Black Cross Officer

Aniyn

Mongoose
Well, I've run out of CAPs that will accept the normal shoulder pad mod, but while looking at a spare female CAP i got an idea, figured it might work if i did something a bit different.
bco.jpg

All the rest of them look like this (except they're dirty now)
bcs1.jpg

I'm wondering if I should stat making more random paint jobs, or if i should stick with the style i've already got. I know the BC troops would probably have bashed together equipment, but I'm worried if I start making all my models different it'll come across as being a bit corny; hence my dilema. So what do you guys think?

Very nice. Id suggest playing around with painting faces, like layering and highlighting, or inking etc...

Aniyn said:
Ya, there's a reason all my other caps have mirrored gold faceplates :(
And me black :p

Would like to see those in person, as for cobbling together, it has to look just right otherwise, the BCs (hehe) will look to corny and wierd :roll:

I think small changes in an army would look good, as long as one sticks to the overall paint scheme. For example, the Black Crosses look different because they fought at X-battle doing X-thing, thus getting their "special" name and scheme. Things like slash marks on a squad for their name or special markings on guns look cool, and still stick to the overall army look.

tjd95 said:
For example, the Black Crosses look different because they fought at X-battle doing X-thing, thus getting their "special" name and scheme.

Haha, ya - they fought at the battle of defection ridge, and saw tons of action during the AWAL campaign :D
Just ribbing you a little - The Black Cross are actually mercenaries, working for independant colonies and raiding whenever they can get away with it. They're in the Citizen's Federation sourcebook for the rpg.

Aniyn said:
tjd95 said:
For example, the Black Crosses look different because they fought at X-battle doing X-thing, thus getting their "special" name and scheme.

Haha, ya - they fought at the battle of defection ridge, and saw tons of action during the AWAL campaign :D
Just ribbing you a little - The Black Cross are actually mercenaries, working for independant colonies and raiding whenever they can get away with it. They're in the Citizen's Federation sourcebook for the rpg.

LOLS :D Totally never saw that :D

:(

WELL, i am in the dark and living on a diet of bovine waste matter and have not got a clue as to what is right, wrong, official or player invented in this topic.

BUT . . . .

i do do have some questions about the BLACK CROSS mercs, like:

why are they wearing FEDERATON issue powersuits? why are they armed with FEDERATION issue assault rifles and other weaponry? how do they legally recruit? resupply? where do they come from? who are they? why does the FEDERATION allow this organization to exist? how do the mercs travel from planet to planet? if they have ships, why does the FEDERATION allow them to be equipped as strikers, instead of dull plodding unarmed transports or mervhant hulls chartered for transit from POINT A to POINT B?

some how, i think that SICON would not be happy having well armed, powersuits mercs (equal to the MI) with their own starships zooming about inside of FEDERATION controlled space like space vikings . . . .

i would tend to think that any merc corporations or companies would tend to be a lot less armed/equipped.

and i would think that, IF, these companies existed, the level of professionalism/training, uniforms, battledress, armor, weaponry, and other equipment would vary from organization to organization.

sure, maybe all or some of them use the same caliber weaponry as that used by the MI, but , there would be other calibers involved as well (look at the real world: 5.56mm NATO, 7.62-mm NATO, 7.62mm WARSAW PACT, the newer, smaller RUSSIAN AK caliber, etc) along with various bore and styles of combat shotguns handguns, grenade launchers, flamers, rocket launchers, LMG, SAW, HMG, etc, available would give thes troops a different look from the MI.

possibly, the soldiers in question have been able to plunder a supply depot for local militia (LAMI gear/weapons, but different battledress)?

what i would suggest, since MONGOOSE is soooooo reasonable about the use of proxies/etc, would be to look at the soldiers (metal and plastic) made by other companies. . . .

even the use of any late 20th century/21st century soldiers or other combatants would do for the HUMAN "MERC COMPANY", REBEL. GUERRILLA, MARAUDER/RAIDER, MILITIA look that y'all want

i highly recommend: MONGREL MINIATURES, MODERN FORCES MINIATURES, BROOKS MINIATURES, TAG MINIATURES, DADI & PIOMBI, BAKER COMPANY, EUREKA (small) which are all 28mm and offer a plethora of nice looking choices.

my own favorites are MONGREL, MO-FO, and BROOKS for sources of modern troops: BAKER COMPANY RVN toys for middle of the 20th century look.

sci fi toys that offer good possiblities and vary in 28mm size close to SST are:

VOID metal/plastics, EM-4 metal /plastics, WZ plastic IMPERIAL and BAUHAUS soldiers, COPPLESTONE, various current product as well as OOP 40K IMPERIAL GUARD metal/plastic soldiers, DEMONBLADE (OOP) CORPORATE TROOPERS, KRYOMEK, SHADOWFORGE, and others, which would supply y'all with a huge varietyof HUMAN troops, weaponry, equipment, etc.

just some thoughts from an old lead/plastic/resin toy magnet!

DAWGIE

They are fully detailed in the Citizens of the Federation SST RPG sourcebook.

They are essentially mercs who operate mostly outside and on the fringes of federated space selling thier servies to unofficial colonies, separatists and other dissdents, trading thier services for food, weapons and parts. They number around several thousand though thier numbers grow each year and they possess a number of starships, including thier flagship the Black Cross (a dreadnought). The black cross as a group have existed for around 30 years and it they first came about after a SICON vessel of troops from the same colony world went to the colony in order to give support when they were being attacked by skinnies. The colonist world turned down help and the vessel was orderd away leaving them to thier fate, but the M.I's who were from the world refused to leave and the vessel deserted and helped the colonists on the planet anyway.

Oddly it is surmised that they may be allied with the Skinnies, despite it being thier skill and history at fighting the skinnies that brought them into being..but it hasn't been confirmed that they are. And in truth they fight more battles against the skinnies than anyone as they are mostly situation on the edge of federation space near skinny space.

almost 90% of the black cross membership come from the military (lot of deserters). and it is currently led by General Red Halloran, who is thought to be the son of one of the original black cross founders.

The black cross are masters of hit and run style attacks avoiding drawn out engagements where possible, no doubt a skill they picked up from thier many engagements with the skinnies who wage war in a similar way.

That's as much as I know, but it makes enough sense.

Back