Calculating Base Power Points

Cavalier3025

Mongoose
According to the way the reading is worded on the calculating base power points I would assume that it would NOT be adjusted if WIS was later increased? Anyone else have an opinion of this?

It is having a signifigant impact on how I weight my stats for my scholar. It would seem having as high a WIS as possible to start with is good and just don't bother raising it later.

-Rob

If Wisdom is increased, why wouldn't your BPP increase? With the exception of retroactive skill points, every time your abilities increase or decrease, the corresponding abilities that depend upon them increase or decrease.

I wish you were right because I would like it to increase as well. It is the exact wording of the calculating BPP sentence that makes me feel otherwise. I actually do not have a book in front of me right now but if some helpful soul can post the exact sentence I think you will see my point.

I do agree it is only implied and we could be reading to much into the exact verbage used. This is one of those rules interpetation that plagues every game in existence. I am not picking on Mongoose saying this is a mistake or errata issue. It is just a slightly tricky point that perhaps needs some "sage" advice.

-Rob

I read it. I don't see it. The BPP is 4 + Wisdom modifier. If your Wisdom modifier increases, so does your BPP. It's not like your BPP is static. It increases by level, too.

did anyone notice that the base Power Points in Conan is 4 (+Wis mod + class modifier) but in Scrolls of Skelos all the NPC sorcerers have a base 6 (+ Wis mod + class modifier)?

Does anyone know if Mongoose wants scholars to have 4 or 6?

Base Power Points is equal to 4 + Wis mod + class mod + any Misc mod This vlue is indeed static.

Thing is your Wis mod, which is part of the equation, is not static. It varies and therefore so does BPP. Same thing with HP and Con mod. So yeah, I'd guess you're reading too much into it.

Yeah, well, for some reason every sorceror in scrolls of skelos regarding to power points looks something like this...

Sorceror: 20th level, Wis 18

Power Points: 14 (6 base, +4 Wis, +4 Scholar)
Total Power Points: 56

the point is that Scrolls of Skelos has NPCs with a 6 base, not a 4 base, as per regular Conan rules. I want to know if this is a goof or they're changing it on us. Personally, I'm in favor of a 6 base. It seems more sorcerous than a 4 base.

So, yeah, I'm reading something into this. That either the NPCs in Scrolls of Skelos need to be redone or a rule has been changed from the core rules to something else in a sourcebook.

Ravager_of_Worlds said:
Yeah, well, for some reason every sorceror in scrolls of skelos regarding to power points looks something like this...

Sorceror: 20th level, Wis 18

Power Points: 14 (6 base, +4 Wis, +4 Scholar)
Total Power Points: 56

the point is that Scrolls of Skelos has NPCs with a 6 base, not a 4 base, as per regular Conan rules. I want to know if this is a goof or they're changing it on us. Personally, I'm in favor of a 6 base. It seems more sorcerous than a 4 base.

So, yeah, I'm reading something into this. That either the NPCs in Scrolls of Skelos need to be redone or a rule has been changed from the core rules to something else in a sourcebook.

I noticed this as well. Some are easily explained:

Mummy of Ahrimain and Spawn of Daggoth Hill templates both add +2 BPP for example.
But that doesn't explain all of them.

-V

Back