Modules for the Modular Cutter

Galadrion

Cosmic Mongoose
I'm hoping that the forum regulars here can help me, since my mental filing system seems to have failed me. At some point in the recent past, I was reading some Traveller material which included, among other things, a number of additional modules for the modular cutter. For the life of me, I can't remember what that source was, so I'm hoping someone here can remind me where it was. It included things like a ground base, an ultralight fighter carrier pod, cargo, passenger, and combined cargo/passenger modules, and fuel processing capabilities. Any ideas, anyone?

*Edit*: And, of course, as soon as I posted this I went looking one more time and found it: the Modular Cutter entry in the High Guard Update 2022. Sigh. We're getting too many versions of the core material books; we're going to start needing an index to keep track of where everything is.

Last edited:
I do believe that it was mentioned there were going to be modules for the modular cutter in Friday's Small Craft book, too.

Good. Main reason I was looking for this was the jump cutter in Adventure Class Ships, with the thought of also possibly scaling up the idea, which means that there could be uses for a large number of 30 Dt modules.

I'm hoping that the forum regulars here can help me, since my mental filing system seems to have failed me. At some point in the recent past, I was reading some Traveller material which included, among other things, a number of additional modules for the modular cutter. For the life of me, I can't remember what that source was, so I'm hoping someone here can remind me where it was. It included things like a ground base, an ultralight fighter carrier pod, cargo, passenger, and combined cargo/passenger modules, and fuel processing capabilities. Any ideas, anyone?

*Edit*: And, of course, as soon as I posted this I went looking one more time and found it: the Modular Cutter entry in the High Guard Update 2022. Sigh. We're getting too many versions of the core material books; we're going to start needing an index to keep track of where everything is.

If you are not overly picky about rule system/mechanics, GURPS Traveller had an entire sourcebook called Modular Cutter with loads of Cutter Module variants described. You ought to be able to tweak and retrofit them for Mongoose usage with minimal effort.

Oh nice! I didn't know this was coming. I have been making my own maps for the 30 ton modules for use in conjunction with the Jump Cutter & Mercenary books. Very excited to see what they have for us. Hopefully they will include nice 2D Deck Plans so I don't have to keep subjecting my players to my own renditions! 🤞

As a sneak peek, we have the following 30-ton modules in the Small Craft Catalogue (released tomorrow!):

Armoury
Cattle Transport (cows!)
Cold Passage
Fighter Hangar
Frontier Medical
Life Support
Missile Support
Orbital Outpost
Passenger
Planetary Assault (kick marines out the side)
Planetary Outpost
Power
Public House (mobile pub!)
Relaxation (also known as the chill-out module)
Salvage
Space Borne Early Warning (budget space AWACS)
Tanker
Urban (drop this and the Travellers have everything they need for ground/city exploration)

kMiFu5i9_2707161814351gpadd.jpeg

It sort of evolves.

Fighting Ships gave the hook on the Empire in Star Wars, with the abnormally high application of wedged hull configurations.

Reimagined and Deadlock hints at the the current state of the Confederation Fleet, which is why I tagged the next generation fast dreadnought as the Mercury class.

Cattle Car tells me not to take this stuff too seriously.

The Expanse fits in there, somewhere, likely kinetic point defence, and aesthetics.

Back