Any of you have modified the rules?

Vincent791

Mongoose
Considering that I'm starting with the Conan RPG I was thinking about using only some features from the combat and magic system of Conan. But now I'm confused cause I don't know if I could hurt the balance speaking about the mechanics of the game or the experience itself.

Any of you has used some features and left some others out?

I'm asking this cause I've some troubles with the magic system and some proficiences (Arcane Knowledge among others).

Thanks in advance!

Personally I've altered a lot- so much I have two topics ["Raven's Rules..." and "Raven's Errata"] filled with 15 or so pages with ideas. I think I am in the process of rebuilding the whole system from the ground up. I like the system for Combat a lot and a few other things but I had to rewrite the Sorcery system before I was happy with it.

I guess I'm the opposite to Raven; I haven't changed a thing (that I can think of, at least).
There were some minor things that I didn't really like when I read through the rules the first time, but I never bothered modifying or changing them. Basically, I run Conan "by the book", and its worked great so far.

What exactly is it you're thinking of leaving out?

Vincent791 said:
Considering that I'm starting with the Conan RPG I was thinking about using only some features from the combat and magic system of Conan. But now I'm confused cause I don't know if I could hurt the balance speaking about the mechanics of the game or the experience itself.

Any of you has used some features and left some others out?

I'm asking this cause I've some troubles with the magic system and some proficiences (Arcane Knowledge among others).

Thanks in advance!

I run it RAW. I don't change a thing, really. It works as it is supposed to, and the adventures run much like a Howard story.

If you are used to DnD magic, then the new magic system may cause some problems. The easiest way to fix that is to leave magic to the villains. The magic system is not geared for melee combat like it is in DnD. The scholar needs to grab up some weapons (melee, ranged and alchemical), or else work in the background and manipulate the world.

planning on using it all for the reason you said balance :D never sure if I pick an mix if it will not fall apart on me as has happen long time ago in my youth :evil: .ravens rules look great when I get the urge to go more advance will most likley nick them and bits from the cthulthu post she does but best I think at the moment too keep to the rules so both me and my players are happy before or if I change 8)

The only thing I'll maybe change in the future is the players' hit points. Now the players are at the 3rd level, but when they reach higher levels they'll have too many hit points, and that, combined with the armor, could do the combat too slow and not threatening.

Anyway, I'm talking about something I've not tested. :?

BTW... What the hell will become a combat when the players of D&D are at their higher levels? :shock:

Mendoza said:
The only thing I'll maybe change in the future is the players' hit points. Now the players are at the 3rd level, but when they reach higher levels they'll have too many hit points, and that, combined with the armor, could do the combat too slow and not threatening.

I found the 20 hit point massive death threshold has kept that from happening. Also, beyond 10th level, there are no more hit dice or Con bonuses, which help also.

Yeah, and both were good decisions, Vincent.

Bah, now that I think it, maybe it's only a matter of adjust the level of the enemies to the level of the players, arm them with big weapons, make them throw powerful spells... :p

I've modified Conan somewhat. Since I use the Conan rules for all of my FRP needs these days that means my in-progress Kingdoms of Kalamar game got converted. Although I really like Conan's sorcery rules and think they fit Hyboria well, they were a little too harsh/dark for Kalamar.

I introduced the spellcasting rules from the Thieves' World Player's Guide and introduced the character classes from that book as well. That meant coming up with PV/DV values for each class, but was easy enough to do. This also resulted in the removal of the Scholar class. TWPG has Mage, Priest, and Witch for spellcasters and the Savant for the non-magical scholar.

I'm toying with the idea of using WP/VP rather than MDT, but haven't made up my mind. If I were running a Hyboria campaign, I'd probaly just use the rules as written.

Azgulor

Personally I've altered a lot- so much I have two topics ["Raven's Rules..." and "Raven's Errata"] filled with 15 or so pages with ideas. I think I am in the process of rebuilding the whole system from the ground up. I like the system for Combat a lot and a few other things but I had to rewrite the Sorcery system before I was happy with it.

I check "Raven's Errata", it looks pretty cool, some feats are awesome! But I'd like to check the other thread too. Could you give me the link for both threads?

If you are used to DnD magic, then the new magic system may cause some problems. The easiest way to fix that is to leave magic to the villains. The magic system is not geared for melee combat like it is in DnD. The scholar needs to grab up some weapons (melee, ranged and alchemical), or else work in the background and manipulate the world.

Yeah, I guess that's it, I'm used to D&D magic, and although I'm trying not to, I found myself looking for magic missiles and stuff like that in combat. Damn! Play that game for so long have closed my mind to other possibilities (but that can be fixed).

The thing is that I really want to use the Conan RPG magic system, do I have to use it out of combat? How often does magic take part on the adventures? How often in combat?
I know that it's a RPG and I can play the world and the rules as I want, but I'm asking this cause I have troubles with the jump from one system to the other.

Didn't change a thing. It works, the system is good, sorcery rules fit with the theme, so no changes were needed.

Vincent791 said:
Yeah, I guess that's it, I'm used to D&D magic, and although I'm trying not to, I found myself looking for magic missiles and stuff like that in combat. Damn! Play that game for so long have closed my mind to other possibilities (but that can be fixed).

The thing is that I really want to use the Conan RPG magic system, do I have to use it out of combat? How often does magic take part on the adventures? How often in combat?
I know that it's a RPG and I can play the world and the rules as I want, but I'm asking this cause I have troubles with the jump from one system to the other.

Here is a post I made on this thread that sort of answers your question (it is slightly modified from its original wording):

One of my joys of playing Conan the RPG is that I get to see players figure out creative ways to solve a problem without the crutch of sorcery.

The thing I hated most about DnD was the complete reliance of everything on the magic system. Now my players think outside of the box and are a thousand times more creative because they do not have sorcery to fall back on as a crutch. The thing I love about Conan the Roleplaying Game is that it successfully solved the magic reliance issue inherent in DnD. Player Characters live and die by their skills or lack of them.

And when magic enters the equation in Conan, it usually just causes problems because it screws the natural balance - including game balance. I like that. The spells that really distance a person from humanity cause Corruption. I like that. In DnD, humanity does not matter - the game is full of half-breeds, non-human persons and whatnot. It is normal for an elf and a human to converse. In Conan, such would be unnatural, therefore horrifying to humans. A half-breed would be particularly horrifying - his parents did something unnatural.

Raven's rules are great (and wonderfully imagined) if you want your Conan game to come closer to a DnD game. However, those rules miss the point of the RAW magic system, or at least they miss what I enjoy most about Conan the Roleplaying Game and its magic system.

I think a lot of people balk at Conan's magic system because they are too accustomed to the magic crutch offered by DnD and similar games. Suddenly, they are being asked to solve problems with limited technology and little to no magic as support. I think other players may balk because Conan's magic system forces them to decide if they are human or if they are willing to become something inhuman by exerting extreme power over other humans. These players are not understanding what Conan is offering - freedom from a crutch and the power to walk proudly as person who can make his way in the world without artillery, but with only his or her skills and will power -and humanity.

Suddenly Players are asked to think harder and work harder to achieve goals that would be just a wizard or cleric spell away in DnD - including basic survival. Players must also ask themselves if they are human, or if they are they slipping away into something inhuman and distant (a non-concern in most RPGs).

Weather, starvation and natural obstacles suddenly have importance in Conan the Roleplaying Game; these are things that are easily circumvented in DnD. Many DnD spells eliminated the need to have skills at all; why have ranks in Heal when you have Cure Light Wounds and similar spells? Why put ranks in Climb when you can Fly? So many magic items give +10 or more to various skills, making ranks in those skills pointless. Conan spells generally do not do this.

I also like that Conan does not have alignments. Sorry, but most people are not good all the time, nor are they always evil or neutral. Conan explores the human condition better that most RPGs, including magic. If I were to suddenly gain The Force, for example, I probably would turn inhuman - shoot, if someone cut me off while driving, I'd probably use The Force and shove them into a ditch! Conan's magic system reflects the inhumanizing aspect of seriously powerful magic better than most RPGs. Some call that "gritty" or "dark." I call that "human."

The question in Conan is "Is the human spirit strong enough to win the day, or will it fall before the inhuman?"

The RAW magic system in Conan the Roleplaying Game facilitates that question.

Awesome post Vincent, I really agree wih you speaking about the magic in D&D:

In D&D it's like: "Someone is gonna die...meh! we have our cleric to fill HP's!"

That's the part I didn't like of D&D, at least in our party, we never worry about money, about food, about the things we carry, about weapons, about armor, about HP's, etc. Some of this things was because of the DM, but some others because of the system itself.

I was looking for a RPG where the players could feel hungry, where they have to work for the money, steal in order to feed themselves, worry about the state of their weapons, watch their backs from common men, and not just from ogres, goblins, kobolds, and random monsters. I feel that Conan has the potential to do this things, it looks like a perfect world for the kind of adventures I want to play.

Maybe I didn't make myslef clear, but I'm not worried for the Conan system, I'm worried about ME getting into the Conan system.

I guess I'll use just the basic rules (Ability modifiers, Combat, Skills) and then I'll introduce other stuff like Magic little by little.

What would you think are the basic rules I need to start the game? I want to start playing ASAP! :D

One thing that I'm very aware that I've ignored is the "defensive blast" power that scholars have. Self-destructing mages running around the battlefield just doesn't feel very Conan to me at all. I've considered reintroducing it but having it either kill or knock out the caster, making it a real last defence.

I should point out that I don't allow scholar PCs so this isn't a problem for my players just for me running NPCs.

Oly wrote
One thing that I'm very aware that I've ignored is the "defensive blast" power that scholars have.
Me too. If I want a sorcerer to be a menace for the PCs I don't make him 3rd lvl, and that's it.

I'm lucky, none of my Players have a scholar. I pretty much explained to them that at low levels they aren't useful like they're used to in D&D. They are better as an NPC, whether good or bad.

So far, I've only unleashed 1 Defensive blast on them (5d6). I don't think Defensive Blast is a problem. I had the sorcerer casting Ill-Furtune and throw some Stygian Tomb Dust at them to reduce his PP.

If you have a Scholar Player that is gonna wait around till he is surrounded by enemies to unleash, teach him a lesson: Archers.

Zeus said:
That's some good material for a longer S&P essay, don't you think, Vincent?

I suppose if Mongoose wants an expanded version for S&P, I could do that.

That was mostly just me up on a soapbox. I love the Conan system!

Vincent791 said:

I check "Raven's Errata", it looks pretty cool, some feats are awesome! But I'd like to check the other thread too. Could you give me the link for both threads?

Don't know HTML, so no links possible. The topic is still on the front page- it's full name is "Raven's Rules for Sorcery v1.1". If you want a version that is without the internal dialogue just pm an e-mail address and I will send the master file of what I have done so far.

I have also translated a lot of Call of Cthulhu material into Conan statistics in the topic "Conan and Cthulhu". I don't start posting until a few pages into the topic and don't start getting my stuff together until a few pages more, but the good stuff is worth getting to.

Sorcery and the role of magic in the Conan world is radically different than D&D. IMHO, there's no effort for real game balance for Sorcery- it can be awful useless or damn too powerful, but this reflect REH's original stories. In his stories Sorcery was untrustworthy and cold steel more honourable and sane. "Raven's Rules" was an attempt to smooth the Sorcery system out so that it would be easier for players and GMs to grasp and use it as part of the game but retain a more 'low-magic' feel.

Maximo said:
Oly wrote
One thing that I'm very aware that I've ignored is the "defensive blast" power that scholars have.
Me too. If I want a sorcerer to be a menace for the PCs I don't make him 3rd lvl, and that's it.

Not to bring it up yet again, but I replaced DB in own system with "Final Stike" making a true and often final act of desperation as opposed to a common offensive ability.

Back