Centauri in the new Call to Arms 2nd Edition Preview.

what centauri Commander wants?

• Battle lasser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ion Cannons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

alien027

Mongoose
What is going on with Mongoose when they talk about balancing the Centauri fleet? I really don't like to replace the trade mark battle laser for Ion Cannons. I will change a Beam weapon for a TL weapon? Thats is BAD! :evil:

Another thing I'd like to say about the Centauri, if theyre gonna balance the fleet, take a minute with the Volchan please. In the series, the Volchan is the Icon Centauri vessel. Here with a good punch it's a gonner.
I really belive than the Volchan and the Demos should have Dodge.
b5battle2.jpg

And to end, why is the Adira the only vessel with a Neutrol laser than is Double Damage and all other are triple damage? And why the Liati is a war level ship when the WS is a Raid level ship? The Liati should be at battle level as the highest level. Please Matthew, show me the light here. Please and tell us what's going on with the Centauri.

PS:
In this New Calls to Arms, it would be nice to have a miniature of the Centauri station.
centauribase.jpg

Another thing I'd like to say about the Centauri, if theyre gonna balance the fleet, take a minute with the Volchan please. In the series, the Volchan is the Icon Centauri vessel.

I agree. I think the Vorchan should be given a minor boost. :)

I think every one agres the Vorchan should be better......... :)
Would you prefer it heavy hitting or better protected? and the same with the rest of the fleet - I think the former for ships like the Vorchan and not so much for the Capital ships- I see the Centauri perfectly happy to sacrifce Skirmish / Raid ships but not Battle / War so much - but hey there are differing opinions :D - see the thread on interceptors for two contrasting views. :)
I don't think it is at all fair to ask for the Centauri to get both - they are presently a very good fleet. :D
Liati - yes Battle would be great.
Beams - hmm I also many people think that certain centauri ships are too good with their beams etc ? However it has already been stated on the boards that at least one of these is gone - together with a number of ships to reduce the "too many varients" which again I think many would say, myself included, is a good thing.
It seems that whole way to play the fleet is changing - is that good or bad - like eveything, probably both?
So Beams vs Ion Cannon - well I think it is fairly certain from the description and hints that they are not the same Ion cannons as they are at present

The Vorchan deffinitely needs a boost.

Centauri losing battle lasers? YES find a single episode of any of the B5 Series where any centauri ship whatsoever used any form of beam weapon.

There aren't any, it is all pure fiction, the centauri should not have any form of beam weapon, which is why them being the "beam team" is so pathetic and wrong.

This is not a spaceship game, this is B5, and in B5 Centauri do not have beams.

Is there any race without Beams? Would they be playable without them?
I got the impression it was tone them down not remove them completely

Personally I am not really that bothered if the Centari keep their battle lasers, or replace them with Ion Cannons (and) or something else. As long as they stay as hard as they currently are.

In games we have played it seems to use that excluding ancients the Minbari are the hardest race, followed closely by the Centari. Then you have Earth and Narn much of a muchness.

As it stands, you have read a short paragraph in a preview, of a game that is still undergoing playtesting, Who says they loose all battle lasers, they just might not be as prevalent, whats to say that the Vorchan hasn't already been boosted, why should the Adira get triple damage, when the drakh whose technology is used, only have double? I'm all for you sticking up for your race, but you can't really say you know for sure what is going on anyway.

On top of that, their was a very long debate about 8-12 months back I think that EP started regarding the primary weapons of the Centauri, the result was that people wanted them more canon, ie no beams. I doubt very much they will become a no beam race, even the Abbai whose primary weapon is the quad array, get some beams.

I'd like to see a minor increase in the Vorchans offensive capabilities.
I don't mind whether its Beam or Ion. :)

JayRaider said:
I'd like to see a minor increase in the Vorchans offensive capabilities.
I don't mind whether its Beam or Ion. :)

Whilst I would love to see the Vorchan chuck out more firepower, I would rather see it gain a dodge. They already can do a fair chunk of damage, and are fairly hard for Skirmish ships as well as being fast and fairly manouverable, what would really set them as something special would be a +5 dodge :)

alien027 said:
What is going on with Mongoose when they talk about balancing the Centauri fleet? I really don't like to replace the trade mark battle laser for Ion Cannons.

Trade mark battle laser? And in which episode do you ever see them used? :wink: Trade mark Centauri guns are "bloody powerful rapid firing bursts of G'Quan and Avioki death" (TM) :D

The Liati should be at battle level as the highest level.

I think you'll get your wish here...

Da Boss said:

The Vree have no beams. The Dilgar are almost beamless.

But yes the Battle Lasers are toned down not removed entirely. The old twin arrays are made better instead.

I'm losing some of the uniqueness of my Dilgar loadout -- no other race focuses on interceptable, short-ranged Double Damage doom until now -- but I am also in favor of it. It's just unfortunate that those players who were naturally attracted to the Centauri Beam style and tactics have a fleet that doesn't match their philosophy anymore. However, to make an omelet, you need to crack a few eggs....

And, I've been promised some other Dilgar goodness. I just don't want to be disappointed.

as EP said the centauri arnt losing their beams as such, they are just not their main death dealing weapon any more.
on the vorchan, its more killy and slightly tougher in line with other skirmish ships. me i will be painting up all mine to squadron together. (and alexs vorlons can testify to the effectiveness of a 1e squadron of vorchans - even if it was too loate to change things).

Here are the votes for that poll:

How do you see the Centauri fleet?
Battle lasers as primary, twin arrays in close (current)
29% [ 16 ]
Ion cannons as primary, reduce beams to supporting role
40% [ 22 ]
I saw no beams on screen so I want beams gone!
25% [ 14 ]
No opinion or other
3% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 54

But with the new changes you could slice any hull with a +4 maybe can change what people think about the battle laser.

BTW: Emperor, Can you explain why Centauri are the only race with neutron beams as double damage and not triple damage? Remember, You are the emperor. :lol:

Da Boss said:

the vree dont have a single beam weapon! (even the z'takk doesnt have one)

CZuschlag said:
I'm losing some of the uniqueness of my Dilgar loadout -- no other race focuses on interceptable, short-ranged Double Damage doom until now -- but I am also in favor of it.

And, I've been promised some other Dilgar goodness. I just don't want to be disappointed.

The Dilgar as Matt said are getting more missiles, kamikaze fighters and nastier Mass drivers :wink:

alien027 said:
BTW: Emperor, Can you explain why Centauri are the only race with neutron beams as double damage and not triple damage? Remember, You are the emperor. :lol:

The Drakh don't want to give away their best toys now do they? :wink:

Valen is my name said:
Da Boss said:

the vree dont have a single beam weapon! (even the z'takk doesnt have one)

How do they do? Only ever encountered them as minions, I mean allies, of the ISA :)

Back