ACT: SF, Most Anticipated Fleet

Spike1382

Mongoose
So what fleets are you most interested in getting to play that have not been released or stated? I think for me it is the Andromedans. They have a cool back story and I love the old minis. I imagine the new ones will be even better. Not expecting them any time soon though.

I don't think I had a most anticipated fleet. Sure, since I have the other fleets other than Orion, having the other 2 (Lyran and Hydran) will be fine.

I'm more anticipating other things, like cleaned up rules and a re-issue of the rules (ACTA:SF V2), and Fighters/Gunboats.

I am just looking forward to getting in more variety of ships of the current fleets like the B10 for the Klingons :) oh and the Reliant.

Of the "native" Alpha Octant empires, the one I'd be most interested in is the Inter-Stellar Concordium, who I hope will be offered alongside the Andromedans in a future ACtA:SF volume (as they were paired together in both SFB Module C2 and FC: War and Peace).

The Andromedans would be equally interesting, both in terms of how they would offer a unique challenge on the tabletop, and in how they thematically open the doors for other regions of the universe.

Plus the Paravians of SFB Module C6 would be interesting, not least in how very differently they would have made things for the ISC and others had they remained as a power in the Alpha Octant.

And it is those non-Alpha regions which I am most hoping will make it into this game system (and into Starline 2500) someday. Whether it be the wild and warlike Omega Octant, the pocket galaxy-turned-Andro interchange station in the Lesser Magellanic Cloud, the new stars to conquer out in theTriangulum Galaxy, or the looming threat from the other side of the Milky Way of the Xorkaelian Empire, there are a lot of new worlds and far frontiers for the setting to explore.

(And in the case of Omega, a pair of Alpha exile factions help add their own variety to the mix; be it the Federal Republic of Aurora struggling to secure its footing in a dangerous region of space, or the Paravian exiles who are set to go down a very different development path on their side of the fork dividing them from the "what-if" Alpha-Paravians of C6.)

And then there's the "when", on top of the "where". Be it going back to the "TV era" in the Middle Years, or further back to the dawn of tactical warp combat in the Alpha Octant in the Early Years, or on to the next iterations of starship design through first- and second-generation advanced technology, new (and old) eras could offer their own variety, along with the new settings (some of which would have technological progressions of their own to consider).

But then, I'm guessing that even if ACtA:SF's further expansion gets back on track any time soon, it may be quite a while before the ISC and Andros get in, let alone any of the non-Alpha settings (or non-Main Era time periods). But still, I'd like to think that, so long as the joint venture is locked in for the long haul, they may get their chance once the usual suspects are cleared over the next few years or so.

As far as I'm concerned I would personally love to have the ISC as a faction, partly because I love their ship design and partly because I feel like more people should be introduced to the anti-federation. Some thing I would love to see, a long off dream and probably not gonna happen anytime soon, would be the Carnivons from C6. Mind you it's mostly for the hope of having SL2500 Carnivons.

scotty3p said:
oh and the Reliant.

Not happening, ever. Licensing. NCL is the SFU equivalent (at least in the old Starfleet Command PC games).

Me, I'm after the Lyrans. Might even see PFs appear along with them (please ?) Always my fave ships to fly in the SFU and the SL2500 renders look fantastic. Besides, I've already got Kzinti for them to nibble on :)

scotty3p said:
I am just looking forward to getting in more variety of ships of the current fleets like the B10 for the Klingons :) oh and the Reliant.

You can always kit-bash a Reliant-like mini. For most anticipated ships, B-10 is definitely the top of my list. I love that the Klingons just pouring their entire econemy into making one giant super ship to win the war. If I ever actually play Federation and Empire I really want to play as the Klingons and do that, even if it is a terrible idea. :D

Derailing my own thread briefly, does anyone know if Memory Alpha is canon in the SFU?

Focke-Wulfe said:
As far as I'm concerned I would personally love to have the ISC as a faction, partly because I love their ship design and partly because I feel like more people should be introduced to the anti-federation.

I'd argue that the Mæsron Alliance in Omega is more of an "anti-Fed" than the ISC, given its more turbulent history from Alliance to Empire to Collapse to Renaissance, and how the cracks which formed between the three founding species led to one of their number (the wolf-like Vulpa) going from seeking to dominate their fellow Mæsrons as "first among equals" to fighting instead to establish their own rival empire (the Vulpa Confederacy) later in the Omega timeline.

The Concordium, like the Federation, is much more internally stable in the modern era. (More so, since the ISC had no equivalent of the Orion secession during the General War.)

Spike1382 said:
Derailing my own thread briefly, does anyone know if Memory Alpha is canon in the SFU?

Nope. The ADB website is a good place to find various historical documents relevant to the Star Fleet Universe.

Nerroth, not gonna lie but the only area of SFU history i consider myself 'knowledgeable' and even then just barely is the Alpha Octant. I try my best to get what I can about the other octants through osmosis of conversations here and on the Fed Commander forum. Either way i feel like the ISC would be an interesting faction to introduce in ACTA, even though the Maesrons [how do you do the special icon when typing?] are probably more anti-federation.

Back to on topic, I did some more thinking as i was rearranging my Fed Commander counters, and I would also love to see the Seltorians make a debut along with the Neo-tholians. Maybe even in the same book seeing as how they came out in the same Fed Commander publication [is 'module' still applicable for those?].

Back to on topic, I did some more thinking as i was rearranging my Fed Commander counters, and I would also love to see the Seltorians make a debut along with the Neo-tholians. Maybe even in the same book seeing as how they came out in the same Fed Commander publication [is 'module' still applicable for those?].

Hopefully they will get covered in the book after 2nd/Revised Edition. If Sky Full of Stars is any indication we might get a whole mess of new races. I would expect at least the other races from The General War, ISC, maybe the other major post war invaders like the Andromedans, and Seltorians.

Focke-Wulfe said:
Nerroth, not gonna lie but the only area of SFU history i consider myself 'knowledgeable' and even then just barely is the Alpha Octant. I try my best to get what I can about the other octants through osmosis of conversations here and on the Fed Commander forum. Either way i feel like the ISC would be an interesting faction to introduce in ACTA, even though the Maesrons [how do you do the special icon when typing?] are probably more anti-federation.

My computer's keyboard is set to Canadian Multilingual Standard. I'm able to hold down the right Ctrl key when typing "a" to get "æ". (On my older computer, I had to cut and paste from the character map program instead.)

If it helps, there is some info in the Omega thread here on these boards, as well as on ADB's Omega setting page. I could also talk about the files you'd have to spend money on, but that might be best covered in the other thread instead.

But I agree that the ISC would be interesting to see. Indeed, I'm hoping that more of their "war" classes (which were built in response to the Andromedan invasion, and which I hope might be more prevalent in one of the "Paravian timelines" shown in Module C6) might surface in the Starline 2500s in time. And in the longer run, I'd wonder how the five pre-ISC planetary fleets first published in SFB Module Y2 might look, in the event that the Early Years setting were to be worked up for ACtA:SF one day.

"Module" is as good a term as any, sure. And I also agree that it makes sense for the Seltorians to be done at the same time as the Neos, both to allow for home galaxy battles (to include those featuring the fearsome Battlewagon from FC: Battleships Attack) and conflicts fought in the Milky Way.

Hell, if there was spare room for two odd ships on that production block, I'd even want the two home galaxy pirate ships featured in Captain's Log #40 to be added to the mix. (There's an article in CL41 which explains the origins of the old galaxy pirate bands, which perhaps could be added to the background section of the corresponsing book volume.)

Spike1382 said:
Hopefully they will get covered in the book after 2nd/Revised Edition. If Sky Full of Stars is any indication we might get a whole mess of new races. I would expect at least the other races from The General War, ISC, maybe the other major post war invaders like the Andromedans, and Seltorians.

I doubt there would be so many new empires in a single go. (Or even as many as A Call to Arms: Noble Armada was able to add through its own Fleets of the Fading Suns supplement.)

The first ACtA:SF book uses the same ships seen in the first four Federation Commander modules (plus their associated Ship Card booster packs), and was done with a certain limit of ship models that could be cast as part of Starline 2500's first wave of releases.

Whether or not the same 4-FC-modules-per-ACtA:SF-book ratio would remain in place remains to be seen, but it seems that the same number of new moulds per wave would still be a factor for each new wave going forward.

Which likely means that, given the demands that each new empire would place on getting their respective ships added to the line, along with any new hulls to be done up for the pre-existing factions, this likely puts a built-in limit on exactly how many new powers can be added to the game at any one time.

At least, I would hope that the kind of empire groupings seen in FC and Starmada might still be in play here; so we'd see the Lyrans grouped with the Hydrans, LDR, and WYNs, the Neo-Tholians with the Seltorians, the ISC with the Vudar and Andromedans, and so on and so forth. (And for the same concept of grouping notable adversaries into a shared volume to carry on to new settings like Omega, where there is no shortage of such rivalries to work with.)

Most anticipated? Hard to say. Of the main races from the SFU, the Romulans are probably my favorites and they are more or less already here. Of the others, I'd love to see the Tholians/Neo-Tholians get properly done, and the Hydrans would be a welcome addition (in part because they would necessitate the introduction of fighters to ACTASF). I'm looking forward to seeing the perennial underdog, the WYN Cluster, with their fish ships and converted freighters, too.

Of them all, though, I guess I would have to say the Andromedians. The were a very cool addition to the SFU, with some unique ships, systems and tactics. :)

Squadron20.jpg

Uhlaaaaaaa!

Ideally I'd love to see a fully expanded system that incorporates more of the star trek universe - but that would require a mass of additional licences that may stretch the mongoose budget somewhat, although then again it's not like the TNG era stuff is doing much these days. :D

Of the available fleets, the Lyrans and Hydrans look pretty interesting design-wise and a fully expanded Tholian or Orion fleet would definitely be interesting background and rules-wise.

Arch Lector Petrovski said:
Ideally I'd love to see a fully expanded system that incorporates more of the star trek universe - but that would require a mass of additional licences that may stretch the mongoose budget somewhat, although then again it's not like the TNG era stuff is doing much these days. :D
As others have said, it’s never gonna happen. :?

In any case, it’s not an issue of Mongoose's budget as the license from Paramount is held by ADB. We're all just lucky they (or TFG?) was able to obtain a license for ST:TOS back in the dark times, between the end of the original TV series and the release of the first movie, when it was evidently relatively cheap. Now, with their own version of the Star Trek universe (the Star Fleet Universe) so fully developed, I tend to doubt they would want to pick up the expanded TV/movie universe anyway as it would require dismantling literally decades worth of work to fit it into the existing game system. :wink:

Ideally I'd love to see a fully expanded system that incorporates more of the star trek universe - but that would require a mass of additional licences that may stretch the mongoose budget somewhat, although then again it's not like the TNG era stuff is doing much these days.

It would be relatively simple to switch out new models and use existing ships. Sure you would need some conversions, like Klingon clocking devices, but these are relatively simple to work out.

Spike1382m you can always put the cloaking device on Klingon ships if you want, but it will never happen officially because again that only happens in TNG period, not The Original Series. In the SFU universe the Romulan Empire never give their Cloaking Devices (I can't remember if there was a comment that some of the Houses in the Empire may have equipped a few 'loyal' Orions with the Device, but I think even then it was rare.) to anyone, it is their weapon that gives them the edge onother races. Most Orion Cloaking devices are captured units. Does make one wonder how the Orions got them to work when no-one else could, but a 'plausible' reason is the Stealthy design of their ships!?

Lord Hastings said:
Spike1382m you can always put the cloaking device on Klingon ships if you want, but it will never happen officially because again that only happens in TNG period, not The Original Series. In the SFU universe the Romulan Empire never give their Cloaking Devices (I can't remember if there was a comment that some of the Houses in the Empire may have equipped a few 'loyal' Orions with the Device, but I think even then it was rare.) to anyone, it is their weapon that gives them the edge onother races. Most Orion Cloaking devices are captured units. Does make one wonder how the Orions got them to work when no-one else could, but a 'plausible' reason is the Stealthy design of their ships!?

In F&E there is a special rule that REQUIRES the Klingons to "swap" a squadron of D5 hulls to the Romulans and get a squadron of Sparrowhawks in return. I believe the rule is there to reflect a special situation where 3 Klingon D5s got "cut off" from Klingon territory and somehow ended up with the Roms (who converted them into Rom technology, complete with cloaks). The addition of Rom technology made the D5s pretty good ships, whereas the Sparrowhawks the Roms sent the Klingons were, meh, okay, but didn't have cloaks and were converted to Klingon technology.

Star Trek Online, Star Trek Tactics, Star Trek: Attack Wing...

Although it might be interesting to open up a new era a century or two down the road, as it was mentioned above, the main universe and SFU have become fairly divergent, and it would be difficult at best to reconcile the differences with a "SFU: TNG" expansion of some sort.

Not to mention the licensing headaches that'd be involved with CBS owning most the franchise instead of Paramount now...

Back