss said:
re no Beam races - thanks interesting replies - it was something I was actually wondering about rather than a direct complaint but it may have appeared that way. I don't use the Prefect and happy to see it go, maybe the Tertius will go the same way?

Interceptors - I have said my thoughts on this previously and will shut up about it now............. :)

Beleve Me, I use the Tertius and is a very fine ship. It si true than you sacrfice fighters and interceptor, but when this baby shoot , you will not miss the interceptor or fighters. :p

The Vree Xorr is a lousy hull, so you'll want to stay away from it. It tends to die before it even gets to the fight, where it can use its SM capabilities. If you need Skirmish, use Xixx instead.

The Xill and Xaak, however are solid backbones, and the scouts are, well, .... with the superior Stealth and the free CQ upgrade that Vree get, they're Broken. Nothing else to be said.

Haven't ever faced, or run, a Z'Takk, so I have no comment there.

The Tzymm is a EVIL fighter -- which makes it all the more criminal that there isn't a dedicated Carrier to take them to the fight. A marginal dogfighter, it is the nasty Bomber capability linked with good Speed that makes the fighter stand out.

Like I said the first time, beams bad, ion cannons good! Give me canon Centauri, as hard as they're hyped up to be on the show, and you'll see the Lion of the Galaxy roar again!

Shorter ranges on Centauri weaponry will also likely mean more close brawling -- which gives all that Twin-Link and Pulse on the Narn Hulls more to do.

All the sudden, all that short, light firepower on Narn hulls makes naval sense.

And, finally, close-range nasty savagry sounds just like what a Narn-Centauri war should look like. Muy bien.

I thought the ion cannons were going to have longer ranges, well heavy ones anyway & the battelasers for the close in work.

centauri are going to be mid range for most part. Ion cannons are not gonna be huge ranges, they are brawling weapons after all.

centauri style now is like fast sweeping attacks more than anything, cause damage, fly by and sweep round for another run.

katadder said:
centauri style now is like fast sweeping attacks more than anything, cause damage, fly by and sweep round for another run.

So hopefully that means they are going to be getting faster and more turns 8)

katadder said:
centauri are going to be mid range for most part. Ion cannons are not gonna be huge ranges, they are brawling weapons after all.

Sounds cool, fun to play as well.

Back