ACTA SF

Romulan Firehawk, Fasthawk: I don't know exactly why but the side views of these look better to me than the basic Sparrowhawk. One factor may be the extension of the upper structure onto the neck, which in the side view looks like a longer body and a shorter, straighter neck more reminiscent of a predatory bird. The twin nacelles half way up the dorsal fin, as opposed to a single nacelle on top, reduce the profile height and make it look sleeker, an impression reinforced by the swept wings of the Fasthawk.

Federation NCF: I like it! Different enough to the basic CA to be interesting, but still clearly a Federation design. It might be nice to have the panels on the primary hull conform to the outline rather than be circles, which make it look like a saucer with bits tacked on.

Klingon C7: the discussion amuses me, especially the calls for the same grille forward of the superstructure which provoked complaints on the early version of the D6/D7. Add this to the K'Tinga details already present (engraved line round the bow, raised panels on the front of the engineering hull) and it basically makes a mockery of any complaints about details which risk breaking the licence. :lol:

Klingon FD7: there's a document showing how to convert a Starline 2400 D7 into a FD7 here. The difference appears to be a narrower outer wing leading to the warp nacelle which makes the main wing more swept. Perhaps incorporate this into the Starline 2500 FD7?

AdrianH, no, our license doesn't include anything new that is done to the series. Besides, can you imagine the duck our customers would have if we told them that all their Gorn ships were no longer officially correct? I think me and my Marketing hat would find a deep, secure bunker somewhere!

Jean

Now, for something different, the generic shuttle album is now complete: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150326949038280.361826.231728653279&l=cdc7bfdcdb

You can read the lively discussion on the BBS here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/messages/27411/28424.html?1317607723

Please do remember this is a generic shuttle so think "car" not "2000 Toyota Corolla" when you look at it. At this point Mongoose is planning to do some empire-specific shuttles, but that's down the road a bit.

Enjoy!

Jean

Ooh, thanks for the continued album updates Jean!

The NCF is really nice - the idea of matching the panels / shield grid to the sillhoutte seems to have some merit or 'do something to fill those gaps in' might also work..

C7 - I like its mini warp nacelle! - the block always looked like a bit of a cheat!

FD7 - I really like the extra details, but it, umm, should look 'faster'?

Generic Shuttlecraft - If that's really 'Generic' then I rather like it, nice and blocky and utillity looking - if its 'Generic & the only one the UFP will ever get', then it would be nice if it looked a bit more like the Galilleo....

Greg Smith said:
I have always thought the Kzinti ships look a bit silly - looking like a flattened cat.

You mean like this?
kzin01.jpg

The Federation New Fast Cruiser (NCF) has been approved and we just want you to see that the changes were made. Saucer was made thicker, front phasers were rearranged, missing shuttle doors added. Sandrine decided not to change the pointedness of the saucer or the rings.

The album is here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150330709738280.362564.231728653279&type=3&l=e47233497d

Enjoy!

Jean

Edit: The Romulan FastHawk final picture is up and the Federation Strike Cruiser final picture will be up in about an hour.

Ooh, new designs!! (I'm perplexed that the NCF now doesn't match the Fast Crusier - but as I liked both styles hey now there is one of each!)

Hmm, the Kzinti ship...I was really excited about that but..

The Current draft looks, well, exactly like the SL2400 model (engine fix aside) - was sort of hoping for something a bit more exciting (detail on the undersides...rounder edges..more hull detailing...whiskers - okay, maybe not whiskers) - I suppose as an opening draft the perfectly fine current style is an okay starting point but it needs some va va voom or a slight 'kzinti wide' modernisation if its going to look 'wow'!... at least for me!

Klingon "D7": various cosmetic details making it look like something from TNG, DS9 or "Enterprise", plus some sort of outgrowth on the aft superstructure making it look unlike a D7, mean this one is definitely off my shopping list.

Federation NCF: shame the panelling wasn't fixed; as it is, it looks like the shipyard could have built the whole primary hull as a single piece but decided to make some ill-fitting panels anyway. But apart from that, it's still a nice looking ship and I'll probably have at least one.

Romulan Firehawk: already my favourite of the Hawk series, now improved by reducing the profile even further. I'll probably have one of these for display, regardless of whether I find a use for it in games.

Back